Centers

3putt

In 2012 we addressed a dearth of center prospects. Now we are making them wingers. These kids have played that position since they learned to skate. Now we make them switch, and still have no NHL center prospects. Center is a unique position and requires a unique mindset. Much more so than wing. I played d all my life and felt like a fish out of water when put at center on the pp in college. I justdont get it.

I know they've talked about it being relatively easily to draft centres and turn them into wingers, as opposed to turning wingers into centres.

I think the issue with Girgensons might be that they expect him to be top six player.

And they expect to find their top two centres from a pending high first-rounder, Hodgson and Grigorenko.

And they have Larsson and Compher coming to maybe fill the number three hole.

Personally, I like Girgs as a centre.

I don't disagree about girgs as a top 6, but i can see him as a Getslaf type center. But he needs reps at that position. I have seen Compher 3 xs this year, and i think he is a natural winger and played wing until joining the usdp. Btw awesome avatar.

I don't disagree about girgs as a top 6, but i can see him as a Getslaf type center. But he needs reps at that position. I have seen Compher 3 xs this year, and i think he is a natural winger and played wing until joining the usdp. Btw awesome avatar.

That's getting way ahead of things. He hasn't shown anything that makes him a Getzlaf type. Hodgson in a top six center, and then we will likely be able to land another one in the next two years.

In 2012 we addressed a dearth of center prospects. Now we are making them wingers. These kids have played that position since they learned to skate. Now we make them switch, and still have no NHL center prospects. Center is a unique position and requires a unique mindset. Much more so than wing. I played d all my life and felt like a fish out of water when put at center on the pp in college. I justdont get it.

Cody? Is that you?

That's getting way ahead of things. He hasn't shown anything that makes him a Getzlaf type. Hodgson in a top six center, and then we will likely be able to land another one in the next two years.

No argument. The key word is type. Early in his career Getzlaf was a banger, he needed to improve his skating and his shot. Girgs needs similar work.

Cody? Is that you?

Damn, busted.

Starting rookie centers on the wing in their first season is not an uncommon practice. Doesn't mean they're staying there forever.

No doubt. But if we are in a tank, let him and Grigs learn at the position we drafted them for. Its not like its going to cost us a playoff spot.

No doubt. But if we are in a tank, let him and Grigs learn at the position we drafted them for. Its not like its going to cost us a playoff spot.

Centers need to be able to carry the puck and make plays. Zemgus looks to be more suited as a banger and finisher.

I am not sure he can't be that kind of player. Not enough of a sample size.

The canvas is pretty empty right now, we probably won't see the finished product for 2-3 seasons. He'll have a place on this team. Most likely as a 3rd line energy guy with the possibility of moving onto a second scoring line.

Do teams carry "center" coaches like they do goaltender coaches? Center is arguably the 2nd most valuable position in hockey you would think teams would. This leads me to Ted Nolan and the group of young centers. Is Ted Nolan the coach to develop all the raw talent the Sabres have at the center position? Do the Sabres have what is needed at the assistant coach position or in Rochester to develop players into quality NHL centers? Grigorenko. Girgensons, Hodgson and Ennis, the Sabres have invested in the raw talent, they now need to invest in coaches to develop this talent. Rolston wasn't the guy, Nolan isn't the X's & O's type coach these players need. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Center is a more d- oriented position just stating the obvious for n00bs. I think Girgs could play either position but it's easier for him to play wing for now. Remmber Jochen Hecht ? He was a LW who could play center. Sometimes they're interchangeable. but like I said for all n00bs, center is definitely more d-oriented, more back-checking .

Remember Jochen Hecht ? He was a LW who could play center.

Well, Lindy seemed to think so, anyway. I certainly don't think he was a capable scoring line center. Checking line, yes, but not scoring line. That was one of my biggest complaints about Darcy over the four years after 7/1/07; he never had a real third option for scoring line center. It was great to look for that true #1, but they needed at least a third #2.

Do teams carry "center" coaches like they do goaltender coaches? Center is arguably the 2nd most valuable position in hockey you would think teams would. This leads me to Ted Nolan and the group of young centers. Is Ted Nolan the coach to develop all the raw talent the Sabres have at the center position? Do the Sabres have what is needed at the assistant coach position or in Rochester to develop players into quality NHL centers? Grigorenko. Girgensons, Hodgson and Ennis, the Sabres have invested in the raw talent, they now need to invest in coaches to develop this talent. Rolston wasn't the guy, Nolan isn't the X's & O's type coach these players need. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Nolan is a lot better x's and O's guy than he is credited with. Don't keep repeating the same old Milbury lie like it is true. Consider the source. P.S. Milbury hasn't been on MSNBC lately since his last trashing of Sabres moves. Hope it continues but Glenn Healy seems to have a similar issue on NHL network.

Nolan is a lot better x's and O's guy than he is credited with. Don't keep repeating the same old Milbury lie like it is true. Consider the source. P.S. Milbury hasn't been on MSNBC lately since his last trashing of Sabres moves. Hope it continues but Glenn Healy seems to have a similar issue on NHL network.

I couldn't care less what Milbury or Healy say. Are you saying that Nolan is the coach that can give Girgensons, Grigorenko, Hodgson and Ennis their best chances of success?

Even Ted Nolan's biggest supporters acknowledged he is not exactly cutting edge when it comes to X's and O's. He might be better then in his first stint but he still needs a strong assistant as part of his support staff.

Cutting edge no but watched him on the bench the other day give Myers directions and he seemed to get it. If you are asking abt set creative plays maybe not but Sabres dont have horses to pull that stuff off anyway and i still dont think you should pan his ability, he has grown a lot from his early years.

And yes he has the ability to develop that talent, he knows how to let the reins go when he sees it and let players be creative.

I couldn't care less what Milbury or Healy say. Are you saying that Nolan is the coach that can give Girgensons, Grigorenko, Hodgson and Ennis their best chances of success?

Well, he did produce good results in both of his NHL coaching stints, and the team is playing with much more life than it did last season or this season.

Is there a reason to think he wouldn't do a good job?

Picking nits here, but IMHO, Ennis is not a center, and never will be an effective one.

A "centers coach" is an interesting idea.

Well, he did produce good results in both of his NHL coaching stints, and the team is playing with much more life than it did last season or this season.

Is there a reason to think he wouldn't do a good job?

I don't know. It's a question the Sabres have to answer and have to get right.

Archived