Would Terry get booed?

PASabreFan

Would Terry be loudly booed if he stepped on the ice before a game?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would Terry be loudly booed if he stepped on the ice before a game?

• Yes
    • No

Given their level of indifference in times good or bad, I don't think the Chad and Buffy crowd would.

But that die-hard group of passionate fans would let TP have it with both barrels. As well they should if they are so inclined.

GO SABRES!!!

well it looks like i'm the first to vote and i did so before reading your post. i think there would be some catcalls but i don't think a full on assault would occur. Some of the season ticket holders would be well within their rights to let him have it but i don't think its acceptable for walkups to do it. I wouldn't feel right personally because i've spent little to no money on this team for a few years now.

Another angle on this question is whether he should make an appearance. He sure enjoyed the attention when he got here. I'd applaud him for having the guts to show up on the ice. Not sure what the occasion would be — are the Sabres planning to put anyone into their Hall of Fame this season?

He's also the type that does his due diligence. I were his advisor, I'd suggest that he strategically bring his wife and kids out with him. Human shields. I'd also suggest that he use an element of surprise. In addition to the wife and kids it would be even better to add a wounded war veteran or two, or a kid from the Make-a-Wish foundation, and as many Sabres alumni as he can finagle.

Otherwise, I'd advise him to limit his appearance to alumni night only. Pack the ice with former players, their families, and stay out of the line of fire. Try to hide in the crowd. Say absolutely nothing. If an innocent victim gets hit with a rotten tomato, then we make hay in the News the next day. And by all means, litigate, litigate, litigate!

For transit to and from the ice, to the private plane, etc, I'd advise him to have his handlers make inquiries into whether the old Pope-mobile can be rented weekly, or if it would be easier to just buy it outright. My services aren't cheap, Mr. Pegula, and I have a whole team of lawyers just waiting for your whole team of lawyers to infringe on my intellectual property. Let's make a deal.

What has Terry done wrong?

Well played sir.

Of all people, I'd have figured you would be the first to get the reference.

Edit: coming up on 1000 posts. You all have time to plan something nice.

I just passed a grand. The celebration was disappointing.

We don't know what a really bad owner looks like. Even Rigas wasn't bad to us as an owner (he was a criminal in his spare time). Go through the list of owners over time who are only interested in making a profit on their initial investment or have outright been horrible to their cities. Jeffrey Loria, Art Modell and others make Terry look like a saint. I forget the name of the Oilers owner (Pocklington maybe?), but he traded Gretzky for money. The biggest complaint we can make is that he kept Darcy as GM.

Pegula has not only spent to the cap, he's also decided to plop his own money down on a portion of the city which hasn't seen private $ in eons. On a project designed to bring new dollars to the region.

Another angle on this question is whether he should make an appearance. He sure enjoyed the attention when he got here. I'd applaud him for having the guts to show up on the ice. Not sure what the occasion would be — are the Sabres planning to put anyone into their Hall of Fame this season?

I've always wondered about this. All that I want out of an owner is to create a good working environment, empower hockey people to make decisions and stay out of the way. I have never understood the concept of expecting an owner to be an active part of the hockey operation.

That's more of a commentary on the fan base than it is on Pegula. He's been nothing but great to this city.

I agree, but the fan base on the whole doesn't pay attention to or really care about the stuff he has done for the city. I think Mother Teresa would get booed if she owned such a hapless hockey team. Having said that, I'd like to slightly amend my vote, he probably wouldn't get roundly booed today if he showed his face, but come March if this season goes where it looks like it's heading I think he would.

I don't know that there'll be an occasion for it, but I think it'd fall short of "loudly".

For my money, it'd be people listening to their lesser angels to boo the guy.

The only thing an owner should be booed for is a lack of commitment. I don't think we see that in him. Some poor decision-making, yes -- but not a lack of commitment.

Archived