Pat LaFontaine : The Future Begins

LGR4GM

Who does he hire as GM? Is this his first move?

What is his actual role? Head of hockey operations is vague.

Will he tell Terry to knock it off?

What does he think about having a bunch of guys in management now without girls names... Ted, Ted, Pat, Terry as opposed to Lindy, Darcy, Terry, Ted?

What do you love best about him being in charge?

I'm wondering if Zadorov and Risto finally get sent down to work on there games like most other teams do. I would much rather have Risto and Zadorov dominate in a lower league and log a ton of ice in all situations.

God I hope this is the first thing that happens. Zadorov to London and Risto to Rochester. Next year I am all for these guys coming up.

We got CoHo (1st), Myers (1st) and Ennis (1st) from the 2008 draft; McNabb (3) and Foligno (4) from 2009; Pysyk in 2010 (1); Armia (1) and Catenacci (3) in 2011; Grigo (1), Girgs (1), and McCabe (2) in 2012; Risto (1) and Zadorov (1) plus 3 second rounders in 2013; have 2 more firsts and 3 more seconds coming up in the next draft (pending whether the Isles defer their pick to 2015), plus a first and 3 seconds coming up in 2015...

We have quite a few young prospects and picks. I'd personally like to see some veterans mixed in with them to help all these prospects learn and develop. Trading every single NHL-quality veteran for more picks at some point makes less-and-less sense to me.

I guess we will soon see if Pat's philosophy on the matter differs from that of Darcy...

God I hope this is the first thing that happens. Zadorov to London and Risto to Rochester. Next year I am all for these guys coming up.

Agreed. Send them back and bring them up next year. Avoid one year of a losing culture for them. Bring up Sulzer and McNabb.

I'd be absolutely shocked and disappointed. Why in the world would Miller want to be here?

I really don't care if we trade Miller but I just don't think there is much of a market for goalie's right now and rumors about Anaheim I just don't see ever happening. I just can't see this team getting rid of almost every veteran and expect the youngsters to get tutored from who?

Agreed. Send them back and bring them up next year. Avoid one year of a losing culture for them. Bring up Sulzer and McNabb.

I would have had Sulzer and McNabb up from the start and had Risto and Zadorov back where they belong. I want them logging huge minutes and working on the small things in their games. Not trying to learn on an absolutely horrid team!

I really don't care if we trade Miller but I just don't think there is much of a market for goalie's right now and rumors about Anaheim I just don't see ever happening. I just can't see this team getting rid of almost every veteran and expect the youngsters to get tutored from who?

Who needs to be tutored by Miller? Enroth? I think he's had just about enough of that. Get value while you can or watch him walk for nothing. There's a long time between now and the deadline. SOMEBODY will give a decent offer somewhere.

I do agree that this team needs some vets around to teach, but I don't think Miller needs to be one. I also don't think Ott needs to be one. I would like to keep Moulson around and deal out Ott and Miller. Then sign a few cheap vets to one year deals this offseason.

I wouldn't be shocked if LaFontaine offered a contract extension to Ryan Miller. Not sure why I think that, but just a hunch...

Within the week Patty will have talked to Ryan to find out where his head is head is.

Once he gets the GM in place, he will act accordingly.

Both of these sound right.

Really? I don't think I've heard you say anything like this before.

Very nice.

We got CoHo (1st), Myers (1st) and Ennis (1st) from the 2008 draft; McNabb (3) and Foligno (4) from 2009; Pysyk in 2010 (1); Armia (1) and Catenacci (3) in 2011; Grigo (1), Girgs (1), and McCabe (2) in 2012; Risto (1) and Zadorov (1) plus 3 second rounders in 2013; have 2 more firsts and 3 more seconds coming up in the next draft (pending whether the Isles defer their pick to 2015), plus a first and 3 seconds coming up in 2015...

We have quite a few young prospects and picks. I'd personally like to see some veterans mixed in with them to help all these prospects learn and develop. Trading every single NHL-quality veteran for more picks at some point makes less-and-less sense to me.

Me too.

I'd be absolutely shocked and disappointed. Why in the world would Miller want to be here?

Well, none of the teams in proximity to his wife needs a goalie. There really aren't many options for him. He also strikes me as the kind of guy who would like to play his entire career in one place, and who would stay if he believed in the organization -- which might be the case now.

