How do Sabres reach cap floor next year and penalty for failing to do so?

matter2003

This doesn't seen accurate...

@DaveDavisHockey: If Sabres buy out Leino, give 15% raises to RFA's & don't sign UFA's, they'll have to find 3-4 guys to pay a TOTAL of $6-7M to reach floor.

It is absolutely accurate. Go to CapGeek and do the math for yourselves. I ran the numbers with all sort of different scenarios and getting the cap payroll over $51 million or so isn't that easy. We have to sign some guys. Even if the cap floor is $48 million we still need to sign one or two high priced players.

It is absolutely accurate. Go to CapGeek and do the math for yourselves. I ran the numbers with all sort of different scenarios and getting the cap payroll over $51 million or so isn't that easy. We have to sign some guys. Even if the cap floor is $48 million we still need to sign one or two high priced players.

You read the tweet wrong. He's saying it'll be easy to get there. Saying they'll only be $6-$-7 million away after a Leino buyout and resigning of RFAs.

You read the tweet wrong. He's saying it'll be easy to get there. Saying they'll only be $6-$-7 million away after a Leino buyout and resigning of RFAs.

If you resign the RFAs, that cap hit doesn't take effect until the next year, though, right? They're still playing out the remainder of whatever contract they're on for 14-15, and the new salary will take effect in 15-16.

If you resign the RFAs, that cap hit doesn't take effect until the next year, though, right? They're still playing out the remainder of whatever contract they're on for 14-15, and the new salary will take effect in 15-16.

No. Restricted free agents don't have existing contracts.

For the record: there is zero possibility that Chicago lets Kane go.

Depends on what you mean by "let go." They won't decide to move him/let him go, but there's always a chance he decides to leave. I don't think he'll make that decision, but there's always a chance.

Depends on what you mean by "let go." They won't decide to move him/let him go, but there's always a chance he decides to leave. I don't think he'll make that decision, but there's always a chance.

/message

Just remember the next time someone makes a fringe statement like this and you're on the verge of freaking out on them for it: no one is freaking out on you for your fringe statement.

/end message

I'm not sure they even buyout Leino this year anyways unless they just had to open up a spot on the roster and even if they did, they don't have to use the complaince buyout, just use the regular one that counts against the cap to help reach the floor. I just don't see any big name free agents coming this summer and probably won't have a lot of room on the active roster if they want to bring a couple guys up. Wasn't there a rumor (not sure if it was true) that TP said Tallinder would also stay here until he retired if that is what he wanted to do?

They HAVE to buyout Leino. You can justify having that contract on the books throughout. Can't justify having Leino's cap number counting against the cap for that long. This offseason is the deadline for compliance buyouts. If they don't buy him out then it's a joke.

What a terrible contract.

Edited by Tankalicious

They HAVE to buyout Leino. You can justify having that contract on the books throughout. Can't justify having Leino's cap number counting against the cap for that long. This offseason is the deadline for compliance buyouts. If they don't buy him out then it's a joke.

Agreed. Buy him out, sign two mid-level guys to 2-year, over priced contracts to make up the cap hit.

They are not going to suffer with the salary cap for quite a long time. If they kept him on the roster for next year where they are still not trying to win, then it makes sense to keep him for the year and then use a regular buyout... like I said of course unless they need to make room on the roster to promote players in the system. Over priced rentals is the same as having him so why make the change? You think next year will be any different than this year? It just doesn't make sense for TP to spend another 4-6 million dollars to rehire overpriced rentals for a losing effort.

Edited by Hellinator

They are not going to suffer with the salary cap for quite a long time. If they kept him on the roster for next year where they are still not trying to win, then it makes sense to keep him for the year and then use a regular buyout... like I said of course unless they need to make room on the roster to promote players in the system. Over priced rentals is the same as having him so why make the change? You think next year will be any different than this year? It just doesn't make sense for TP to spend another 4-6 million dollars to rehire overpriced rentals for a losing effort.

If they wait and buy him out with a regular buyout they'll end up with a cap hit for twice as long as if they kept him around for the whole length.

Also, I think it's more about the 50 contract limit than the cap. Spending money is easy, having trade flexibility with the contract limit is much more important.

Over priced rentals is the same as having him so why make the change? You think next year will be any different than this year? It just doesn't make sense for TP to spend another 4-6 million dollars to rehire overpriced rentals for a losing effort.

I disagree. While the Sabres may be doing everything they can to ensure top picks, letting a cancer like Leino fester and grow will kill the spirit of this hockey team. Give me a player who tries hard but isn't very effective over whatever Ville has become.

