Pat LaFontaine : The Future Begins

LGR4GM

Ass backwards Sabres should've hired a GM first who would hire his own coach. We have a lousy organization and if it works out it'll be despite itself.

I can't tell if this is serious or not?

This is exactly what real teams would do. In your genius plan, who goes out and searches for the GM? Ted Black? Cliff Benson?

We hired a smart hockey mind to go out and find us the right General manager. This is perfect.

Pittsburgh Tribune reporting Botterill being allowed to interview.

Yes please. I wouldn't hate Dudley, but I want a younger guy with a fair amount of experience, coming from a winning organization.

Part of me says no to him in my head mainly just because I want to know 100% that it's LaFontaine and not Pegula making the decision.

He has a fantastic resume, but his biggest chip is his financial work. We don't have to worry about that stuff yet. More roster development and player evaluation.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 7m

The Montreal Canadiens decline comment on whether Sabres need or have asked for permission to speak with Rick Dudley about GM job.

That would be just too.... complete.

How much experience did Sakic or Yzerman have? John Elway? The if course there's Nieuwendyk of the unsuccessful variety. Scott Bowman had plenty of experience, and we know how that worked out. Sometimes a guy is just right for the job.

Yzerman was in the Wings front office (starting as a team VP) for four years before Tampa Bay made him GM.

And the juries still out on whether or not he's been successful in the bay.

Yzerman was in the Wings front office (starting as a team VP) for four years before Tampa Bay made him GM.

1) I didn't know he was in the organization as an executive. Thanks.

2) The jury is definitely still out...so how much did that executive experience really mean?

Some of you are making this way too difficult to understand when it's an obviously simple move. Pegula has admitted he has no clue how to "make this hockey thing work" and handed over the team to Patty saying "make it work for me; I want a Stanley Cup."

That's it. There is no more analysis of the move necessary.

As for Patty's qualifications? He's smart, connected, cares deeply about the Sabres, and he makes Pegula's heart all a flutter. That's it.

Will it work? There are people whom, no matter what, find a way to achieve their goals. Who here will deny that Pat LaFontaine is one of those people?

Risto and Zadorov don't need to go back down. They need to log a ton of ice time up here in the NHL.

Miller isn't staying, he's already sold his Buffalo home, he's outta here, wishful thinking that he'll stay. Trade him and get something for the future.

As for La La's first action, to give Ted anything he needs to foster that culture change of the players Ted spoke of.

I don't believe we'll see a new GM hired until after xmas at the earliest. Ted was brought in as interim for a reason and some of the candidates for GM may not be available for interview until post season.

We got CoHo (1st), Myers (1st) and Ennis (1st) from the 2008 draft; McNabb (3) and Foligno (4) from 2009; Pysyk in 2010 (1); Armia (1) and Catenacci (3) in 2011; Grigo (1), Girgs (1), and McCabe (2) in 2012; Risto (1) and Zadorov (1) plus 3 second rounders in 2013; have 2 more firsts and 3 more seconds coming up in the next draft (pending whether the Isles defer their pick to 2015), plus a first and 3 seconds coming up in 2015...

We have quite a few young prospects and picks. I'd personally like to see some veterans mixed in with them to help all these prospects learn and develop. Trading every single NHL-quality veteran for more picks at some point makes less-and-less sense to me.

I guess we will soon see if Pat's philosophy on the matter differs from that of Darcy...

I've been wondering, like many on this board probably have, if this changing of the guard signifies that the tear down stage is complete. Some here expressed the opinion that DR was kept around for the dismantling and then a new GM would be brought in to complete the reconstruction. Time will tell, but I think a new GM will be in place sooner rather then later.

On Prime Time Sports (Bob McCowan's show) Glen Healy believes that Miller will be traded. I think Healy is a bit of a windbag, but he is on Bob's show regularly, so he must know something about hockey.

A link to the show yesterday is below. Patty was on too.

http://www.sportsnet...me-time-sports/

You need to scroll down a bit to see the recent podcasts. It's a great show

Not sure if anyone posted this but:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5045640-74/penguins-general-botterill#ixzz2katKQ7vd

Jason Botterill will be granted permission to interview with the Buffalo Sabres for their vacant general manager position, sources told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday.