Well, none of the teams in proximity to his wife needs a goalie. There really aren't many options for him. He also strikes me as the kind of guy who would like to play his entire career in one place, and who would stay if he believed in the organization -- which might be the case now.

Almost every destination is "closer" to his wife. I think winning is the next biggest factor which is what will come to the forefront. He'll want to go to a place where he's not getting abused with shots every game and can win. It's going to take a little while for this new group to actually show that they're competent. Longer than between now and the deadline. The time is up on Ryan Miller in Buffalo.

There IS a market. It will develop more as time goes on. It'll happen. It's a matter of when.

Almost every destination is "closer" to his wife. I think winning is the next biggest factor which is what will come to the forefront. He'll want to go to a place where he's not getting abused with shots every game and can win. It's going to take a little while for this new group to actually show that they're competent. Longer than between now and the deadline. The time is up on Ryan Miller in Buffalo.

There IS a market. It will develop more as time goes on. It'll happen. It's a matter of when.

I think you're probably right that he will be traded, but I think the probability is lower now than it was yesterday.

And I agree that there will be teams who are interested -- but from the Sabres' perspective I don't think there will be any offers that are good enough to justify trading him -- i.e. I doubt anyone gives them a first-rounder, let alone what they got for Pommer or Vanek.

The other big factor is that the Sabres can, and likely will, pay him more than anyone else would.

I think you're probably right that he will be traded, but I think the probability is lower now than it was yesterday.

And I agree that there will be teams who are interested -- but from the Sabres' perspective I don't think there will be any offers that are good enough to justify trading him -- i.e. I doubt anyone gives them a first-rounder, let alone what they got for Pommer or Vanek.

The other big factor is that the Sabres can, and likely will, pay him more than anyone else would.

I'm willing to bet a team like St. Louis would be willing to move a first rounder for him if Halak slows down/continues to be injury prone. Elliot has already fallen out of favor there. The Ducks probably know for a fact that he'd sign an extension there so if they move Hiller (which I won't be surprised if/when they do) then they could bring in Miller for a first. I don't think it makes sense for them with Fasth, Anderson, Hiller and Gibson already in the organization, but it won't go away.

Far worst players have been dealt for first rounders near the deadline as rentals.

I'm willing to bet a team like St. Louis would be willing to move a first rounder for him if Halak slows down/continues to be injury prone. Elliot has already fallen out of favor there. The Ducks probably know for a fact that he'd sign an extension there so if they move Hiller (which I won't be surprised if/when they do) then they could bring in Miller for a first. I don't think it makes sense for them with Fasth, Anderson, Hiller and Gibson already in the organization, but it won't go away.

Far worst players have been dealt for first rounders near the deadline as rentals.

Gaustad was one of them -- but I can't remember the last time it happened with a goalie.

I think STL could do it, but only if Halak gets hurt between now and the deadline.

I don't think Anaheim is a realistic possibility. Things are going too well there now, including in goal, for them to upset the applecart with a trade like this. They're also a budget team and Miller will be expensive.

Overall I don't think any team with an established good #1 goalie is going to unload that goalie to make room for Miller.

Gaustad was one of them -- but I can't remember the last time it happened with a goalie.

I think STL could do it, but only if Halak gets hurt between now and the deadline.

I don't think Anaheim is a realistic possibility. Things are going too well there now, including in goal, for them to upset the applecart with a trade like this. They're also a budget team and Miller will be expensive.

Overall I don't think any team with an established good #1 goalie is going to unload that goalie to make room for Miller.

I don't think anybody will unload a goalie to make room for Miller. I think Anaheim will move Hiller because he's a UFA and probably wants a full-time starting job instead of a goalie-by-committee job.

I think the Isles are the perfect spot and Miller would agree to a trade there around the deadline, but he might not be willing to make that move right now. And the Isles might not believe it's worth their time if he might bolt.

Pretty much every situation you look at has some pretty severe "what ifs" paired with a potential move for Miller, but one or a few of them are almost 100% likely to open up. Colorado being one as Varlamov has his hearing December 2nd. Who knows what happens there. It's much closer to California, as well. I don't think Varlamov ends up with jail time, but if he does and it interferes with him playing in the NHL then I'm willing to bet Colorado immediately jumps on an available goalie somewhere. Giggy most likely doesn't keep up his current pace. Especially on a full-time basis.

Archived