Bill Mikkelson -82 ...Does Tyler Myers have a shot?

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I don't. They drafted Risto because they targeted him early as being NHL ready and they needed another solid defender because the pipeline was questionable. They took Zadorov because he was available. They didn't think he would be but he was so they took him. I honestly don't feel they had some grand design for this draft. If they did have a grand design they would have traded up to Carolina taking Monahan or Lindholm and then drafted a defender at 16.

No. That is what they would've done if their design were the same as yours.

It's quite likely that they surveyed their team and felt like they needed to get bigger and better on D -- i.e. that they were going to move on from Sekera to Pysyk and didn't have much faith in Myers and McNabb.

It's quite likely that they surveyed their team and felt like they needed to get bigger and better on D -- i.e. that they were going to move on from Sekera to Pysyk and didn't have much faith in Myers and McNabb.

An they brought in Tallinder and McBain on top of resigning Sulzer.. They wanted Risto (I fully believe they targeted him from the beginning), and Zadorov just happened to be there. I don't see a plan there.

What is the plan then? They traded 1 guy and added 5. 6 if you count Pysyk's full time gig.

An they brought in Tallinder and McBain on top of resigning Sulzer.. They wanted Risto (I fully believe they targeted him from the beginning), and Zadorov just happened to be there. I don't see a plan there.

What is the plan then? They traded 1 guy and added 5. 6 if you count Pysyk's full time gig.

Well, I think Tallinder was likely brought in because the D corps suddenly got very young and because DR was hoping it would revive Myers, Sulzer was brought in as cheap depth, and DR had to take McBain in the deal to get the 2nd-rounder from Carolina. Those were all short-term moves that don't really implicate their long-term plan for the D.

I think their long-term plan for the D is:

Ehrhoff & Pysyk -- here for the long haul

Weber -- good team guy, not expensive, plays a hard game and can play 15-20 minutes. They're glad to keep him for the 3rd pair.

Risto -- possible franchise #1 defenseman and presumably at least a #2-#3 guy.

Nikita -- kind of a wild card but presumably they hope he'll be at least a 2nd pairing guy and in any case a physical force.

Myers -- not giving up on him but not counting on him to be a franchise #1 defenseman anymore -- which means they still need one, which is why they drafted Risto.

Well, I think Tallinder was likely brought in because the D corps suddenly got very young and because DR was hoping it would revive Myers, Sulzer was brought in as cheap depth, and DR had to take McBain in the deal to get the 2nd-rounder from Carolina. Those were all short-term moves that don't really implicate their long-term plan for the D.

I think their long-term plan for the D is:

Ehrhoff & Pysyk -- here for the long haul

Weber -- good team guy, not expensive, plays a hard game and can play 15-20 minutes. They're glad to keep him for the 3rd pair.

Risto -- possible franchise #1 defenseman and presumably at least a #2-#3 guy.

Nikita -- kind of a wild card but presumably they hope he'll be at least a 2nd pairing guy and in any case a physical force.

Myers -- not giving up on him but not counting on him to be a franchise #1 defenseman anymore -- which means they still need one, which is why they drafted Risto.

That does all make sense. I guess in my biased way I don't trust darcy enough to believe he has a plan.

I used to think Darcy had a plan but now I think he just has some sort of vague notion

I'm thinking Darcy got Ristoleinen and Zadorov as a hedge against Myers and others who might not be working out. Myers confidence as a d-man is shot unfortunately. He's doing a lot of standing around at crucial times. Weber, who is also prone to stupid mistakes does not help as his partner...They are awful together. I'd try Myers as a forward for awhile because he seems clueless at D. I like the fact that Weber and Ott are like brothers but I don't think Weber's all that good and Ott, who shouldn't be on the top line w Vanek-Hodgson, is playing as if he's already elsewhere.

Exactly. Scoring is a problem, and they have several kids in the system and 4 picks in the top 60 next year to add more to the forward pool, but the Sabres inability to be tough to play against was just as big of a concern as it is scoring. Teams had no problems playing against us. Required minimal work. Adding some big, tough kids on defense, getting rid of some softer players (Sekera) was all the right moves. If the players turn out what we expect them to be is another thing but the mindset was right on. In today's NHL, you need to be tough to play against and solid puck movers so once you do create the turnover, you start your attack.

Puck possession is such a great state and translates really well to winning teams, which is common sense if you think about it. The less time in your own zone, the less chances teams get, thus, the more time you spend peppering the opponents goalie on the other side.

Want to get depressed, even more depressed I mean? Go look at the list of Calder Trophy winners. Of course that begs the question as to how good those winners were five years out. And this one: is Myers the biggest Calder Trophy bust in decades?

FYI, here's how the voting went, per SBNation.com:

1. Tyler Myers, BUF 1178 (94-29-5-3-1)

2. Jimmy Howard, DET 778 (24-45-34-16-5)

3. Matt Duchene, COL 755 (12-42-53-25-1)

4. Tuukka Rask, BOS 339 (2-14-19-31-33)

5. John Tavares, NYI 303 (0-2-18-50-49)

6. Niclas Bergfors, ATL 30 (0-0-2-2-14)

7. Jamie Benn, DAL 20 (0-0-1-2-9)

8. Michael Del Zotto, NYR 15 (0-1-0-0-8)

9. Victor Hedman, T.B. 6 (0-0-1-0-1)

10. Evander Kane, ATL 6 (0-0-0-1-3)

11. Johnny Boychuk, BOS 3 (0-0-0-1-0)

Cody Franson, NSH 3 (0-0-0-1-0)

13. T.J. Galiardi, COL 3 (0-0-0-0-3)

James van Riemsdyk, PHI 3 (0-0-0-0-3)

15. Tyler Bozak, TOR 2 (0-0-0-0-2)

wasnt chara traded twice? didnt he suck until he was like 26-27? serious questions, just asking, but I have not given up ALL hope yet. doesnt look good though

He was 24 when he was traded to Ottawa. Ottawa gave up their #1 center to get him so I don't think Ottawa thought he sucked at the time.

First full season in the NHL was '99-00. He was 22. First all star game appearance was 02-03, his 4th full season in the league.

He did have two seasons where he bounced between the AHL and NHL before getting there full time.

• 4 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.