All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

Girgensons spent a year in the AHL and did little until the playoffs. He showed that he was ready this year to play in the NHL.

This is an important detail that has been lost in this discussion. Yes Zemgus made the jump to the AHL at a young age, but he actually did have a full year of AHL hockey under his belt when he did that. Ristolainen could very easily wind up the same way. Unfortunately that is something that isn't available to Zadorov until he's older.

If this gets an First line center in return, then it frees Gee'em-Tee'em to draft Eckblad.

I think you could probably make a deal with EDM for their 3rd overall pick if you began with either Ehrhoff or Myers and went from there. Could you flip Myers for Ekblad and ??? I honestly do not know but it is worth a conversation with EDM.

Mostly I just wanted to use the phrase "assumes his ultimate form"

Easily the best phrase to come out of the board this year. I love that video. I had to watch it two more times when I read your post. Now I'm going to watch it again.

Edited by Eleven

The biggest reason not to have Zadorov, or any of the recent draft picks, in Buffalo is because the team is going to be terrible. Why put them in a situation that they can't succeed in. I don't expect Murray to provide any immediate help for next season. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers and Ehroff traded at the draft. There is no one to support Zadorov, Risto, etc. in Buffalo. Murray gets through one more season of the tank, the 2015 draft and then we see major changes to the roster for the 2015-2016 season. One more year in the AHL or juniors for everyone who is eligible, hopefully they get some playoff experience and then move up to the Sabres.

I think the bolded parts are indeed the plan, although I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run at signing Callahan.

I'm really not interested in looking at player development through the lense of "look at what X player did". I want the players who are ready to be playing. That's what needs to happen. Not ready? Fine, let them stay where they are. But this aversion to playing them on the Sabres just because we expect that team to suck does not mean that won't be the place where they are in the best position to succeed.

Play them where they belong.

This is a pretty loaded statement. Does Nikita "belong" in Buffalo if he's one of the 7 defensemen in the system most capable of playing in the NHL right now? Or does he only "belong" if his development is best facilitated by being in the NHL now as opposed to juniors?

We all want to see him flying around, playing with passion and hopefully putting Lucic through the boards. But he'll almost certainly turn into a better player by getting another year in juniors and then a year in the AHL.

Ehrhoff and Myers are probably gone at the draft.

Unless the Sabres drastically change their stated direction and actions, the Sabres won't be mediocre they will be very bad possibly worse than this past season. And they should be to maximize draft position in the 2015 draft.

My take on the Sabres approach to player development: It seems that Murray and Nolan agree that young players should spend time in the AHL or juniors unless they are spectacular. The Sabres don't have any players that are spectacular. However, if someone shows next year that they are spectacular they'll be in the NHL.

Deslauriers will play with the Sabres. He's 23 and has already spent 2 full seasons between the AHL and 17 games with the Sabres.

McCabe will most likely spend next year in Rochester.

Girgensons spent a year in the AHL and did little until the playoffs. He showed that he was ready this year to play in the NHL.

I don't think anyone is worried about the players feelings when it comes to where they play. The major concern is the player's development and that probably occurs best when the player is put in a position to succeed and learn all facets of the game. I don't think that occurs on the Sabres next season.

Good post. I don't think Myers or Ehrhoff will be traded, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. I especially agree with the other bolded parts.

This is an important detail that has been lost in this discussion. Yes Zemgus made the jump to the AHL at a young age, but he actually did have a full year of AHL hockey under his belt when he did that. Ristolainen could very easily wind up the same way. Unfortunately that is something that isn't available to Zadorov until he's older.

This.

I think you could probably make a deal with EDM for their 3rd overall pick if you began with either Ehrhoff or Myers and went from there. Could you flip Myers for Ekblad and ??? I honestly do not know but it is worth a conversation with EDM.

I think Ekblad is the real deal. I'd flip Myers for Ekblad straight up.

The question of where a player belongs is no decided based upon his playing skill alone. In the world of no contracts, no minor league limitations, etc. the best players make the team. That is not always the case when it comes to professional sports and especially the NHL.

In the NHL a player may not be put where he belongs based on skill but based on where it benefits the team over the long haul. So, a player who is eligible to stay in the AHL can provide flexibility to your team should injury occur. The decision for Zadarov is based largely on his ability but also into the long term plans of the Sabres. Just because he can learn in the NHL doesn't mean the team benefits by having him there. He'll learn next year as well and he won't be burning a year of his contract. His development this year in the NHL, while important, will have marginal impact for the Sabres if there is nothing else capitalizing on it.

