Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Interesting.

the at least teens part was interesting to me

After seeing the Ekblad interview, I'd take him at 2 if my #1 forward is gone. A blue line of Risto, Zadorov, Ekblad, Pysyk, McCabe, and no one gives a crap, could be the best blue line in the modern NHL bar none.

the at least teens part was interesting to me

After seeing the Ekblad interview, I'd take him at 2 if my #1 forward is gone. A blue line of Risto, Zadorov, Ekblad, Pysyk, McCabe, and no one gives a crap, could be the best blue line in the modern NHL bar none.

If Ekblad is there at 2 and Buffalo passes on him I would be very surprised.

Edited by X. Benedict

I think the most interesting part of that interview is Murray telling an 18 year old kid that if he picks him he wants him joining the rush and getting up ice.

Most rookies are asked to play safe and learn. Murray is interested in him getting up ice and making mistakes.

I don't think Ekblad is there at 2, but if he's there take him.

The most interesting part to me as the parent of a 12 year old boy was the poise and maturity of this kid. That's an intimidating setting. Well done, and props to his parents.

edit - just watched the Murray WGRZ interview - I guess he was not impressed! "had all year to prepare" "agent preps them". Awesome, loving GMTM.

Edited by bcardona

If Ekblad is there at 2, trade down and pick up whichever center wasn't taken at 1.

Depends on how far and what they can get for moving.

I don't think Ekblad will be a franchise guy, but he will be a very good player for a long time.

Dylan Larkin and Jake Gardiner? No way.

Draisaitl and Calgary''s first in 2015? Hell yeah.

@drane

Slightly disappointed if it's either of those two over Reinhart at two, but I'm good with any of the big four.

Barbashev, Larkin and Milano would be well worth trading up to get in those spots.

Lemieux and Kapanen would not.

De Leo would be a solid pick at 39 or 49, Mckeown at 31 or 39.

Edited by dudacek

@drane

Slightly disappointed if it's either of those two over Reinhart at two, but I'm good with any of the big four.

Barbashev, Larkin and Milano would be well worth trading up to get in those spots.

Kirkland at 49 would be a solid pick, this years version of Baptiste possibly

Here's someone else that just might be available in trade at the draft: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25983907/relations-between-ryan-oreilly-avalanche-become-chilly-again

Executive summary: Colorado is taking O'Reilly to arbitration.

Myers for O'Reilly straight up? Or Myers plus a #2? In that situation I wouldn't be unhappy if the Sabres drafted Ekblad.

And then add Callahan as a UFA?

So next year, the roster would include 3 nice additions in Ekblad, O'Reilly and Callahan.

Now that would get some excitement going.

@drane

I may be off where they value guys, but they are all on the radar. The Bennett thing may have changed, but a month ago I think he was their guy. After seeing the combine, I could understand Reinhart. As a fan I'm happy with any of the 3, Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart.

Here's someone else that just might be available in trade at the draft: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25983907/relations-between-ryan-oreilly-avalanche-become-chilly-again

Myers for O'Reilly straight up? Or Myers plus a #2? In that situation I wouldn't be unhappy if the Sabres drafted Ekblad.

So next year, the roster would include 3 nice additions in Ekblad, O'Reilly and Callahan.

If Reinhart is gone, I would take Ekblad and pull the trigger on Myers-plus deal.

And Im not sure the Avs would get a better offer, unless they are sour on Myers.

Reinhart/Myers > O'Reilly/Ekblad > Bennett/Myers

I wouldn't take Ritchie above Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Nylander. Would likely take him at seven.

Completely agree here. Ritchie is a nice player, but I would personally also take Perlini over him. He's a 8-11 type guy IMO (Ritchie).

GM TM working to acquire another 1st rounder?!

https://twitter.com/...642270237728768

Yea. He's said that for months.

What will happen is he will have a tentative deal in place with a team or two that if the guy they want doesn't slide to them, they will pull the trigger on the trade. It also works in reverse, if the guy the Sabres want isn't there they won't pull the trigger. Most likely scenario sees a trade on the draft floor.

Here's someone else that just might be available in trade at the draft: http://www.denverpos...me-chilly-again

If we could get O'Reilly for Myers straight up, it would be a modern day miracle. Although it is pretty apparent that Myers is viewed from two completely different lenses (people who think what you see currently with him is what you get, and people who think he's barely tapped his potential). I'm in the 1st camp, so I hope Colorado is in the 2nd.

Am I the only one who thinks Ritchie is a dangerous pick?

I'm always leery of under motivated big guys; scouts fall in love with what they could be, not what they are.

I'm thinking he's got Jim Sandlak or Andrew McBain topside.

Loved the Ekblad interview, both the way the kid (I would have no problem with him at 2) came across and the way Murray did.

I couldn't agree more on Ritchie...see my views on Tyler Myers. I haven't seen any of these guys play live in a game situation, so my opinion isn't worth much on any of the prospects. But from what I have read about him, and comments from people who have seen him play, this guy has bust written all over him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.