Prediction time: opening night lineup

nfreeman

What's the team gonna look like to start the season?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following FNGs will be dressed for opening night?

• Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Flynn
    • Porter
    • Tropp
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Pysyk
    • Ruhwedel
    • Zadorov
    • McBain
    • Tallinder
    • Gauthier
    • Ristolainen
  2. 2. Who is your dark horse to unexpectedly make the Sabres' roster to start the season (even if he doesn't dress for opening night)?

• Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Gauthier
    • Zadorov
    • Hackett
    • Other
  3. 3. Who is going to be the other winger, with Hodgson and Vanek, on opening night?

• Foligno
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Tropp
    • Leino
    • Ott
    • Grigorenko
    • Other

Here's a couple of grains of salt on this: first, that lineup is what Vogl said he would do -- i.e. it's not based on anything from the coaches.

Ahhh, shoot. Sorry. My bad. I saw those in my feed and thought that he was doing the daily routine of reciting who's on the ice and in what combinations.

Send Girgs down when Tropp is back for the reasons Blue stated.

Myers/Tallnder, Ehrhoff/Risto, Pysyk/Weber for more balance.

And that would be exactly what I would do.

On the D pairings, I think RR's preference would be to have a clear top dog pairing that can play 23-24 minutes -- hence Myers-Ehrhoff. I'd also guess he'll trust both Tallinder and Pysyk more than he'll trust Risto and Weber, at least at the beginning of the season, which will result in the #2 pairing being Tallinder-Pysyk and the #3 being Risto-Weber.

On the D pairings, I think RR's preference would be to have a clear top dog pairing that can play 23-24 minutes -- hence Myers-Ehrhoff. I'd also guess he'll trust both Tallinder and Pysyk more than he'll trust Risto and Weber, at least at the beginning of the season, which will result in the #2 pairing being Tallinder-Pysyk and the #3 being Risto-Weber.

This makes sense but I think I would swap Weber with Hank. You don't want your Captain being your 5th D. We have NO FREAKING CAPTAIN on this team. Whoever gets it is by default though and if it is Weber I just don't see him in the last pairing. Hank wasn't good enough to dress a few times last year so there's that too.

This makes sense but I think I would swap Weber with Hank. You don't want your Captain being your 5th D. We have NO FREAKING CAPTAIN on this team. Whoever gets it is by default though and if it is Weber I just don't see him in the last pairing. Hank wasn't good enough to dress a few times last year so there's that too.

I understand your logic here but Tallinder and Risto played like crap together. I gotta think that Weber gets Risto to help protect him a little bit from the toughest competition and to have a dependable guy behind him. Pysyk and Tallinder seem to work well together.

I understand your logic here but Tallinder and Risto played like crap together. I gotta think that Weber gets Risto to help protect him a little bit from the toughest competition and to have a dependable guy behind him. Pysyk and Tallinder seem to work well together.

I get that but I figure Weber is there to help protect Pysyk who also happens to be the smoother skater/puck mover. I also think Risto will be there to protect Hank. :rolleyes: and get some sound fundamental advice while out there.

You certainly could be right about this. I suppose it comes down to how much mojo Tallinder has left. If he's still got it, his decision-making and overall smoothness are probably better than Weber's.

You certainly could be right about this. I suppose it comes down to how much mojo Tallinder has left. If he's still got it, his decision-making and overall smoothness are probably better than Weber's.

We know we aren't getting the old Hank. And we know he was benched a few times last year. You're right I think that it will come down to what he has left. He has no guarantees other than TPegs told Darcy to bring him in lol.

We know we aren't getting the old Hank. And we know he was benched a few times last year. You're right I think that it will come down to what he has left. He has no guarantees other than TPegs told Darcy to bring him in lol.

My biggest fear. If Pegula was the mastermind behind the Tallinder return to Buffalo deal, then we're in serious trouble and we'll sink even deeper before we start to move up.

okay, so this is from the team's twitter feed this morning - forward lines on the ice this a.m.:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford.

Ott-Ennis-Leino.

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia.

Scott-Larsson-Kaleta.

Adam-Porter-Flynn

They're missing Foligno, Tropp, and McCormick, obviously.

That said, that 5th line looks AHL-bound.

And now this from the same feed:

Tallinder-Myers.

Ehrhoff-Pysyk.

Weber-Ristolainen.

Rotating in: Sulzer / McBain / Zadorov.

Per Sabres Twitter: Rolston said today's lineup "fairly close" to what it might look like opening day. "We still have a lot of our young guys in there."

So one could guess this is are opening night lineup?

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford.

Ott-Ennis-Leino.

Scott-Larsson-Kaleta.

Ehrhoff-Myers.

Tallinder-Pysyk.

Weber-Ristolainen.

Rotating in: Sulzer / McBain

So one could guess this is are opening night lineup?

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford.

Ott-Ennis-Leino.

Scott-Larsson-Kaleta.

Ehrhoff-Myers.

Tallinder-Pysyk.

Weber-Ristolainen.

Rotating in: Sulzer / McBain

Don't forget Foligno. Not sure what his status is, though.

With Foligno in, maybe Ott moves to Grigorenko's line and Girgensons to Larsson's line?

EDIT: Hamilton just tweeted that Foligno has a strain, but should be ready to roll for game 1.

Don't forget Foligno. Not sure what his status is, though.

With Foligno in, maybe Ott moves to Grigorenko's line and Girgensons to Larsson's line?

Unless Foligno goes for Stafford (they did this in preseason) and Stafford goes to Armia... Armia then goes to Rochester where he can continue to grow.

I hate the idea of Ennis going back to centre. Hopefully after Foligno comes back we can have

Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno

Ennis-Larson-Stafford

Ott-Grigorenko-Leino

Tropp-Girgenson-Kaleta

I have no problem with the D combos.

Rolston's been pretty adamant that, if he makes the team this year (which now seems likely), Girgensons will make it as a winger.

Hand injury of some kind. No timeline given. He did skate today, per the league's website/blog.

With Tropp, mcCormick and Foligno al questionable for the opener, it leaves the Sabres a little thin in the toughness department. While Scott, Kaleta and Weber can hold down the fort, it leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

Foligno sounds like he will be back. Not sure about the rest and if Tropp comes back, I would substitute him for Stafford... not gonna happen. It will be interesting to see how many guys travel with the team but sit in the stands. Lets see how the young guys skate, McCormick sould only be brought on if someone gets hurt. Tropp should get a shot once he heals.

Archived