Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

I'm willing to bet we get the first pick in this year's draft, but end up drafting around 5th in next year's draft. Just like the Bills taking EJ Manuel in the draft between two GREAT QB drafts, the timing will be wrong. And that's what separates the losers and the winners.

Don't get me wrong, though, I wouldn't be upset with Sam Reinhart or William Nylander. Both very good prospects. Might be the first 1st overall pick since Erik Johnson to not play for his NHL team immediately.

Edited by DStebb

Before i jumped on site tonight I was actually thinking about this same topic. I am in my late 40s so except for the first couple years I pretty much remember all of them. This is by far the worst Sabres squad ever. I will be surprised if this team gets to double digit wins. The worst part for me as a fan is the team is unwatchable and there really isn't much I can hang my hat on to be upbeat about. There is some talent on this team, but its obvious to me that Rolston is in way over his head. Darcy just sucks and that he is still here reafirms my belief that the plan all along for this year was to be so bad that we secure the first pick. No guarantees there either though because of lottery. This all just sucks.

Before i jumped on site tonight I was actually thinking about this same topic. I am in my late 40s so except for the first couple years I pretty much remember all of them. This is by far the worst Sabres squad ever. I will be surprised if this team gets to double digit wins. The worst part for me as a fan is the team is unwatchable and there really isn't much I can hang my hat on to be upbeat about. There is some talent on this team, but its obvious to me that Rolston is in way over his head. Darcy just sucks and that he is still here reafirms my belief that the plan all along for this year was to be so bad that we secure the first pick. No guarantees there either though because of lottery. This all just sucks.

This is exactly how I feel. I have been watching Sabres hockey since 1980 and I can't remember a team that is this bad. They can't even score which makes them unwatchable. I thought the last two years was a great chance to finish with a top 5 pick and instead of speeding up the rebuild they just prolong it by going on meaningless winning streaks just to mess up there draft position and still miss the playoffs. Now u throw in possibly losing your only natural goal scorer and your best goalie this makes it much worse. We need to finish in the bottom the next couple of years just to have a shot at Reinhart and McDavid. But like u said with the lottery nothing is ever a given. Plus the way the luck is for the city of Buffalo I'm sure they would lose the damn lottery. It's going to be a long painful couple of years watching this garbage. I don't mind you losing but ###### sakes play hard for 60 minutes and make it at least entertaining.

I'm willing to bet we get the first pick in this year's draft, but end up drafting around 5th in next year's draft. Just like the Bills taking EJ Manuel in the draft between two GREAT QB drafts, the timing will be wrong. And that's what separates the losers and the winners.

Don't get me wrong, though, I wouldn't be upset with Sam Reinhart or William Nylander. Both very good prospects. Might be the first 1st overall pick since Erik Johnson to not play for his NHL team immediately.

See I think Reinhart in particular is getting a bit of a raw PR deal because he's coming between MacKinnon and McDavid.

At some point, ticket sales/empty seats, merchandise and concession sales, and TV ratings, WILL take their toll. Where that point resides is the question.

When season tickets are at an all time high this year for this garbage. It's pretty sad that people are paying to watch this. I no longer live in Buffalo but watch and dvr all games since I left and I try to see them when they go to Phoenix, Anaheim and Los Angeles. But not the last couple of years because they suck and can't play a complete game if their lives depended on it. But this years team takes the cake. Outshot badly, can't score and their not even entertaining to watch. It should have never gotten this bad. Going on those meaningless winning streaks the last couple of years cost us solid draft positions to get a player that could make an impact. Plus when u throw in no balls Darcy to try to make a bold move in moving up he always states the cost will be too high. Yes it sucks u have to maybe give up a lot to make a move but sometimes it must be done. That's why I liked Brian Burke a lot because even though he had some questionable moves he went out to get the players he wanted even if he had to overpay to get them.

See I think Reinhart in particular is getting a bit of a raw PR deal because he's coming between MacKinnon and McDavid.

Even though a lot of mocks say otherwise, a lot of experts think Ekblad is the best player in this draft. I disagree. I think both forwards are ahead of him, but either way there isn't any clear separation at the top like there usually is. I want Reinhart and think he could start in the NHL immediately. Not so sure about Nylander. I would've taken Monahan over anybody in this draft. Shows you how good last year's draft was.

I think the plan is to deliberately be as bad as possible. I think this team could be the worst team more than back to back which wouldn't be a bad thing. I honestly like us to be this bad at least three years. I also think Mr. Pegula is willing to absorb any eventual revenue losses. Really hope we get mcdavid. nice to dream isn't it?

Even though a lot of mocks say otherwise, a lot of experts think Ekblad is the best player in this draft. I disagree. I think both forwards are ahead of him, but either way there isn't any clear separation at the top like there usually is. I want Reinhart and think he could start in the NHL immediately. Not so sure about Nylander. I would've taken Monahan over anybody in this draft. Shows you how good last year's draft was.

First things first...the answer to the question is yes. I remember 86-87 vividly, first year I owned seasons right out of college. Not even close.

Next thing and way OT, and I ask this seriously.....how do you have opinions on this? See I have no clue outside of what you guys say on these guys...just zero .

Football and basketball I can at least see on TV, no minor hockey on TV. Are there places on the interwebs to watch games, all star tourneys that are televised etc?

In the long term Terry Pegula will succeed, no doubt about it. This is his team starting over from scratch. I doubt if Vanek or Miller will be here after the trade deadline. Myers stays because of his big contract, hope he improves.

Edited by ALF

I think it's far too early in the season to declare they're the worst Sabres team of all. They're down there though.... and if they lose tonight against the Islanders I think it might officially be their worst start in franchise history. They'll probably win, and thus remain mired in mediocrity - not even able to excel at being bad.

At some point, ticket sales/empty seats, merchandise and concession sales, and TV ratings, WILL take their toll. Where that point resides is the question.

I was in WNY this weekend. I was in Tops in the Bills/Sabres section. I had a Sabres hat in my hand that I really liked and it fit me,… and I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I was in WNY this weekend. I was in Tops in the Bills/Sabres section. I had a Sabres hat in my hand that I really liked and it fit me,… and I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

There's a lot of that going around... Last season I donated quite a few Sabres' items to Goodwill (including two really nice caps that I had just bought a couple years' previous). I'm clinging to my vintage white Sabre's jersey, but I haven't worn it for a long time. It's going to be a long, long season....

I don't know if we will be, but I think we'll be in the conversation. I'll take it one step further: I think it's the plan.

Yes, this was the #blueprint begun last season at the trade deadline with MacKinnon or Jones in their sights. As we all know the plan didn't start out so well but it seems to be going swimmingly now.

White from GR was twittering this morning about how this season is like Shawshank and we're (eventually) going to come through the tunnel like Andy Dufresne [sic?] because we'll be getting top picks.

I can't quite get past the fact that Edmonton has been drafting at or near the top for several years, but still don't appear headed in the right direction. Seems to me that if you don't have the right people making decisions, the top picks won't save you.

White from GR was twittering this morning about how this season is like Shawshank and we're (eventually) going to come through the tunnel like Andy Dufresne [sic?] because we'll be getting top picks.

I can't quite get past the fact that Edmonton has been drafting at or near the top for several years, but still don't appear headed in the right direction. Seems to me that if you don't have the right people making decisions, the top picks won't save you.

This is exactly the Edmonton dilemma. They have a bunch of talent but it doesn't make them a team. It's as if Darcy is their GM too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.