GDT: Buffalo at Ottawa 2-6-14 at 7:30 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

More Murray: he's doing a lot of asking our guys about our acquisitions - what do you like about them and why were they picked up.

He said some guys will have to come around to his way of thinking. He talked a lot about leaning on his staff and needed guys he trusts.

My reaction: some scouts and player personnel people should be worried about their jobs.

Put this in the other thread before reading this. Agree 100%

Getzlaf and Perry: good examples. Zetterberg and Datsyuk: examples of when the game wasn't scouted as well overseas and outside of North America.

Very true on scouting overseas with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Players like that just don't slip by most good scouts. U won't see the Wings sneak players like that again.

Put this in the other thread before reading this. Agree 100%

The thing about Murray that I like is he is concentrating on scouting these junior players. I can see him moving a few of these second rounders in this years draft and possibly next years 2nd rounders to acquire a couple of first round targets in the next two drafts that he is eyeing.

I still want McDavid badly on this team. A player that is being compared to Sid stat wise and is a student of the game doesn't come along every year.

I'd like to have McDavid on the Sabres too, but tanking a whole season just in order to get a better chance at him in the lottery seems foolish to me. With the way the NHL looks at the Sabres, be it because of the market size or whatever, I think they would do everything possible to insure the next Sid (I don't believe so) doesn't end up in Buffalo. People also have to realize that not every body buys into this "tank" idea and the hope of this teenage savior coming and saving the team in 2 years, so you end up having crowds of 8,000 people attending home games because they're sick of seeing a team that sucks. I'd rather have them try and keep their top FA's, try and use the picks they have to get a good player this draft, then go after some FA's (overpay if you have to) to replace the AHL talent that is on the roster now. Then you have a respectable season next year and then build on that. The team has a good front office that could lure some top FA's into coming here if they look like they are trying to win and not playing for the bottom of the league. JMO

Edited by kishoph

That's my entire point. Those guys weren't just there, they were drafted. Getzlaf was taken 19th and Perry 28th overall. Datsyuk was 171st overall. Zetterberg went 210th overall.

Anyone can be bad and take Crosby with the first pick. A good GM can get "above market returns" consistently.

After years of watching Detroit. I'm convinced that they just kind of got lucky with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Hard to find that consistently....but you only need to find that once every 10 years.

Getzlaf and Perry: good examples. Zetterberg and Datsyuk: examples of when the game wasn't scouted as well overseas and outside of North America.

Thank you! It really annoys me when people mention Dats/Z. The Red Wings were the only team in the league who saw Datsyuk. The Blues were sending a scout to go see him but bad weather cancelled the flight so they gave up.

It is also worth noting that Getzlaf and Perry were part of the 2003 draft. They are still amazing late first round picks, but that draft was just sensational (it is one of the things that annoys me about Vanek...our highest pick [in recent years] was in a draft you literally didn't need a high pick in)

I'd like to have McDavid on the Sabres too, but tanking a whole season just in order to get a better chance at him in the lottery seems foolish to me. With the way the NHL looks at the Sabres, be it because of the market size or whatever, I think they would do everything possible to insure the next Sid (I don't believe so) doesn't end up in Buffalo. People also have to realize that not every body buys into this "tank" idea and the hope of this teenage savior coming and saving the team in 2 years, so you end up having crowds of 8,000 people attending home games because they're sick of seeing a team that sucks. I'd rather have them try and keep their top FA's, try and use the picks they have to get a good player this draft, then go after some FA's (overpay if you have to) to replace the AHL talent that is on the roster now. Then you have a respectable season next year and then build on that. The team has a good front office that could lure some top FA's into coming here if they look like they are trying to win and not playing for the bottom of the league. JMO

They have no way of doing that. The lottery is run by a separate company completely. Same as the NBA. That way the conspiracies can go away. If they finish last they're guaranteed one of McDavid/Eichel. And getting McDavid to Buffalo would benefit the NHL with all of this reaching good smaller markets.

Edited by Tankalicious

Weber, McBain and Leino on the ice for the final minute. I think Teddy might just be the real tank commander.

That was ridiculous - imagine if Girgensons had been standing where Leino was, in front of the crease when Ott made that pass? I just don't understand why Ted is playing him so much, and in such crucial moments like this one, and the PPs in general.

And I think I'm joining the tank brigade - the season is essentially over.

Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_-_Tarkus_(1971)_front_cover.jpg

Give Leino every opportunity to show what he can bring before buying him out.

After years of watching Detroit. I'm convinced that they just kind of got lucky with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Hard to find that consistently....but you only need to find that once every 10 years.

Their next version of that were Hudler and Filppula. They looked like the next big thing a few years ago, but then never got to that next level (maybe because Datsyuk and Zetter had too much of a lock on the prime minutes). And they both moved on to other teams.

They have no way of doing that. The lottery is run by a separate company completely. Same as the NBA. That way the conspiracies can go away. If they finish last they're guaranteed one of McDavid/Eichel. And getting McDavid to Buffalo would benefit the NHL with all of this reaching good smaller markets.

Just slightly off gdt topic here but I listened to an interesting interview on NHL Radio the other day. I don't even know who they interviewed as I got in half way through it but it was obviously a scout (just not sure who his employer is) and he said although Eichel is going to be great, there is an American defenseman that is suppose to be projected to be better than Seth Jones in the next draft. He thinks he's the better prospect than Eichel. Now with our need for forwards I'm taking a forward next draft regardless. I just think that if we can get even a top 5 pick next year we're going to get a stud. If we end up with McDavid then look out.

