Power Play

First Unit

Moulson – Hodgson – Ennis

Stafford – Ehrhoff

Second Unit

Foligno – Ott – Leino

McBain – Myers

Lineup News & Notes

D Mark Pysyk (healthy), F Luke Adam (healthy), and C Cody Hodgson (LBI) were scratches in Saturday's 2-1 OT loss to Calgary.

D Alexander Sulzer (UBI) has been practicing and was activated today.

F Cody McCormick is expected to miss 4-6 weeks (UBI).

Weekly Transactions

12/14: F Matt Ellis recalled from Rochester (AHL).

12/17: F Kevin Porter and D Chad Ruhwedel recalled from Rochester (AHL).

12/17: F Luke Adam, D Mark Pysyk, and D Brayden McNabb assigned to Rochester (AHL).

12/17: Activated D Alexander Sulzer from IR

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo is 2-6-2. Zemgus Girgensons has two goals and three assists in his past seven games.

Winnipeg Jets

Projected Lineup

16 Andrew Ladd ("C") – 18 Bryan Little – 26 Blake Wheeler

9 Evander Kane – 55 Mark Scheifele – 67 Michael Frolik

22 Chris Thorburn – 12 Olli Jokinen ("A") – 40 Devin Setoguchi

27 Eric Tangradi – 58 Eric O'Dell - 70 John Albert

X: 14 Anthony Peluso (suspended), 17 James Wright

33 Dustin Byfuglien – 39 Tobias Enstrom

5 Mark Stuart ("A") – 8 Jacob Trouba

2 Adam Pardy – 24 Grant Clitsome

X: 7 Keaton Ellerby (healthy)

31 Ondrej Pavelec

35 Al Montoya

Lineup News & Notes

Winnipeg scratched D Keaton Ellerby and F Anthony Peluso in Monday's 3-2 win vs the Blue Jackets.

F Anthony Peluso has been suspended 3 games for his hit on Alex Goligoski on Saturday.

F Evander Kane returned to the lineup on Monday after missing six games (LBI).

D Paul Postma (blood clot), D Zach Bogosian (groin), and F Jim Slater (sports hernia) are on injured reserve.

Weekly Transactions

12/12: Recalled F John Albert from the St. John’s IceCaps (AHL).

12/16: Placed F Matt Halischuk on the injured reserve list retroactive to 12/14.

12/17: Recalled F Eric O'Dell from the St. John’s IceCaps (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 Games, Winnipeg is 5-4-1. Bryan Little has two goals and two assists during a four-game point streak.

PREGAME LINKS

Jets' Peluso suspended three games for boarding

BEYOND THE BOARDS: McCORMICK OUT 4-6 WEEKS; SULZER, HODGSON ALMOST READY

Game Preview: 12/17/13 vs. Winnipeg Jets

Nolan still evaluating Sabres’ D corps, wants group to keep battling for playing time

Jets seek another road win against Sabres

Dan Dunleavy recaps Monday's practice at First Niagara Center

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center

12/17 Ted Nolan on WGR

Jets vs Sabres Game Notes PDF

Press Clips: 12/17/13 vs Winnipeg Jets

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Tuesday's morning skate at First Niagara Center

Claude Noel touches on calling up Eric O'Dell, and the team's focus for tonight's game

Dan Dunleavy previews Tuesday night's game against the Jets at First Niagara Center

THE MORNING SKATE: PORTER, RUHWEDEL READY TO CONTRIBUTE

Brian Flynn speaks with the media following Tuesday's morning skate at First Niagara Center

Kevin Porter speaks with the media following Tuesday's morning skate at First Niagara Center

Matt Ellis speaks with the media following Tuesday's morning skate at First Niagara Center

JetsTV Game Preview: Jets vs Sabres

Teppo Numminen discusses Tuesday night's matchup against the Winnipeg Jets

POSTGAME LINKS

SABRES RALLY TO DEFEAT JETS

Dan Dunleavy recaps the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets.

Steve Ott speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets

Mike Weber speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets

Ryan Miller speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets

Matt Ellis speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 win against the Jets

167224932_slide.jpg

"I love you man!"

Nolan is on WGR for his weekly segment and it sounds as if Pysyk, McNabb, and Adam are likely candidates to go to the Amerks.

I understand doing this but it kinda makes me sad. It was nice watching the young guys try and prove themselves. Oh well, guess next year will be better or something... :unsure:

In Nolan's world, it seems a kid has to be clearly better than a veteran to start ahead of him.

