Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

I googled it again this morning and again didn't see Gorges on the roster at first glance. What the hell is going on? Am I now blind to all 26s?

His hand is busted up, he might be on LTIR or something. TSN lists him as "out indefinitely." Don't know why that immediately kicks him off the team roster on their page.

For being a "susperstar" he never made the Sabres a significantly better team. The best we could do was scratch and claw for 8th place every year. And, he hasn't/didn't make a ton of difference for the Isles. Those 4 first rounders from the Oilers would have done a lot more to rebuild this team that a (very talented) forward who doesn't put in a consistent effort every shift.

It really didn't do much for Edmonton either, did it? I am always perplexed as to why people think of Vanek as "lazy" or didn't put a consistent effort in (not trying to pick on you, just see it differently). I can think of times he was late on the backcheck or went through hot/cold spells, sure, but that is the case for almost everyone. On average though, I thought his effort level was pretty good, and if anything, his weakness was that he got too down on himself. I just find it strange how people adhere to pre-conceived notions when their eyes tell them something different.

Case in point: Zemgus comes back to the bench gassed, the majority of fans respond: "Wow, that guy is working hard". Vanek comes back to the bench tired, and the response is, "Vanek is out of shape", or "Does he smoke?". I honestly think it is only because one guy is out there taking the body, while the other guy is focusing his energy on beating defenders and setting up in front of the net. Throwing checks has better optics in terms of "hard work" I suppose. In any event....I needed to rant this morning....

1. Interesting that it's the game against Buffalo.

2. Which Vanek trade is the one that they're upset about?

The participants, some with bags over their heads and some carrying banners, plan to meet in the parking lot between the coliseum and the Marriott hotel between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. wearing their Islanders jerseys inside out.

According to Truszkowski, these are the chants that are scheduled…

* With 16:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: WANG MUST SELL

* With 12:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: SNOW MUST GO

* With 8:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: FIRE CAPPY

* With 4:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: WE WANT ANSWERS

This will be one to watch!

The participants, some with bags over their heads and some carrying banners, plan to meet in the parking lot between the coliseum and the Marriott hotel between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. wearing their Islanders jerseys inside out.

According to Truszkowski, these are the chants that are scheduled…

* With 16:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: WANG MUST SELL

* With 12:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: SNOW MUST GO

* With 8:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: FIRE CAPPY

* With 4:00 remaining in every period, they will chant: WE WANT ANSWERS

This will be one to watch!

Awesome.

I hope Islander fans are about as successful with this as the Isles are with hockey. In absolutely no circumstances do I want them to fire Snow before we get to use their pick, whether that's in 2014 or 2015. After we get the pick, then whatever, good for the fans!

Snow's an idiot, sure. But the root cause is the stupid, stupid owner. Even if the crowd wants it, he's not going to sell, at least not before they move into their new (equally silly) digs. So even if Wang fires Snow, he would likely hire someone equally as incompetent. Maybe Anders Nilsson.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I hope Islander fans are about as successful with this as the Isles are with hockey. In absolutely no circumstances do I want them to fire Snow before we get to use their pick, whether that's in 2014 or 2015. After we get the pick, then whatever, good for the fans!

I fail to understand this comment. The Sabres get a pick from the Isles regardless of who the GM is.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I fail to understand this comment. The Sabres get a pick from the Isles regardless of who the GM is.

If they fire Snow, then defer the pick to 2015, there's a chance the new GM could inject some basic competence into that organization and make sure the 2015 1st round pick we get from them is only a mid first rounder.

If they fire Snow, then defer the pick to 2015, there's a chance the new GM could inject some basic competence into that organization and make sure the 2015 1st round pick we get from them is only a mid first rounder.

He said "whether that's in 2014 or 2015..."

Edited by sizzlemeister

I think it's the same point. The Isles getting a new GM at any point before we can use that pick hurts our chances of getting maximum value for it.

A new GM is going to help their record this season?

A new GM is going to help their record this season?

There could be a short-term play better/harder boost for the players, I mean we've seen it here. More importantly, I'd be concerned that a different GM would make the "right" choice with the draft pick...for example, I could easily see Snow deferring the pick to next year even if that leaves the Isles with pick #10 this year. He's just that incompetent.

But you said... forget it.

I just re-read what I wrote, and clearly I'm incapable of typing a coherent thought, and my example sucked. So scratch my last post and let me try this again. I'm much much much more concerned with Snow getting fired, the Isles deferring, and the new GM making enough of an improvement to make the Sabres pick in the mid-teens, as opposed to a high lottery pick. With respect to the possibility we get the 2014 pick, even a 2 win "boost" from a house cleaning might be the difference in picking #4 or #7. So from a Sabres perspective, I can't see any scenario where we are better off with Snow getting fired...unless the new guy is somehow worse than Snow, which would be really impressive.

There's a very good possibility with Regiers history with the Islanders that he becomes their new G.M.

I was thinking this as well. I think there's also a possibility he actually turns down that job. He's smart enough to know how ###### that situation is. He may also (rightfully, I think) believe that he'll get other offers at some point. Maybe not Calgary, although he's been spotted having conversations with Burke, but somewhere.

There's a very good possibility with Regiers history with the Islanders that he becomes their new G.M.

Now that is a helluva call.

I was thinking this as well. I think there's also a possibility he actually turns down that job. He's smart enough to know how ###### that situation is. He may also (rightfully, I think) believe that he'll get other offers at some point. Maybe not Calgary, although he's been spotted having conversations with Burke, but somewhere.

Anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if Darcy turned down the job if offered.

Being that he worked with the Sabres when the Rigas' were being put away, then the NHL, then Golisano and lastly Pegula, I don't know if the Islanders situation would scare him. The upside of that job is that they already have Tavares, and either this year or next they should have a top 5 selection as well. And as much criticism as he receives here, he does have trading Gaustad for a first on his resume, along with the fleecing of Garth Snow. I know that trade track record doesn't address building a team, but those two wins alone should be enough to get an interview. From the start of his tenure, he lost 3 conference finals, lost the Cup once, winning the Presidents trophy as well. For teams that haven't had a sniff of playoff success like that, that resume is appealing.

I think they have some pieces. Tavares, Strome, Okposo, Grabner, neilson, Bailey, Nelson. They desperately need D and goaltending but both can be addressed through Free Agency . Lots of scoring potential so they can focus on improving the D.

The start of Thomas Vanek‘s time as a Canadien hasn’t been great — the team has lost all three games with him in the lineup, and he’s only managed to register one assist.

According to Habs head coach Michel Therrien, Vanek needs to change his style of play for the team to have more success.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/therrien-vanek-must-make-some-adjustments-to-his-game/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.