Would Terry get booed?

PASabreFan

Would Terry be loudly booed if he stepped on the ice before a game?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would Terry be loudly booed if he stepped on the ice before a game?

• Yes
    • No

Booing a sports character is different than saying you want that person gone. Booing the powerplay after 30 consecutive failed attempts is booing to indicate you want an improvement in that element of the franchise, not that you want the six guys on the ice traded at the earliest possible moment.

But, wait. I do "boo" Darcy (or chant his name at some of the games I've attended) because I want him gone. Is Darcy a sports character? Maybe I don't understand what that term means.

Also, there's a fundamental disconnect between booing lackluster athletic play by players on your favorite team and booing decisions being made by the team's owner. They're entirely different species of ... well, "things." I don't think that bears elaboration.

My point remains the same: If you're booing the owner because he's making decisions, in good faith, with which you strongly disagree, well -- I don't know what to say to you. You view the world much differently than I do in this regard. I can't get there.

Give me an owner who's giving signals that he doesn't give a rat's arse about the team, and I will boo away. Failing that, I'm just giving him that somewhat grim pursed-lip look and offering up a light golf clap.

Booing the powerplay after 30 consecutive failed attempts is booing to indicate you want an improvement in that element of the franchise, not that you want the six guys on the ice traded at the earliest possible moment.

This is usually true, but perhaps not this year.

But, wait. I do "boo" Darcy (or chant his name at some of the games I've attended) because I want him gone. Is Darcy a sports character? Maybe I don't understand what that term means.

Also, there's a fundamental disconnect between booing lackluster athletic play by players on your favorite team and booing decisions being made by the team's owner. They're entirely different species of ... well, "things." I don't think that bears elaboration.

My point remains the same: If you're booing the owner because he's making decisions, in good faith, with which you strongly disagree, well -- I don't know what to say to you. You view the world much differently than I do in this regard. I can't get there.

Give me an owner who's giving signals that he doesn't give a rat's arse about the team, and I will boo away. Failing that, I'm just giving him that somewhat grim pursed-lip look and offering up a light golf clap.

You don't think Darcy is making decisions in good faith?

Another subtle, but important, distinction, or variable, in this entire hypothetical scenario.

I don't think most people believe Pegula is neglecting the team on purpose, or trying to damage the team purposefully/permanently. I think few people would believe that - most people get that hockey teams are the owner's "toy" just like a sports car or high-end instrument is to financial mortals.

Having a moment to think about it, I think I would change my vote: I don't think he'd get booed - loudly, like Regier does. This doesn't change the rest of my positions on this meme, other than my vote, which represents what I think fans would do given the opportunity. I think Buffalo fans are a little better than that.

When Regier is being booed, the fans are saying to Pegula: "your decision to keep Regier here is garbage". I guess I would amend my prior formula as well from booing = Regier = Pegula to booing = Reiger ~ Pegula. Meaning that while the boos may not be calling Pegula "garbage" they are calling his DECISION "garbage".

I think perhaps my reasoning up-thread was too influence by damaged-fan-syndrome.

Meaning that while the boos may not be calling Pegula "garbage" they are calling his DECISION "garbage".

Agreed, for sure.

And, like I said, if there are fans who feel that an owner's good faith persistence with what is deemed a garbage decision is a basis for booing him, well, then, have at it.

If and when you (not you, sizzle) do that sort of thing and I'm nearby, just know that I'll be the guy who's making a face that looks like I just caught wind of a horrendous fart coming out of your ass and and giving you the "can you believe this guy" stink-eye.

Why is does the owner get a pass because his decision was in good faith, but the GM does not?

This discussion is so dictated by subtleties and context. For example, if, in 17 years, Pegula still owns the team and is still making stupid-ass decisions that are simply killing the team's performance, then he SHOULD be booed, IMHO. However, presently, we simply have to allow that Pegula is still learning how to work with his new toy.

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I can see fans booing Regier because he has a history here, and people are not happy with that history, and they want someone else doing the job. He gets booed because of his extensive history and the results that fans are living with today, PLUS he gets booed as a way of telling Pegula that the fans do not, at all, like Pegula's decision to keep Regier here, AND allow Regier to dismantle and rebuild the team.

