Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

That's a relative surprise. Knew that Bennett was a guy that nobody talked about that should be talked about, but Reinhart at 4? Especially with how good he has been of late?

The issue scouts have with Rienhart is that unlike some of his draft classmates he hasn't shown the same level of improvement this year. Scouts worry about him reaching a plateau and staying there. Reinhart is good in juniors but the real question scouts ask is how good is he compared to last year? last month? others around him?

Nikita Zadorov is an excellent example of this. He came into the NA game just last year. He steadily got better and more dominant as the year progressed and his draft stock reflected it. Parts of his game developed more and more such as his offense. Come draft day he fell to 16th because no one was exactly sure what they were getting and lo and behold he has continued to elevate his game again and again.

Reinhart is very good but what if his game doesn't have much more of a ceiling to reach? What if Reinhart is going to turn into a solid 50pt 2 way center? That is great but not top of draft great. I am not saying this will happen just something to keep in mind.

The issue scouts have with Rienhart is that unlike some of his draft classmates he hasn't shown the same level of improvement this year. Scouts worry about him reaching a plateau and staying there. Reinhart is good in juniors but the real question scouts ask is how good is he compared to last year? last month? others around him?

Reinhart is very good but what if his game doesn't have much more of a ceiling to reach? What if Reinhart is going to turn into a solid 50pt 2 way center? That is great but not top of draft great. I am not saying this will happen just something to keep in mind.

We had this conversation once before, but I think you're reading far too much into a single comment that was made earlier in the season. I get that point production isn't the perfect example of player development, but Reinhart has 50 points in just 33 games which is about a 109 point pace over 72 games. Last year he had 85 points in 72 games. So he is clearly producing at a much higher rate than he was on the same team last year. He's on pace for 35 goals and 74 assists which is the same number of goals, but 24 more assists.

I think that scouts were nervous about him production early on, but he's been on fire as of late and those issues seem to be done with.

Do you have a link of any scouts/analysts saying that stuff recently? I do know the comment you're referring to from earlier in the season, but I haven't been reading much stuff lately aside from just keeping track of stats and some stories.

Bennett is definitely somebody I like, though. I still think Reinhart is the clear number one pick despite the rankings. However, there's still a while left.

Bennett's improvement is actually much higher than Reinhart which comes into play with you point about potential and improvement. Bennett scored 40 points in 60 games last year (18-22). That's not too impressive. However, he's at 66 points in 40 games this year (26-40). That's a 99 point pace over 66 games (43-66). That's an outstanding improvement.

Draisaitl is another that has improved significantly. I guess the most likely reason that Reinhart has been jumped in the rankings is not by his own doing; he's doing very well for himself. It's the fact that Leo and Bennett really took off even more than was already expected. Looks like we might be able to fall to 2-4 and still get an elite forward. I think I was wrong about the gap between Reinhart and the next few forwards being big.

Edited by Tankalicious

We had this conversation once before, but I think you're reading far too much into a single comment that was made earlier in the season. I get that point production isn't the perfect example of player development, but Reinhart has 50 points in just 33 games which is about a 109 point pace over 72 games. Last year he had 85 points in 72 games. So he is clearly producing at a much higher rate than he was on the same team last year. He's on pace for 35 goals and 74 assists which is the same number of goals, but 24 more assists.

I think that scouts were nervous about him production early on, but he's been on fire as of late and those issues seem to be done with.

Do you have a link of any scouts/analysts saying that stuff recently? I do know the comment you're referring to from earlier in the season, but I haven't been reading much stuff lately aside from just keeping track of stats and some stories.

Bennett is definitely somebody I like, though. I still think Reinhart is the clear number one pick despite the rankings. However, there's still a while left.

Bennett's improvement is actually much higher than Reinhart which comes into play with you point about potential and improvement. Bennett scored 40 points in 60 games last year (18-22). That's not too impressive. However, he's at 66 points in 40 games this year (26-40). That's a 99 point pace over 66 games (43-66). That's an outstanding improvement.

