Prediction time: opening night lineup

nfreeman

What's the team gonna look like to start the season?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following FNGs will be dressed for opening night?

• Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Flynn
    • Porter
    • Tropp
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Pysyk
    • Ruhwedel
    • Zadorov
    • McBain
    • Tallinder
    • Gauthier
    • Ristolainen
  2. 2. Who is your dark horse to unexpectedly make the Sabres' roster to start the season (even if he doesn't dress for opening night)?

• Girgensons
    • Larsson
    • Armia
    • Adam
    • McNabb
    • Gauthier
    • Zadorov
    • Hackett
    • Other
  3. 3. Who is going to be the other winger, with Hodgson and Vanek, on opening night?

• Foligno
    • Ennis
    • Stafford
    • Tropp
    • Leino
    • Ott
    • Grigorenko
    • Other

Well, now that camp has started and RR is getting a chance to teach, pick and choose and generally shape the team to his liking, and there are a lot of new faces, I thought it was time for some predictions.

Let's have 'em.

Admit it: you're kinda looking forward to seeing how this works out. I know I am.

Go Sabres.

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

I doubt Z is ready for it but I share your wish for the defense.

I doubt Z is ready for it but I share your wish for the defense.

I know it's just gut feel, but just the little bit I've seen of him in video I think he's ready. The way he skates says it all to me. I see his footwork, his poise and his timing/patience as the sign of someone who is both mentally and physically ready to match up against NHL talent. Preseason will hopefully provide a much better opportunity for evaluation.

I think the lines will look like this (as long as no one opens the season hurt):

Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford

Ennis - Larsson - Foligno

Ott - Grigorenko - Leino

Kaleta - Porter - Tropp

Ehrhoff - Myers

Tallinder - Pysyk

Weber - McBain

Scratches - Scott, McCormick, Sulzer

To Rochester - Risto, Zemgus, Flynn, Ruhwedel, Armia, Adam, McNabb, Gauthier-Leduc

I really think the opening lines for training camp will be how we open the season.

Tropp McCormick Kaleta looks like a bulldog fourth line.

Larsson holds off Porter for the third centre spot.

My questions are:

Is Tropp all the way back from his injury?

Will Flynn or Porter be clearly better than Grigorenko and McCormick and cause a shuffle?

Will Risto or McNabb grab the sixth D spot? (Pysyk is there for sure)

Sulzer and Scott are the extra bodies.

Grigs is the only young player they keep if he's not guaranteed regular minutes.

I know. I can't help it! I need something to look forward to, and it can't be just hoping that Stafford finally removes head from rectum.

And is that McCormick in your avatar?

Yeah. I am going to use Cody as my av until he's not a Sabre.

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

Zadorov is VERY raw. Ruhwedel looked very good in the time he got. I'm not really sure why people are writing him off when he's likely one of our best prospects.

I really think the opening lines for training camp will be how we open the season.

Tropp McCormick Kaleta looks like a bulldog fourth line.

Larsson holds off Porter for the third centre spot.

My questions are:

Is Tropp all the way back from his injury?

Will Flynn or Porter be clearly better than Grigorenko and McCormick and cause a shuffle?

Will Risto or McNabb grab the sixth D spot? (Pysyk is there for sure)

1. Yes. He was back last year (likely not 100%, but I doubt he anything less than 100% at this point).

2. No. Grigorenko will be the second line center. I don't see anything changing that outside of injury.

3. That's a question that I wish we didn't have to answer. I think they should both be on our NHL roster. There's such a logjam of NHL-ready young guys... which is why I realized I hate the Tallinder move. McBain should just be put down in Rochester. Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Risto and McNabb all deserve NHL minutes. So maybe just let Risto play in Rochester for now.

Zadorov is VERY raw. Ruhwedel looked very good in the time he got. I'm not really sure why people are writing him off when he's likely one of our best prospects.

1. Yes. He was back last year (likely not 100%, but I doubt he anything less than 100% at this point).

2. No. Grigorenko will be the second line center. I don't see anything changing that outside of injury.

3. That's a question that I wish we didn't have to answer. I think they should both be on our NHL roster. There's such a logjam of NHL-ready young guys... which is why I realized I hate the Tallinder move. McBain should just be put down in Rochester. Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Risto and McNabb all deserve NHL minutes. So maybe just let Risto play in Rochester for now.

What are these statements based on? There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

What are these statements based on? There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

Not putting words in his mouth, but an argument can be made the current lineup is ######.

Jettison the guys that aren't part of the future and let the guys that show promise sink or swim.

Not my preference, but it's a legitimate point of view.

I think Grigs on the second line is based purely on the roster. There's nobody else, and he doesn't fit anywhere else.

man, that is a rough looking lineup. at least at the forward ranks. we could actually be pretty good with the D (although with a weak set of forwards, the D will suffer).

the nice thing about 2013-2014: i haven't had expectations this low for a sabres season since ... well, i'm not sure. maybe never. the upside of low expectations is that they are often exceeded.

man, that is a rough looking lineup. at least at the forward ranks. we could actually be pretty good with the D (although with a weak set of forwards, the D will suffer).

the nice thing about 2013-2014: i haven't had expectations this low for a sabres season since ... well, i'm not sure. maybe never. the upside of low expectations is that they are often exceeded.

I'm at a better place this year than last year. I am really excited to see this young team. I know they are going to struggle but I am excited anyway.

So, Darcy said that McCormick will not be in the AHL this season. He will either be in Buffalo or another NHL team. If Cody is on this roster, how many games does John Scott see? I could see Scott getting waived. I have mixed feelings about this. I liked having the nuclear option on the roster for certain teams.

What TrueBlue said. They've been ranting and raving about Grigs for a while now. That's because they want the fans to buy into the fact that they're putting him on the second line. And it's the right move. Give him a REAL chance to show what he's got. Moving Ennis to wing means that he's really the only option there.

So, Darcy said that McCormick will not be in the AHL this season. He will either be in Buffalo or another NHL team. If Cody is on this roster, how many games does John Scott see? I could see Scott getting waived. I have mixed feelings about this. I liked having the nuclear option on the roster for certain teams.

Scott can just ride the press box or fill in when Kaleta inevitably gets hurt.

Archived