All about St. Louis's Blues

darksabre

That's like when the Sabres had the best offense. They did a great job of not scoring when they really needed to.

You don't become the best team in the league with the second most goals by "not scoring when you need to." They have a player who is tied for the sixth most goals in the league and multiple other players who can score. Jaden Schwartz is one of them. Berglund and Oshie can score.

It's been their problem for a while now. Remember when the Predators underwhelmed in the playoffs because they couldn't score? That's my fear for the Blues.

I'm not even sure how the playoffs work anymore. Can they face LA in the 1st round or only the conference finals? I'm looking forward to that matchup. I can see LA grinding out 2-1, 3-2 wins, and the added pressure of playing Quick while starting to physically fizzle....

I hope Miller gets us the #1, but I still have reservations he can hold up the entire playoffs to win 16 on any team....especially if they keep using him so much.

I'm not even sure how the playoffs work anymore. Can they face LA in the 1st round or only the conference finals? I'm looking forward to that matchup. I can see LA grinding out 2-1, 3-2 wins, and the added pressure of playing Quick while starting to physically fizzle....

I hope Miller gets us the #1, but I still have reservations he can hold up the entire playoffs to win 16 on any team....especially if they keep using him so much.

I mean they only used him for a four game stretch and they were all separated by a day. They aren't forcing him to play in the back-to-back. I don't think he's being overused or anything.

I have always thought the over worked narrative was one if thise themes that this board eventually turned into an absolute truth. Maybe now we will get a test case.

I'd completely forgotten about this too actually, so here's a quick refresher for everyone.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=685005

So, as of right now, the playoffs would look like this

http://www.nhlplayof.../2014/index.php

Alright well that link is being useless right now so here's another one of the playoff bracket as of right now

http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm

Edited by WildCard

You don't become the best team in the league with the second most goals by "not scoring when you need to." They have a player who is tied for the sixth most goals in the league and multiple other players who can score. Jaden Schwartz is one of them. Berglund and Oshie can score.

The playoffs are a different animal. Everyone knows this. The Blues look great right now. But a lot of their games lack intensity. I'm worried that if a team comes at them fast and loose that the defensive smothering technique they employ will break down. I hope it doesn't, but I have reservations.

The playoffs are a different animal. Everyone knows this. The Blues look great right now. But a lot of their games lack intensity. I'm worried that if a team comes at them fast and loose that the defensive smothering technique they employ will break down. I hope it doesn't, but I have reservations.

See: what Chicago did to Boston in the Finals.

Anyway, for me it's not about team offense. If you're down a goal with two minutes left, would you be more comfortable deploying Toews, Kane, Sharp and Hossa or Backes, Oshie, Berglund and Schwartz? I know which I'd rather have.

I'm not saying the Blues can't score, obviously they can. But in the playoffs against other great defensive teams I think there's something to be said for having an elite offensive player or two, and the Blues don't have any.

Fortunately, he only needs to win 8 to get us the first rounder.

Anyway, for me it's not about team offense. If you're down a goal with two minutes left, would you be more comfortable deploying Toews, Kane, Sharp and Hossa or Backes, Oshie, Berglund and Schwartz? I know which I'd rather have.

I'm not saying the Blues can't score, obviously they can. But in the playoffs against other great defensive teams I think there's something to be said for having an elite offensive player or two, and the Blues don't have any.

Bingo.

You may be right. I'm hoping that Steen, Oshie, Berglund elevate their play and bring the Blues a long playoff run.

I mean they only used him for a four game stretch and they were all separated by a day. They aren't forcing him to play in the back-to-back. I don't think he's being overused or anything.

He's also on a team giving up the second fewest shots in the league.

One of those two goals came from Matt Moulson. He has two points in two games with the Wild (1+ 1). Oh, the other goal came from some Pominville guy.

Ott got into his first fight as a member of the Blues.

Edited by Tankalicious

Well, the Blues just got a Sabres type call. Waived off goal. Whistle blew AFTER the puck was in the net - how could that not count?

Intent to blow. Both an NHL rule and the Buffalo Sabres current strategy.

Edited by Tankalicious

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...sist-panic.html

25. Blues GM Doug Armstrong said he will leave it up to both Ryan Miller and Steve Ott to see if they want to discuss possible extensions before the summer. "Some players prefer not to talk about it during the season, some don't mind," he said. St. Louis extended Alex Steen in December, so Armstrong is comfortable either way.

@TheHockeyWriter

Behind the Numbers: Steve Ott a Premier Faceoff Man http://bit.ly/1lC5yu0

#THW

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nice solid 4-1 win by the Blues over the Predators. So Ryan is now 6-0-1 since he and Otter joined the Blues. The Blues have earned 13 of 14 points since the trade, and are now the overall points leader in the NHL. His post-Buffalo GAA is something like ~1.7

I'm guessing he's not missing life in Buffalo too much any more.

Edited by Jsixspd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.