Overpriced rentals won't be signed for the next 3 years, easy as that. I'm hoping that by the end of the 15-16 season (where Leino would still have one year left), the Sabres will be playing well enough to attract some FAs.

Plus, if for nothing else, anyone they sign won't be as bad as Leino is playing right now. I'd think that between two new guys, they might be able to pot a goal or two.

I disagree. While the Sabres may be doing everything they can to ensure top picks, letting a cancer like Leino fester and grow will kill the spirit of this hockey team. Give me a player who tries hard but isn't very effective over whatever Ville has become.

D'Agostini!

I agree that you can't keep arguably the worst player in the league on your roster at a ridiculously high $4.5 million per year simply to hit the cap floor. That doesn't do anyone any good (coaches, fans, other players, etc.).

If they wait and buy him out with a regular buyout they'll end up with a cap hit for twice as long as if they kept him around for the whole length.

Also, I think it's more about the 50 contract limit than the cap. Spending money is easy, having trade flexibility with the contract limit is much more important.

Definately agree but it was being suggested to get rid of his contract and hire 2 other mid range overpaid players. Elliminating 1 for 2 didn't make sense to me when it comes to contracts either.

As far as we can't keep Leino at his 4.5 per year Potato, I say why not? We have done it for 3 already, he'll probably be hurt for half the season anyways..and hes not making 4.5 mill anymore as it's starting to go down now since his bonus is paid already... but his 4.5 cap could help hit that floor without having to hire 2 scrubs to fill it. Just my opinion anyways..not like I like seeing him play or anything. If we buy him out after next yr I think it would be 2/3 of 7 Million over 4 years on a buyout so it would be like 7 Million x's 66.666 % = 4,666,620 divided by 4 = 1,166,655 per yr.............You take that and subtract if from the salary for each yr and then subtract the savings from the annual cap hit of 4.5 and for 2015 and 2016 cap hit is 2,166,655 then in 2017 and 2018 we would actually get a credit of 1,116,655 each yr allowing us to increase our cap slightly when we will probably need it more. See little savy moves like this could benefit us down the road.

Edited by Hellinator

Definately agree but it was being suggested to get rid of his contract and hire 2 other mid range overpaid players. Elliminating 1 for 2 didn't make sense to me when it comes to contracts either.

As far as we can't keep Leino at his 4.5 per year Potato, I say why not? We have done it for 3 already, he'll probably be hurt for half the season anyways..and hes not making 4.5 mill anymore as it's starting to go down now since his bonus is paid already... but his 4.5 cap could help hit that floor without having to hire 2 scrubs to fill it. Just my opinion anyways..not like I like seeing him play or anything. If we buy him out after next yr I think it would be 2/3 of 7 Million over 4 years on a buyout so it would be like 7 Million x's 66.666 % = 4,666,620 divided by 4 = 1,166,655 per yr.............You take that and subtract if from the salary for each yr and then subtract the savings from the annual cap hit of 4.5 and for 2015 and 2016 cap hit is 2,166,655 then in 2017 and 2018 we would actually get a credit of 1,116,655 each yr allowing us to increase our cap slightly when we will probably need it more. See little savy moves like this could benefit us down the road.

For the 300th time, they will have no problem reaching the floor. They do not have to sign anyone to ridiculous contracts and they can buy out Leino if they choose. It doesn't matter .

For the 300th time, they will have no problem reaching the floor. They do not have to sign anyone to ridiculous contracts and they can buy out Leino if they choose. It doesn't matter .

What if they buy out Leino not on a compliance buyout, but on a regular one? That makes it even easier, right?

Buying Leino out regularly is not an option, in my opinion. Then you're going to have a cap hit for years into when the team will want to spend to the cap and be competitive. A compliance buyout makes too much sense and they still wouldn't have an issue getting to the floor.

Buying Leino out regularly is not an option, in my opinion. Then you're going to have a cap hit for years into when the team will want to spend to the cap and be competitive. A compliance buyout makes too much sense and they still wouldn't have an issue getting to the floor.

I just showed you that if you keep him next year and buy him out.. he would have a cap hit for 2 years of 2.166 (15/16) and then a cap credit for 2 years after that (17/18) for 1.166 (which is when you would need the extra room)

I just showed you that if you keep him next year and buy him out.. he would have a cap hit for 2 years of 2.166 (15/16) and then a cap credit for 2 years after that (17/18) for 1.166 (which is when you would need the extra room)

So we should use a compliance buyout on him and be done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.