Mark Pysyk

Doohickie

Whoa.

Patrick had 36 pts in his first full NHL season, then 43 pts, then 55+ pts in 5 of his next 6 seasons, including 1 season with 71 pts and 1 with 62.

Pysyk will probably have zero or 1 NHL season with 40+ pts.

od skater. Patrick was an F-

Pysyk is a very go15.

I think we're talking apples and oranges.

I think you are under estimating Pysyk. Like Shrader said, the league is different now but he will be a solid 3/4 and once there is some offensive talent upfront, his assist numbers will sky rocket. He has the ability to be one of the finest passing defenseman in the league.

I love anyone on this squad who can consistently make a tape-to-tape pass and boy do I hate the ones who can't. Forced or unforced.

Such an essential part of the game. When a team is good at it it looks easy and beautiful, but holy ###### is it hard when you try it yourself. And that's without guys like Lucic flying at you.

Speaking of apples and oranges, that rookie season for Patrick came in the same year where Gretzky lead the league with 208 points. Comparing to the scoring of that era is never going to fly. Just look at some of the numbers here. And speaking of that, what sticks out to me the most... only one goalie had a save percentage over 0.9. It's crazy how much things have changed.

Edit: I think the Patrick most people think of now is the one who played for the latter 40 years of his 80 year career, just a solid middle of the pack defenseman who played smart and was never a liability out there.

No question -- scoring was much higher back then. (And looking at that list makes me amazed all over again that the NHL hasn't figured out a way to get scoring back into that ballpark -- especially even-strength scoring.) And I also agree that most people tend to remember the post-prime Patrick. But comparing Pysyk to Patrick is like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW 550.

I think you are under estimating Pysyk. Like Shrader said, the league is different now but he will be a solid 3/4 and once there is some offensive talent upfront, his assist numbers will sky rocket. He has the ability to be one of the finest passing defenseman in the league.

I agree that Pysyk could develop into a solid 3/4. Again, though, comparing him to a guy like Patrick is unfair to both of them.

As for the bolded, I haven't seen anything that would support this -- although being on an historically low-scoring team certainly hasn't helped him.

I must point out that IIRC you were a a big supporter of Chris Butler's.

We'll see.

No question -- scoring was much higher back then. (And looking at that list makes me amazed all over again that the NHL hasn't figured out a way to get scoring back into that ballpark -- especially even-strength scoring.) And I also agree that most people tend to remember the post-prime Patrick. But comparing Pysyk to Patrick is like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW 550.

I agree that Pysyk could develop into a solid 3/4. Again, though, comparing him to a guy like Patrick is unfair to both of them.

As for the bolded, I haven't seen anything that would support this -- although being on an historically low-scoring team certainly hasn't helped him.

I must point out that IIRC you were a a big supporter of Chris Butler's.

We'll see.

Signed in St. Louis. Didn't he?

When he was up last year, he was the most reliable Dman the Sabres had.

I tend to agree with this. He was rarely out of position and seemed to be one of two guys on the team who consistently could get the puck out of the zone.

Pysyk's strength's are still being developed. He is only 22 and has only played 63 games scoring 2g, and adding 10assists. I think he has more to give but needs a full season and a decent linemate to show a little more. Realistically speaking it would take another 2-3 full seasons for Pysyk to reach his full potential. For right now I remain hopefully optimistic but I remember the playoffs of MAG and how much he sucked thereafter. Pysyk has much to prove but I think he could definitely do it this season. According to the official training camp roster Pysyk will be entering camp at 6'2" 200lbs. Roughly adding 7-8lbs since last year.

That's how I see it too. Love his breakout passes. Maybe since goals are so often grind-it-out vs run-n-gun his assist #s won't be that good, but here's hoping.

Good call on speed disparity Freeman. I was thinking more passing, not physical, solid all-around, smart.

Pysyk does a play similar game to Butler, but Pysyk is better at, well, pretty much everything.

MAG is a horrible comparison. He could play the PP in the NHL, but he was the softest player and the worst defending defence man to wear the blue and gold in recent memory.

Edited by dudacek

• 5 months later...

Not Pysyk-related, but I think the NHL has figured out how to increase scoring, they just don't have the stomach to actually try it: illegal defense, especially in the neutral zone, but also some changes with respect to d-zone play.

Not Pysyk-related, but I think the NHL has figured out how to increase scoring, they just don't have the stomach to actually try it: illegal defense, especially in the neutral zone, but also some changes with respect to d-zone play.

It's probably a discussion for another thread, but bigger nets.  That will wind up being the key point to any future changes meant to increase scoring.

That he's a good Dman, one of the Sabres best.... at the beginning of last season.

Anyone know how his contract works?  

By keeping him down did he get ganked on NHL cash?  

Clearly he belongs, and if I'm him and I did get held back for the tank, I'm looking at GMTM for a $500k bonus or something.

Clearly he belongs, and if I'm him and I did get held back for the tank, I'm looking at GMTM for a $500k bonus or something.

As fond as I am of the term ganked, the Sabres didn't overtly do anything wrong. He wasn't even the Amerks highest scoring defenseman.

That being said, he should be super pissed and motivated to prove himself. I just hope it doesn't screw up the draft position.

He was held back to mature.  Look at the Red Wings organization; that do that all the time.  Their "young" talent is typically mid-20s.  Teemu Pulkkinen is just getting his first look at the bigs and he's 23. If Pysyk had been with their system, he'd just be getting his first look.

We as a fan base want every good prospect rushed to the big club but holding all but the best back until they are (more than) ready for the NHL level is pretty standard practice. Just because an AHL player is better than an NHL player does not mean we should insert him on the big team.

Bah I say, bah! Give me more flow to the game and ice-long rushes, not a greater probability for a butt goal.

You can only let players and equipment grow for so long, allowing them to fill up more net, until you try to balance that out with bigger nets.  Shooters are so incredibly accurate today, but it doesn't matter when they have next to nothing to shoot at.  Give them a bigger target and scoring will increase... and not just fluke goals either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.