Botterill, in his fifth season as Penguins assistant general manager, had not been contacted about the Buffalo opening as of Wednesday morning, when a front-office shakeup cost longtime Sabres general manager Darcy Regier his job.

Due to various contractual obligations, finding a permanent coach in the middle of the season is pretty difficult, no?

Outside of Peter LaPurple, I can't think of too many serious full time options that are currently available.

I've been wondering, like many on this board probably have, if this changing of the guard signifies that the tear down stage is complete. Some here expressed the opinion that DR was kept around for the dismantling and then a new GM would be brought in to complete the reconstruction. Time will tell, but I think a new GM will be in place sooner rather then later.

On Prime Time Sports (Bob McCowan's show) Glen Healy believes that Miller will be traded. I think Healy is a bit of a windbag, but he is on Bob's show regularly, so he must know something about hockey.

A link to the show yesterday is below. Patty was on too.

http://www.sportsnet...me-time-sports/

You need to scroll down a bit to see the recent podcasts. It's a great show

Healy is interesting to listen to, I'll give you that. He's regularly on HNIC radio which I get through XM. That is one odd show. It's nothing but 4 guys throwing inside jokes back and forth at each other constantly. So odd.

Enroth's pose sure is awkward.

He is a goalie, he sits in awkward positions for a living... Enroth is just waiting for Miller to make his exit so he can be the starter, simple as that. No animosity, just business. I am sure they get along quite well

Some of you are making this way too difficult to understand when it's an obviously simple move. Pegula has admitted he has no clue how to "make this hockey thing work" and handed over the team to Patty saying "make it work for me; I want a Stanley Cup."

That's it. There is no more analysis of the move necessary.

As for Patty's qualifications? He's smart, connected, cares deeply about the Sabres, and he makes Pegula's heart all a flutter. That's it.

Will it work? There are people whom, no matter what, find a way to achieve their goals. Who here will deny that Pat LaFontaine is one of those people?

Damn you, you just summed it all up into one nice neat little package with a bow on top! :)

Not sure if anyone posted this but:

http://triblive.com/...l#ixzz2katKQ7vd

Jason Botterill will be granted permission to interview with the Buffalo Sabres for their vacant general manager position, sources told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday.

Botterill, in his fifth season as Penguins assistant general manager, had not been contacted about the Buffalo opening as of Wednesday morning, when a front-office shakeup cost longtime Sabres general manager Darcy Regier his job.

But if DR wasn't fired until last night I am not surprised Botterill or anyone else has not been contacted yet. Lets see how things go this week.

You gotta figure phone interviews this week and then in person stuff next week and then a decision sometime either late next week or the following week. I am guessing about 14-21 days before someone gets hired.

Everyone is just gushing on here over PL. My question is, what experience does he have running this type of operation? I have no idea. Someone please tell me he has been successful somewhere.

Check out this article: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/pat-lafontaine-coaching-a-top-li-junior-club-1.3593859

I know it is not executive experience, but look at the record of the Royals with Patty as coach -

"The Royals are an elite team with a 50-5-3 record, ranked third in the country by myhockey.com." Quality shows and will win out. I have absolutely no qualms about Pat as Head of Hockey Ops. The key for anyone to do well at their job is to know their limitations and delegate jobs to those more qualified than themselves. Patty is a humble and VERY intelligent guy. He has already indicated that he is not ready to be a GM and that he wants to bring in someone with GM experience, possibly with a Stanley Cup on their resume somewhere. Sounds right to me.....

I can't believe that I missed the entire LaFontaine era. I didn't have a TV for a decade or so and was living out of the area before this here internet thing was around. I'm still excited about him, though. I've heard good things.

But if DR wasn't fired until last night I am not surprised Botterill or anyone else has not been contacted yet. Lets see how things go this week.

You gotta figure phone interviews this week and then in person stuff next week and then a decision sometime either late next week or the following week. I am guessing about 14-21 days before someone gets hired.

Your timeline for a decision puts it at 7-12 days. But the timeline for hiring 14-21. Do you think they'd delay a hiring after already making a decision?

Your timeline for a decision puts it at 7-12 days. But the timeline for hiring 14-21. Do you think they'd delay a hiring after already making a decision?

I was adding a week to get the details worked out and get the person here because I presume they currently work for some other NHL team.

Archived