This discussion is so dictated by subtleties and context. For example, if, in 17 years, Pegula still owns the team and is still making stupid-ass decisions that are simply killing the team's performance, then he SHOULD be booed, IMHO. However, presently, we simply have to allow that Pegula is still learning how to work with his new toy.

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I can see fans booing Regier because he has a history here, and people are not happy with that history, and they want someone else doing the job. He gets booed because of his extensive history and the results that fans are living with today, PLUS he gets booed as a way of telling Pegula that the fans do not, at all, like Pegula's decision to keep Regier here, AND allow Regier to dismantle and rebuild the team.

See, more than anything, I'd be booing Pegula because he's playing with his new toy.

Why is does the owner get a pass because his decision was in good faith, but the GM does not?

Sizzle's got it, I think. Most of it, anyway.

This is more by feel than anything. I shouldn't have phrased it in absolutes, maybe. Like, as Sizzle suggests, you could have a scenario where an owner's been a jerk and a dipwad for a decade+ and then have a new-ish GM who can't seem to do anything right despite best efforts. Maybe then the owner gets booed, and the GM gets a pass.

For me, though, I do think it goes further than that. I do think that an owner acting in good faith gets respectful golf claps, while a GM doing his best (but sucking) gets booed. I think the booing stops somewhere in that analysis -- at the top.

The function of time is critical, too. If an owner were to stick with a failing, flailing GM beyond any reasonable timetable (I don't think we're there yet), then he'd start to lose the good faith presumption.

See, more than anything, I'd be booing Pegula because he's playing with his new toy.

So, you're booing him for being the owner of a pro sports team.

Same diff.

Too much analysis of a pretty simple sports phenomenon if you ask me. No matter where you go in the sports world, if you suck for a long time and/or suck in spectacular fashion then you are going to get booed on a regular basis. If the fans can't even be bothered to boo when things go that bad then you've got even bigger problems. If the Sabres are dead last in the league come March, which seems highly likely, pretty much any high profile figure tied to this organization not named RJ is going to get booed. It's all part of the suffering.

Sizzle's got it, I think. Most of it, anyway.

This is more by feel than anything. I shouldn't have phrased it in absolutes, maybe. Like, as Sizzle suggests, you could have a scenario where an owner's been a jerk and a dipwad for a decade+ and then have a new-ish GM who can't seem to do anything right despite best efforts. Maybe then the owner gets booed, and the GM gets a pass.

For me, though, I do think it goes further than that. I do think that an owner acting in good faith gets respectful golf claps, while a GM doing his best (but sucking) gets booed. I think the booing stops somewhere in that analysis -- at the top.

The function of time is critical, too. If an owner were to stick with a failing, flailing GM beyond any reasonable timetable (I don't think we're there yet), then he'd start to lose the good faith presumption.

So, you're booing him for being the owner of a pro sports team.

Same diff.

It's diff. How many owners are longtime fans of the teams they buy?

I will make this short and sweet. You come into those billions instead. Wouldn't you take the most logical approach to ensure that Cup? Would playing with your toy have any importance to you?

Too much analysis of a pretty simple sports phenomenon if you ask me. No matter where you go in the sports world, if you suck for a long time and/or suck in spectacular fashion then you are going to get booed on a regular basis. If the fans can't even be bothered to boo when things go that bad then you've got even bigger problems. If the Sabres are dead last in the league come March, which seems highly likely, pretty much any high profile figure tied to this organization not named RJ is going to get booed. It's all part of the suffering.

fair deuce.

You come into those billions instead.

from your keyboard to the almighty's ears.

we've covered some of this territory before. pegula has billions because of who he is and who he isn't. he's always been (and by virtue of his success has become much, much more) confident in his abilities, principles, and judgment -- to a fault, perhaps to a huge fault. in his mind, he is going about this in the most logical and methodical manner possible. i think that's part of why we get that "what has he done wrong?" incredulity. we see what he's doing and make judgments about how he's playing around with his new toy. he does not -- he cannot, he will likely never -- see it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

That image of LaFontaine in the suite, with Terry lurking behind him, was both hilarious and a bit creepy. It's like one of those photos found in an old scrapbook. Mom, who's that guy? Oh, that's your Uncle Terry. Mom, why did Uncle Terry go away again? Hey, who wants pie?

Archived