Prediction time: opening night lineup

nfreeman

What's the team gonna look like to start the season?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following FNGs will be dressed for opening night?

• Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Flynn
    • Porter
    • Tropp
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Pysyk
    • Ruhwedel
    • Zadorov
    • McBain
    • Tallinder
    • Gauthier
    • Ristolainen
  2. 2. Who is your dark horse to unexpectedly make the Sabres' roster to start the season (even if he doesn't dress for opening night)?

• Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Gauthier
    • Zadorov
    • Hackett
    • Other
  3. 3. Who is going to be the other winger, with Hodgson and Vanek, on opening night?

• Foligno
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Tropp
    • Leino
    • Ott
    • Grigorenko
    • Other

Never been a fan of his, but i do really like the idea of putting Drew Stafford with Hodgson and Vanek. If any one player on this roster can make a massive surprise impact, it's Stafford. And giving him ice time with our 2 best offensive players, could be the confidence boost he needs to have a big year. I doubt he will, but the reward is greater then the risk. We know what he'd do if he played with lesser talent. That's a pretty big example size. See what he can do with the best.

Never been a fan of his, but i do really like the idea of putting Drew Stafford with Hodgson and Vanek. If any one player on this roster can make a massive surprise impact, it's Stafford. And giving him ice time with our 2 best offensive players, could be the confidence boost he needs to have a big year. I doubt he will, but the reward is greater then the risk. We know what he'd do if he played with lesser talent. That's a pretty big example size. See what he can do with the best.

Well there's offensive as opposed to being OFFENSIVE. Hopefully the Staff infection is not a lost cause, but I fear that he in fact is.

Better than having vanek play rw...

Heard Darcy on WGR and it sounded to me like there's a possibility that Grigs may wind up back in the Q with Larsson playing so well. Ennis playing in the middle is also a factor in this.

Grigs better really show something in these last preseason games.

I have no problem with Grigs going back to the Q. From what I seen he's not really ready. Bad thing is junior isn't going to do much for him. It's a stupid rule but the kid should be in the AHL.

Heard Darcy on WGR and it sounded to me like there's a possibility that Grigs may wind up back in the Q with Larsson playing so well. Ennis playing in the middle is also a factor in this.

I think sending him back would be the best choice. Let him grow a little more.

Maybe it's a good thing Grigorenko had a solid game last night because, if he can't stick with the big club, I don't like the idea of sending him back to the Q, where there is nothing for him to learn (and, in fact, opportunities for him to regress further).

It may also be relevant that Roy's no longer the coach at Grig's junior squad (my sense is that Roy was a mentor to the young man).

I think sending him back would be the best choice. Let him grow a little more.

You know I was in this boat for a long time. However after seeing Weber's skating progress I think it would be best if Mikhail stays in Buffalo and works with our coaches and staff while getting sheltered minutes.

As much as I've been skeptical of Grigorenko's readiness, and have to admit he is better off as a part-timer learning in Buffalo than he is being bored and reinforcing bad habits in the Q.

It's making the best of a bad situation.

This is probably the most likely outcome, but the other factor to consider is whether sending him back down to juniors (or just threatening to do so as RR seems to be doing) would be a motivational move that he could benefit from.

the other factor to consider is whether sending him back down to juniors (or just threatening to do so as RR seems to be doing) would be a motivational move that he could benefit from.

threatening it? sure.

actually doing it? bad idea, IMO.

grig's skating and defensive-zone play are the biggest things that need to improve. if he stays with the big club, he has a chance to work on both (even if he's in the press box some nights). if he goes back to the Q, he will work on neither.

So one could guess this is are opening night lineup?

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford.

Ott-Ennis-Leino.

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia.

Scott-Larsson-Kaleta.

Ehrhoff-Myers.

Tallinder-Pysyk.

Weber-Ristolainen.

Rotating in: Sulzer / McBain

After seeing it last night I am all for and hope RR rolls with a kid line. Don't really care if it's Grigs or Larsson at center. If we are going youth lets go. And these guys all looked the part last night so I hope they let em go until they show otherwise.

Basically I look at it like this: if you're not going to play him at the second line center then just release him. Getting bottom six minutes isn't going to do anything for him, and neither is another season in a league where he can do no wrong. It'll just kill his confidence even more and waste a great talent.

(Could handle him on the third line if we give a lot of minutes to three lines).

As much as I've been skeptical of Grigorenko's readiness, I have to admit he is better off as a part-timer learning in Buffalo than he is being bored and reinforcing bad habits in the Q.

It's making the best of a bad situation.

I definitely agree with the bolded. He doesn't have much more to gain from the Q.

i think we may seem grig centering a third line, getting protected with a lot of offensive-zone starts.

i think that may leave larsson centering a 4th line. i know people said he looked comfortable there; i think i'd like him doing a bit more than that. unless, of course, the 4th line is going to get ~10 minutes per game.

i think we may seem grig centering a third line, getting protected with a lot of offensive-zone starts.

i think that may leave larsson centering a 4th line. i know people said he looked comfortable there; i think i'd like him doing a bit more than that. unless, of course, the 4th line is going to get ~10 minutes per game.

So another year without having a line worth a ###### defensively. I've seen this movie before...

Archived