Draisaitl is another that has improved significantly. I guess the most likely reason that Reinhart has been jumped in the rankings is not by his own doing; he's doing very well for himself. It's the fact that Leo and Bennett really took off even more than was already expected. Looks like we might be able to fall to 2-4 and still get an elite forward. I think I was wrong about the gap between Reinhart and the next few forwards being big.

I think these rankings show that. I don't take rankings all that seriously but when a guy who has been taughted as #1/2 is suddenly #4 I think back to what I have read. A couple of scouts indicated they wanted to see more out of Reinhart.

As for the points, he is older this year and that means physically/mentally more mature. It is one of the questions I have posed about Ekblad. Reinhart's production could be up because of that, although I think other reasons are involved. Ekblad for instance is physically superior to most of his competition so that has to be considered.

As for Reinhart the one thing I knock him for and this has to do with how I personally view guys, is that he is old for his class. Nov 95 bday verusus someone like Bennett with a late June 96 bday and more points. That makes me wonder because at that age 7months is a hell of a lot of difference.

I am just spitballing really. Reinhart could be improving and the earlier reports could be a non factor now. I don't use these rankings in the end anyways (I generally use ISS rankings) because they combine NA and European rankings. Food for thought really.

I like Reinhart a lot, but this seems to be a year where it would be OK to trade out of the top spot with someone else in the top four or five.

Possibly, but the first overall pick is a great marketing opportunity, and it also allows you to take whichever guy you want with no worry. Instills confidence in that player, as well.

If you're at number one and the team sitting at two says "we'll give you x and the number two pick so we can take Ekblad" then you take it and get your forward. Or if that team wants the forward that you don't. I wouldn't risk falling farther than three, MAYBE four if the price is right.

I think these rankings show that. I don't take rankings all that seriously but when a guy who has been taughted as #1/2 is suddenly #4 I think back to what I have read. A couple of scouts indicated they wanted to see more out of Reinhart.

As for the points, he is older this year and that means physically/mentally more mature. It is one of the questions I have posed about Ekblad. Reinhart's production could be up because of that, although I think other reasons are involved. Ekblad for instance is physically superior to most of his competition so that has to be considered.

As for Reinhart the one thing I knock him for and this has to do with how I personally view guys, is that he is old for his class. Nov 95 bday verusus someone like Bennett with a late June 96 bday and more points. That makes me wonder because at that age 7months is a hell of a lot of difference.

I am just spitballing really. Reinhart could be improving and the earlier reports could be a non factor now. I don't use these rankings in the end anyways (I generally use ISS rankings) because they combine NA and European rankings. Food for thought really.

I liked Bennett when the process started, but then all the talk on here was really centered around Reinhart and Dal Colle, so I let him slip out of mind. But I certainly am still a big fan of his. I would take any of those top three guys (Bennett, Leo, Reinhart) and be happy about it. I do think that the other two have more potential than Reinhart, but I don't think I would really take Reinhart out of the number one until the end of the season. The age difference is why many think Reinhart is he only guy in this draft that may be capable of playing right away. A guy like Bennett might go number one, but sit the year in the OHL still. Which that idea supports the tank, and could be healthy for the future.

Possibly, but the first overall pick is a great marketing opportunity, and it also allows you to take whichever guy you want with no worry. Instills confidence in that player, as well.

If you're at number one and the team sitting at two says "we'll give you x and the number two pick so we can take Ekblad" then you take it and get your forward. Or if that team wants the forward that you don't. I wouldn't risk falling farther than three, MAYBE four if the price is right.

Personally if I was the one in the chair, I take #1 and trade down to 3/4th and draft Michael Dal Colle. I then use the extra 2nd that I most likely just got, plus what I will guess is a later 1st rounder from trading a pending UFA to move back up in the 1st round (if needed) to take Ivan Barbashev or another skilled winger.

