Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Don't think he'll dump devine so soon, hasn't even gotten to know him well enough, if he makes such a dick move then i don't want him as GM for this team.

That's part of the business. He has already seen Devine's resume. The assistant GM works directly with him, it'd be in his best interest to get somebody he knows in there.

I get the impression that Tim Murray's strength is in player evaluation. Oster looks like a contract/CBA-oriented guy. Could be a good fit, and one that doesn't necessarily replace the functionality of Kevin Devine. There's no convenient list I was able to find, but I think a few teams have two AGM's, notably Boston (Jim Benning [player eval, trades, FAs] and Don Sweeney [player development]).

I think in keeping with the model of dumping money into the front office, there's no reason to drop Devine, unless it's a bad fit or an insurmountable personality or philosophy conflict.

Sounds about right

Interesting interview with Murray by Pierre Lebrun.

Talks about potential trades.

Murray has also brought in his own scouting system, which was introduced to the scouting staff last week.

The day after I got hired, I wanted to bring in my own scouting system as far as Rinknet and rating system," Murray said. "We got that done about a week ago. Now our guys have to learn that and I know the numbers aren’t going to jive with my numbers right off the bat but I told them that we’re going to be talking numbers, 'If you told me you went to watch Pierre play last night, is he a five or a four-plus?' That’s going to be the lingo and the culture here. So it’s going to take them time to get on to the system, but I think that was important to get everyone on the same page right off the bat and let them run with it. Scouting is everything. Scouting is where it’s at. You can’t improve unless you evaluate well, whether it’s pro, whether it’s amateur, whether it’s staff, they say you’re not supposed to judge but that’s all we do."

You just get that feeling that the Sabres have hired well here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28873/will-sabres-rebuild-include-ryan-miller

I was just about to post that. Nice to see where our GM's head is at.

I expect we will see some trades in the not-to-distant future, and I think he will be shooting for players, not picks.

Sounding like Miller is a goner for sure.

And I really love the emphasis on evaluation.

Best Murray quote in the article:

"My mandate here is to get better. I don’t want a five-year rebuild, that’s not what I’m about. It’s about getting better, and if that means trading guys and getting assets for them, then that’s the way it will be."

The one thing I don't like, although I understand the position he's in, is that it sounds to me like he doesn't have any of the guys on the roster, or even in the system, pegged as a new core. We've all thrown around names by now, but I have my idea of who should be essentially un-movable.

As a fan, there are players I've grown to like. Although I want to win a Cup, I would like to "know" the roster that wins it for us. There's nothing saying that won't be the case at the time, but right now I get the impression that Murray would like to completely strip down the team and rebuild from scratch.

The one thing I don't like, although I understand the position he's in, is that it sounds to me like he doesn't have any of the guys on the roster, or even in the system, pegged as a new core. We've all thrown around names by now, but I have my idea of who should be essentially un-movable.

As a fan, there are players I've grown to like. Although I want to win a Cup, I would like to "know" the roster that wins it for us. There's nothing saying that won't be the case at the time, but right now I get the impression that Murray would like to completely strip down the team and rebuild from scratch.

I have my idea of un movable and it numbers two. Gergs and Zadorov.

I have my idea of un movable and it numbers two. Gergs and Zadorov.

That's pretty much it for me. Sure I'd move them, but those are the only 2 guys I know who have the talent and battle to lead to an eventual Cup.

All this Ottawa talk...I would think if I were Murray, the last team I would make my first trade with is Ottawa. You want to show you wear big boy pants now, so running back home first thing doesn't really show that. If they could get Lazar somehow, I'd go giddy.

I take away 2 points from the trade perspective of that article.

1. TM implies Miller's destiny is in his own hands on whether or not he'd like to stay, but in the same paragraph he states that being fair to Miller and getting him into position for a Cup run he understands. TM spoke on trading for players not just picks.

2. The other UFA's in Buffalo don't expect to be here next season, but surely some will.

We can speculate on where players will go and what we'd get in return, that's all good and fun. But after reading those comments, I expect the Sabres to be major players in the trade market up to and including deadline day. Did anyone else get this take on that article, or is it just me?

I take away 2 points from the trade perspective of that article.

1. TM implies Miller's destiny is in his own hands on whether or not he'd like to stay, but in the same paragraph he states that being fair to Miller and getting him into position for a Cup run he understands. TM spoke on trading for players not just picks.

2. The other UFA's in Buffalo don't expect to be here next season, but surely some will.

We can speculate on where players will go and what we'd get in return, that's all good and fun. But after reading those comments, I expect the Sabres to be major players in the trade market up to and including deadline day. Did anyone else get this take on that article, or is it just me?

No its not just you. I take away the same feeling and its exciting. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Interesting interview with Murray by Pierre Lebrun.

Talks about potential trades.

Murray has also brought in his own scouting system, which was introduced to the scouting staff last week.

http://espn.go.com/b...ude-ryan-miller

Just side note for everyone. Murray talks about using Rinknet to grade draft prospects and such. ISS rankings use Rinknet to compile their rankings. Obviously that wouldn't be the same as the Sabres but it would probably similar.

Outside of that, it sounds like Murray is lining things up for a big deadline day.

Just side note for everyone. Murray talks about using Rinknet to grade draft prospects and such. ISS rankings use Rinknet to compile their rankings. Obviously that wouldn't be the same as the Sabres but it would probably similar.

Outside of that, it sounds like Murray is lining things up for a big deadline day.

I hope so!!

Totally my spin:

Miller has not given them a definitive answer, which they are interpreting as he's unlikely to re-sign before the deadline.

They are going to find a trade they are comfortable with, with a team that is a contender (do right by Ryan).

They will offer him a good deal to sign. If he doesn't accept, they will make the trade.

They will also look hard at re-signing him in July.

Pat wants Tim to remove the interim tag. Tim likes Ted, but not ready to remove the tag — he's letting that play out while he works on other priorities.

Edited by dudacek

Totally my spin:

Miller has not given them a definitive answer, which they are interpreting as he's unlikely to re-sign before the deadline.

They are going to find a trade they are comfortable with, with a team that is a contender (do right by Ryan).

They will offer him a good deal to sign. If he doesn't accept, they will make the trade.

Pat wants Tim to remove the interim tag. Tim likes Ted, but not ready to remove the tag — he's letting that play out while he works on other priorities.

thanks! any very interesting that they vocalized a trade and resign option. i really feel like moulson and ott could possibly go the exact same route. it would be cool to sign them all to one year deals for the next three years and constantly ship them out at the deadline for goodies, then resign the next summer! hahahah. of course it will never happen but it would be cool if it did.

Totally my spin:

Thanks man!

Totally my spin:

if I was Miller, I wouldn't give them a definitive answer yet either.

Show me that your trying to improve the team now, and not hoping for the future and I would consider re-signing. Take the slow 3-5 year rebuild approach and I would be gone. Use some of these accumulated assets (picks and prospects) to turn them into guys that can help speed things up now and I would consider re-signing.

Taking the 'Tank' approach to rebuilding is like trying to rebuild your finances with lottery tickets. You might hit it big and win a jackpot (Pittsburgh) or more then likely your gonna continue chasing the next jackpot with more tickets (Oilers, Islanders)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.