Sabres claim Conacher off waivers from Ottawa

Hoss

Murray "I want competition. I want one of our draft picks to be pissed off we got CC". :thumbsup:

I loved that quote.

Well we like to joke alot, but conacher is high energy 3rd line guys for me on a good team that can fill in the top 6 spots during a game when needed.

Don't see anything more in him than that.

I think he has the potential to be a solid 2nd line winger in the right situation, as Murray said, he's a complementary piece. I almost imagine him being sort of a skilled player who's production relies on that of other players. He couldn't lead us to a Cup, but could assist a team in getting there. I'm not sure where he'll go after this season, if he hits it off with Ennis or Hodgson he'd likely be signed at least for a couple years. If not, who knows. As for your estimation, I'd mostly agree. On his own he's nothing more than energy guy on the 3rd line; however with the right line mates, he could be a solid 2nd liner as his time in Tampa Bay showed.

I knew nothing of him. But in reading about him, this was the start of his first full season in the NHL - 4 goals in 58 games and a bunch of healthy-scratches too. Is there a reason we need a new, less-productive Gerbe?

EDIT - the kid does have some potential - he scored 3 goals for Ottawa last year in the playoffs. Maybe Nolan can work his magic with him? Salary is cheap enough - why not?

Edited by Jsixspd

I knew nothing of him. But in reading about him, this was the start of his first full season in the NHL - 4 goals in 58 games and a bunch of healthy-scratches too. Is there a reason we need a new, less-productive Gerbe?

I've seen a bunch of people throw out Gerbe's name in reference to Conacher. Cory is listed at 5'8" 180 lbs. This is the size of an average human. Gerbe is 5'4", that is circus freak short for a dude let alone a professional athlete. Can we stop making the comparison?

Cory Conacher has some potential. He is smaller for an NHL forward but he has good speed and hands. He is an NHL ready guy that may be able to contribute some points going forward for us and he definitely adds skill.

According to Elite Prospects

Cory Conacher: 5'8" 176lbs

Nathan Gerbe: 5'5" 161lbs

Sabres want Canisius product Cory Conacher to help establish new culture

BUFFALO – Cory Conacher woke up early Wednesday morning knowing he’d have a new team by noon. The ensuing hours weren’t easy. The 24-year-old winger said he experienced a mix of excitement and sickness passing through waivers.

Finally, late in the morning, the Canisius College product found out the rebuilding Sabres had claimed him from the Ottawa Senators.

“I’m very excited,” Conacher told the Times Herald by phone Wednesday afternoon. “It was a long 24 hours, but luckily it worked out in my best interest.”

Conacher said the Sabres were “near the top of the list” of teams he wanted to join. He expects to meet them Friday in Florida because of immigration work.

@BillHoppeNHL

Cory Conacher won't play Thursday, hopes to join #Sabres Friday in Florida. Guy is very excited about coming to Buffalo, a "second home."

Any chance he's going to be able to play tonight? I know there was talk he had some immigration issues but I haven't heard any update on that yet.

AFAIK, the plan is for him to make his Sabres' debut tomorrow against the Panthers.

Looking like Conacher and Neuvirth will both make their debuts against the Panthers. Should keep the interest alive a bit after the potential drubbing against TB tonight. :thumbsup:

Looking like Conacher and Neuvirth will both make their debuts against the Panthers. Should keep the interest alive a bit after the potential drubbing against TB tonight. :thumbsup:

Sweet, both teams get to have their shiney new goaltenders debut on the same night, Buffalo fans get Neuvirth and Florida fans get Luongo

• 1 month later...
Seems to the kind of cultural influence you need. He's a winner, from his wiki page:

In the 2011–12 season, after attending the Tampa Bay Lightning pre-season camp,[3] Conacher was selected to play in the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic, after leading all rookies in scoring. While leading the Admirals in goals and points, Conacher signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Admirals' NHL affiliate, the Tampa Bay Lightning, on March 1, 2012.[4] Upon helping the Admirals capture their first Calder Cup, Conacher's successful season was rewarded with the Les Cunningham Award as the league's MVP, becoming just the fourth rookie to win it since it was first presented in 1948. Conacher was subsequently awarded the Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award and was also named to the AHL All-Rookie team and the Second AHL All-Star Team.[5]

Also:

. Conacher's offensive struggles were perhaps magnified by the fact that goaltender Bishop, the player he had been traded for, was playing very well in Tampa Bay and was frequently receiving mention as a Vezina Trophy candidate. On March 4, 2014, the eve of the 2013-14 NHL trade deadline,

Could be his was a headache to management simply because of that?

And perhaps more info than anyone wants:

Conacher was born with a rare condition in which his bladder was outside his body. As a result, he underwent a ten hour surgical procedure at only five days old in which doctors reconstructed his pelvis in order to place his bladder back into his body. The situation was so severe that doctors informed his parents that he might never walk properly.[9] Additionally, Conacher has suffered from Type 1 Diabetes since the age of eight. When not playing he often has an insulin pump attached to his hip to regulate his sugar levels.[1]

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.