Although I agree with what Potato is saying next year looks like a draft you may not see for the next decade plus. By maybe giving some top prospects more time in junior or not signing a quick fix veteran does not mean he's not doing his job and should not be paid. This team has been mediocre for far too long. Finish the tank this year and tank hard next. After those drafts (coupled with some good prospects already in our system) and we are set up for the next 10 years.

On that play where the Ottawa player shot it straight at Enroth's pad he called it a "world class save." I don't think he has any sort of ###### for Miller like you thought a while back, he just really likes saves I guess.

Poor Ethron. On the other hand. Tank!

I'm more worried about the phantom goal calls where he has the Sabres scoring when they don't (once last night for sure, and I'm pretty sure he did it again in the waning moments — something like, "It looked like it was in!") and either team scoring but he doesn't say who scored, or even the score.

The plan was to bottom out. He enacted that plan with his boss's blessing. Then they canned him anyway.

Plus, if the Sabres become contenders again even somewhat on the strength of our last two drafts, it'll be hard not to give Regier some credit (not to mention the extra picks we have locked and loaded for the next couple drafts too).

I'm glad Darcy's gone and I don't want him back but it's tough to criticize him for having a bad team in a year where they were trying to have a bad team. Criticize him for having bad teams in years where they were trying to have a good team.

I just realized who Darcy is. The two-faced girlfriend from Seinfeld.

The plan was to bottom out. He enacted that plan with his boss's blessing. Then they canned him anyway.

Plus, if the Sabres become contenders again even somewhat on the strength of our last two drafts, it'll be hard not to give Regier some credit (not to mention the extra picks we have locked and loaded for the next couple drafts too).

I'm glad Darcy's gone and I don't want him back but it's tough to criticize him for having a bad team in a year where they were trying to have a bad team. Criticize him for having bad teams in years where they were trying to have a good team.

This is a reasonable point in the abstract, but I don't think it's really supported by the facts. What steps did DR really take toward trying to have a bad team this year? All I can think of is trading Pommer at the deadline last year. He didn't trade Vanek and Miller over the summer (and while Vanek did get traded early this season, we got Moulson back in the deal, who isn't as good as Vanek but is a pretty productive player).

Trading Pommer shouldn't have resulted in a roster this bad. And while DR may have looked at the roster over the summer and realized that it stunk, I think this was more the result of a series of poor decisions over the last 3-4 years than of any intentional plan to construct a roster that would stink this year.

Well, they also got Lidstrom late in the 2nd round in 1989.

Their next version of that were Hudler and Filppula. They looked like the next big thing a few years ago, but then never got to that next level (maybe because Datsyuk and Zetter had too much of a lock on the prime minutes). And they both moved on to other teams.

Hudler and Filppula are both very good players -- Detroit's error wasn't in drafting them, it was in letting them go.

This is a reasonable point in the abstract, but I don't think it's really supported by the facts. What steps did DR really take toward trying to have a bad team this year? All I can think of is trading Pommer at the deadline last year. He didn't trade Vanek and Miller over the summer (and while Vanek did get traded early this season, we got Moulson back in the deal, who isn't as good as Vanek but is a pretty productive player).

Trading Pommer shouldn't have resulted in a roster this bad. And while DR may have looked at the roster over the summer and realized that it stunk, I think this was more the result of a series of poor decisions over the last 3-4 years than of any intentional plan to construct a roster that would stink this year.

We also traded Regehr, Leopold, and Sekera (half our defense...all for draft picks) and did nothing to replace them. Then we started this season with four teenagers on the roster. When is the last time the Sabres made a move to get better immediately?

When literally every move is designed to pay off in the future, I take that to mean we're sacrificing the present. Being bad this year was part of that.

And, FWIW, I would have moved Vanek and Miller in the summer too.

We also traded Regehr, Leopold, and Sekera (half our defense...all for draft picks) and did nothing to replace them. Then we started this season with four teenagers on the roster. When is the last time the Sabres made a move to get better immediately?

When literally every move is designed to pay off in the future, I take that to mean we're sacrificing the present. Being bad this year was part of that.

And, FWIW, I would have moved Vanek and Miller in the summer too.

Well, Regehr and Leopold were the classic unloading of upcoming UFAs, and they did get McBain (hah!) for Reggie, and I suspect he knew that Pysyk would be ready this year, but you are right that DR knowingly downgraded the D for this year.

On that play where the Ottawa player shot it straight at Enroth's pad he called it a "world class save." I don't think he has any sort of ###### for Miller like you thought a while back, he just really likes saves I guess.

Poor Ethron. On the other hand. Tank!

I thought I was the only one who is not a fan of DD.

HE is not the future

HE is another Harry Neale

;)

....Maybe not.

Prove me wrong DD

Edited by BuffaloBorn

That was ridiculous - imagine if Girgensons had been standing where Leino was, in front of the crease when Ott made that pass? I just don't understand why Ted is playing him so much, and in such crucial moments like this one, and the PPs in general.

And I think I'm joining the tank brigade - the season is essentially over.

Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_-_Tarkus_(1971)_front_cover.jpg

that thing is a crazy......an armadillo, inside and Epcot center, inside a tank.

Players that need to be traded to keep the tank going:

Tyler Ennis, 14 points in the last 16 games.

Drew Stafford, 9 points in the last 7 games. HOWEVER, of those last seven games, we've lost each one where he records a point. If intentional, that's some high-level ninja tanking.

Christian Ehrhoff, 20 points in last 30 games. He had only scored 5 points before Thanksgiving. He was also -9 before Thanksgiving. He's been -1 since.

Cody Hodgson, on the other hand, doesn't want to be traded. After going 12 points in 13 games, he's only recorded 1 point in his last 5.

that thing is a crazy......an armadillo, inside and Epcot center, inside a tank.

TANKADILLO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.