Edited by LGR4GM

Personally if I was the one in the chair, I take #1 and trade down to 3/4th and draft Michael Dal Colle. I then use the extra 2nd that I most likely just got, plus what I will guess is a later 1st rounder from trading a pending UFA to move back up in the 1st round (if needed) to take Ivan Barbashev or another skilled winger.

The Best Case Scenario:

The Sabres complete their tank (for once) and finish the year with in the bottom 3 (only Edmonton and Calgary are worse). They land one of Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, or Draisaitl.

The Islanders defer the traded pick until next season, giving the Sabres two 2015 1st rounders.

The 2014-2015 Sabres get off to a strong start in October and are never in contention for the first overall pick in 2015. Instead, they're fighting for a playoff spot and I don't have to spend several months hoping they tank. Then I never again have to hope for a tank because the NHL completely re-does its draft lottery so that finishing dead last doesn't help (i.e. the first 14 picks among non-playoff teams are completely random).

The 2014-2015 Islanders completely implode, giving the Sabres one of the top 2 picks in the draft anyway.

And here's what will almost certainly happen:

Miller and Enroth continue to be our two best players and drag the Sabres up the standings until they are in their customary 8-12 spot in the draft come June.

The Islanders continue playing great (and, FWIW, entertaining) hockey so that we end up with the no.10 or 11 pick from them in 2014.

The 2014-2015 Sabres get off to a terrible start but finish strong to land the no.8 pick in 2015.

Drew Stafford signs a 10 year extension and says he wants to retire as a Sabre. He plays the next 10 seasons like he is already retired.

A little bit more spitfood for thought is that Reinhart has proved his consistency over several seasons whereas Bennett could just be having a really good year and will regress next year. I wish I had the time and the internet connection speed to watch ###### loads of junior hockey, because at this point all I can really add is hypothetical questions on top of these already unknown commodities.

And Robviously, we know what you think will happen and how right you've been in the past. We've all read it like 60 times at least in the last year. I'll save my wrist slitting for after we lose the draft lottery and are actually picking out of the top 5.

A little bit more spitfood for thought is that Reinhart has proved his consistency over several seasons whereas Bennett could just be having a really good year and will regress next year. I wish I had the time and the internet connection speed to watch ###### loads of junior hockey, because at this point all I can really add is hypothetical questions on top of these already unknown commodities.

This is also a really good point. Also consider Rienhart is in his 3rd WHL season where as Bennett is in his second. Dal Colle also in his 2nd. Reinhart again is older and is a much safer pick because he has shown consistency. This is why when you start getting into the draft it gets so intense, there are 100 little details that all matter and all add up to player X. As more of the midterm rankings come out, I think we will get a better picture and with the WJC over some new scouting reports should surface for top guys.

Unless there is a monumental difference in talent, there is no way I'd draft a winger or D over a center. If I were in charge I'd draft centers, sign centers, and trade for centers until I had three I felt could be on a Cup winner...and then I'd acquire 10 more for good measure. Obvious exaggeration, but I think you get the idea: secure the middle of the ice because until you do, nothing else matters.

And Robviously, we know what you think will happen and how right you've been in the past. We've all read it like 60 times at least in the last year. I'll save my wrist slitting for after we lose the draft lottery and are actually picking out of the top 5.

Totes looking forward to being wrong someday.

Totes looking forward to being wrong someday.

Well... In this case: The Sabres are currently 15 points out of the eighth draft spot (14 our of 7th that could drop to 8 in the unlikely event that someone below wins the lottery). To get to 12th: 17 points. Pretty tall task considering 15/17 is half or over half of our current point production.

Well... In this case: The Sabres are currently 15 points out of the eighth draft spot (14 our of 7th that could drop to 8 in the unlikely event that someone below wins the lottery). To get to 12th: 17 points. Pretty tall task considering 15/17 is half or over half of our current point production.

There were 7 guys I really liked last season. They drafted 8th.

There are 5 guys I really like this season. I bet they draft 6th or later.