The question is.. does his development this year warrant expending a year of his contract? The answer is probably no. Assuming you are going to aim for top draft honors in 2015, the development of Zadarov can be stemmed until then because that's when the Sabres really want their new young players to play together.

I'm not saying any of this will happen this way but it's absolutely a factor in the decision making process. GM's cannot afford to handcuff their roster flexibility for one player.

Has nothing to do with Grigorenko. Right now the franchise is at rock bottom as far as the level of play in Buffalo. No need to expose a guy line Zadorov to that.

players like nikita help change a losing culture. He will get his tryout games to show he belongs. I trust murray and nolan to decide what is best for player and team

players like nikita help change a losing culture. He will get his tryout games to show he belongs. I trust murray and nolan to decide what is best for player and team

I agree. No guarantee it'll go one way or the other.

Edited by Tankalicious

I think Ekblad is the real deal. I'd flip Myers for Ekblad straight up.

I am starting to think this as well. If you could do that, give up Myers for #3 and a 3rd? 2nd? Roster player? Something along those line, would you do it?

I am starting to think this as well. If you could do that, give up Myers for #3 and a 3rd? 2nd? Roster player? Something along those line, would you do it?

If I'm Murray and I can get one of these: a young top 3 forward for Myers, an additional top 5 pick, or someone like O'Reilly or Skinner, I do it and draft Ekblad.

Edited by X. Benedict

If I'm Murray and I can get one of these: a young top 3 forward for Myers, an additional top 5 pick, or someone like O'Reilly or Skinner, I do it and draft Ekblad.

I was actually thinking Myers and the Wild's second for #3 overall and Eberle? or something. I am not really sure of the value. Others input would be nice.

Don't forget the risk that you don't get Ekblad at #3.

Then you're stuck with Bennett AND Reinhart.

I totally understand that. The back part of this deal is flipping #2 for #1. That way you draft 1 and 3. I would guess that sliding FLA from 1 to 2 would just take a nudge unless the really must have ekblad. Lots of gambling to do.

I was actually thinking Myers and the Wild's second for #3 overall and Eberle? or something. I am not really sure of the value. Others input would be nice.

I would make that trade, but I doubt Edmonton would. Buffalo would have to add a good asset into the mix and the Oilers would prefer someone who can play now. But I've always thought the 'Myers/Eberle scenario had potential. Throw Foligno in and you might get it done.

Don't forget the risk that you don't get Ekblad at #3.

Then you're stuck with Bennett AND Reinhart.

We don't make the deal until Florida takes Bennett.

And then we'd pick Ekblad and Draisaitl.

Nope no way. Then we are the Oilers. Young players maybe good, but they need vets to give them space to get their feet. Ekblad would become our 2nd over D-man, facing Crosby, Ovechkin, Grioux etc. on a nightly basis. It just doesn't end well

We have depth in our farm system. You don't trade vets to add more depth. Myers is 24, at some point you have to let players grow and play rather than trade them for newer younger models

I would make that trade, but I doubt Edmonton would. Buffalo would have to add a good asset into the mix and the Oilers would prefer someone who can play now. But I've always thought the 'Myers/Eberle scenario had potential. Throw Foligno in and you might get it done.

We don't make the deal until Florida takes Bennett.

And then we'd pick Ekblad and Draisait Reinhart.

Yea I think you are right we would need to toss in a sweetener. Also on your second point, you had a misspelling but I corrected it for you.

Nope no way. Then we are the Oilers. Young players maybe good, but they need vets to give them space to get their feet. Ekblad would become our 2nd over D-man, facing Crosby, Ovechkin, Grioux etc. on a nightly basis. It just doesn't end well

We have depth in our farm system. You don't trade vets to add more depth. Myers is 24, at some point you have to let players grow and play rather than trade them for newer younger models

I have said it before and I will again, I think Tyler Myers lacks the ability to consistently think at NHL game speed. I don't think he is smart enough.

Ekblad is really good. If he's the best player in the draft, do you ignore him, or make room for him?

I'm okay drafting Ekblad. I'm optimistic that Myers (or Erhoff) with a package of picks can bring an offensive return. I'm also optimistic that

Ekblad-Risto

Zadorof-Pysyk

would make a very good top 4 for years.

I'm pessimistic that a package including Myers will be moved... Period. For anything. He's one of the few we should be keeping around. Ehrhoff can go. He's not young anymore and doesn't seem to want to be here.

Last offseason I wanted them to move Myers for just about anything. This offseason I would want a king's ransom for him. I would've taken Jeff Skinner last year, but I don't think I would this year.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.