That Girgensons is the only one of our kids better than Stafford, Leino, D'Agostini, Ellis, Scott, Sulzer, Weber, McBain and Tallinder is truly frightening.

In Nolan's world, it seems a kid has to be clearly better than a veteran to start ahead of him.

That Girgensons is the only one of our kids better than Stafford, Leino, D'Agostini, Ellis, Scott, Sulzer, Weber, McBain and Tallinder is truly frightening.

That's the thing, Pysyk and to a lesser degree Adam, have been better than the aforementioned. At this point, it looks like Ted is just going to lean on the vets, be damned the justification.

Pysyk certainly, and I've been OK with Adam and McNabb as well.

The number of kids we had to start the year was a mistake, especially since many of them were teenagers.

But there does need to be a few kids in the lineup learning the ropes.

This season is when you give 23-year-olds like Adam and McNabb a legitimate shot to see if they belong.

I hope this is part of a larger evaluation plan, because I can't see how playing someone like Sulzer over someone like Pysyk benefits the team long term.

I think Nolan's trying to not drag the young talent in Buffalo down with the ship. Let them win in Rochester then return next year with a new Sabres team. Girgs he trusts won't become complacent or depressed thus keeping him here until maybe the last 20 games where he'd send Girgs to the Amerks to help lead them.

I hope this is part of a larger evaluation plan, because I can't see how playing someone like Sulzer over someone like Pysyk benefits the team long term.

Maybe he's looking to get a non-biased/softened look at our other D-men. How the D-corp plays without any rookie talent. Poor Myers is going to feel mighty lonely however.

Well with Hodgson and Sulzer coming back they have the vets to send down Pysyk/McNabb/Adam... means they wont have a healthy scratch defender every night. I think that is the reasoning. They understand this year is lost and they want the kids to get as much experience and ice time as possible.

Well with Hodgson and Sulzer coming back they have the vets to send down Pysyk/McNabb/Adam... means they wont have a healthy scratch defender every night. I think that is the reasoning. They understand this year is lost and they want the kids to get as much experience and ice time as possible.

Sulzer is currently the only player on IR. I suspect that McCormick will be added to IR with Sulzer being activated. Sending down the young guys is merely a continuation of Nolan's/PLF's philosophy of developing young players in Junior and/or the Minors.

The young guys going down to Roch could also be Spengler Cup related.

This is embarrassing. New management or no new management. Hire a F'ing GM and start running this thing like a professional sports organization. This lineup they are putting on the ice warrants 3000 people in the stands. TOPS!!

Let Miller play for the Amerks and our AHL team kicks our NHL teams ass.

That's the thing, Pysyk and to a lesser degree Adam, have been better than the aforementioned. At this point, it looks like Ted is just going to lean on the vets, be damned the justification.

My guess is Nolan and Patty have taken notice of how Regier managed to mess up our young talent for years by either not playing them at all, or overplaying them.

They both know the season is a wash, they'll probably play the kids as long as they feel they'll benefit from playing, whether the team is worse without them or not.

I'm all for putting together a powerhouse Amerks team that can roll to a championship.

Risto, Pysyk, McNabb, Adam, Larsson, Armia, Hackett etc. may be able to carry success there on to the NHL.

But from what I read from Amerk watchers, that is not going to happen until Cassidy is canned and Cunneyworth erases the stamp of Rolston-style hockey.

Pysyk certainly, and I've been OK with Adam and McNabb as well.

The number of kids we had to start the year was a mistake, especially since many of them were teenagers.

But there does need to be a few kids in the lineup learning the ropes.

This season is when you give 23-year-olds like Adam and McNabb a legitimate shot to see if they belong.

I think Nolan's trying to not drag the young talent in Buffalo down with the ship. Let them win in Rochester then return next year with a new Sabres team. Girgs he trusts won't become complacent or depressed thus keeping him here until maybe the last 20 games where he'd send Girgs to the Amerks to help lead them.

Maybe he's looking to get a non-biased/softened look at our other D-men. How the D-corp plays without any rookie talent. Poor Myers is going to feel mighty lonely however.

I think this is all about the development of the young players -- in particular making them appreciate how playing in the NHL is a privilege and not a birthright. Luker and McNabb earned their shots at the show by playing well in Rochester, but they didn't earn a free pass to stay here. I would guess each of them made enough mistakes such that Nolan felt there had to be consequences, or else they wouldn't learn not to make those mistakes.

Being sent down now will make them appreciate their next callup and make them work harder to stay here when it happens.

It's old school, and it's fine with me.

Archived