This is what the universe wants.

Unless there is a monumental difference in talent, there is no way I'd draft a winger or D over a center. If I were in charge I'd draft centers, sign centers, and trade for centers until I had three I felt could be on a Cup winner...and then I'd acquire 10 more for good measure. Obvious exaggeration, but I think you get the idea: secure the middle of the ice because until you do, nothing else matters.

Actually I'd like to pick your brain. With advanced stats, was our problem simply the center position or was it puck possession all around? I was curious if a big problem was the inability of wingers to dig pucks out of corners and keep the cycle going.

As for Dal Colle, looking at his highlights it is hard to tell if he plays center or wing and various sights have different listing. Central Scouting says C/LW

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=699869

CSS's top 5 North American skaters

1) Samuel Bennett

2) Deutschland Dangler

3) Aaron Ekblad

4) Sam Reinhart

5) Michael Dal Colle

In typical Buffalo developments, the Sabres will put on a late season meaningless point streak and draft between the 5th and 9th pick. Edmonton again will have the 1st pick!

Actually I'd like to pick your brain. With advanced stats, was our problem simply the center position or was it puck possession all around? I was curious if a big problem was the inability of wingers to dig pucks out of corners and keep the cycle going.

As for Dal Colle, looking at his highlights it is hard to tell if he plays center or wing and various sights have different listing. Central Scouting says C/LW

I think the problem was the combination of the two: the lack of NHL centers contributed greatly to an inability to possess the puck, not to mention other aspects of being a good team. That said, our wingers were/are not good possession players, so even with real centers I doubt we'd have morphed into LA or Chicago. Larsson and Girgensons are probably the best possession players we've had since Black Sunday...take a few moments to let that sink in.

The Best Case Scenario:

The Sabres complete their tank (for once) and finish the year with in the bottom 3 (only Edmonton and Calgary are worse). They land one of Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, or Draisaitl.

The Islanders defer the traded pick until next season, giving the Sabres two 2015 1st rounders.

The 2014-2015 Sabres get off to a strong start in October and are never in contention for the first overall pick in 2015. Instead, they're fighting for a playoff spot and I don't have to spend several months hoping they tank. Then I never again have to hope for a tank because the NHL completely re-does its draft lottery so that finishing dead last doesn't help (i.e. the first 14 picks among non-playoff teams are completely random).

The 2014-2015 Islanders completely implode, giving the Sabres one of the top 2 picks in the draft anyway.

And here's what will almost certainly happen:

Miller and Enroth continue to be our two best players and drag the Sabres up the standings until they are in their customary 8-12 spot in the draft come June.

The Islanders continue playing great (and, FWIW, entertaining) hockey so that we end up with the no.10 or 11 pick from them in 2014.

The 2014-2015 Sabres get off to a terrible start but finish strong to land the no.8 pick in 2015.

Drew Stafford signs a 10 year extension and says he wants to retire as a Sabre. He plays the next 10 seasons like he is already retired.

Wow........Just Wow!!!!!

There is no curse by the way.

Buffalo drafts 1 or 2 in June. The Islanders draft 8 to 11 and do not defer. They give it to us.

One of Montreal, Minny or LA trade for Moulson hoping to increase their goal production, particularly on the PP. It doesn't happen. Buffalo ends up with 2 picks in the 8/9 to 13/14 range and trades up to the 6th position, selecting Nick Ritchie.

At least, one can hope.

I kid, I kid of course, but in all seriousness, this may be the perfect year for Buff to land 2 inside of the top 6. My fingers are crossed in any event.

Edited by HopefulFuture

I think the problem was the combination of the two: the lack of NHL centers contributed greatly to an inability to possess the puck, not to mention other aspects of being a good team. That said, our wingers were/are not good possession players, so even with real centers I doubt we'd have morphed into LA or Chicago. Larsson and Girgensons are probably the best possession players we've had since Black Sunday...take a few moments to let that sink in.

I just barfed a little actually :sick:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.