All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

I'm pessimistic that a package including Myers will be moved... Period. For anything. He's one of the few we should be keeping around. Ehrhoff can go. He's not young anymore and doesn't seem to want to be here.

Last offseason I wanted them to move Myers for just about anything. This offseason I would want a king's ransom for him. I would've taken Jeff Skinner last year, but I don't think I would this year.

I'd take Skinner.

Nope no way. Then we are the Oilers. Young players maybe good, but they need vets to give them space to get their feet. Ekblad would become our 2nd over D-man, facing Crosby, Ovechkin, Grioux etc. on a nightly basis. It just doesn't end well

We have depth in our farm system. You don't trade vets to add more depth. Myers is 24, at some point you have to let players grow and play rather than trade them for newer younger models

I agree with you on the veteran point, but the other big part of the Oilers' problem is that they are overweighted at forward and underweighted at D and goalie. The Sabres are overweighted on D but underweighted at forward.

I don't particularly want to trade Myers, and I'm skeptical that it will happen, but I'd be OK if he brought back Skinner or Eberle. Not sure about O'Reilly, and NFW on Yakupov (definitely yes on Hall, but Edmonton wouldn't make that deal).

Ekblad is really good. If he's the best player in the draft, do you ignore him, or make room for him?

I'm okay drafting Ekblad. I'm optimistic that Myers (or Erhoff) with a package of picks can bring an offensive return. I'm also optimistic that

Ekblad-Risto

Zadorof-Pysyk

would make a very good top 4 for years.

I just don't know enough about Ekblad to say whether I'd want to trade Myers for him. If he's Shea Weber, it's a great move. If he's Erik Johnson? Probably not worth the time loss in development -- and it removes one of the Sabres' best trade assets from possible usage for upgrading the forwards, which is what they really need.

I agree with you on the veteran point, but the other big part of the Oilers' problem is that they are overweighted at forward and underweighted at D and goalie. The Sabres are overweighted on D but underweighted at forward.

I don't particularly want to trade Myers, and I'm skeptical that it will happen, but I'd be OK if he brought back Skinner or Eberle. Not sure about O'Reilly, and NFW on Yakupov (definitely yes on Hall, but Edmonton wouldn't make that deal).

I just don't know enough about Ekblad to say whether I'd want to trade Myers for him. If he's Shea Weber, it's a great move. If he's Erik Johnson? Probably not worth the time loss in development -- and it removes one of the Sabres' best trade assets from possible usage for upgrading the forwards, which is what they really need.

Ekblad has it all: balance, speed, size, monster shot, vision, mean streak. I really think he's about as close as I've seen to a can't miss D prospect.

I don't think the Sabres should be looking to move Myers or any of the top d prospects. While we have plenty, and probably a few extra, I'd rather we wait them out and make damn sure we get a good top six out of it. In two/three years when the team may be ready to compete but needs a little scoring and still has a surplus I would move then.

Ekblad is really good. If he's the best player in the draft, do you ignore him, or make room for him?

I'm okay drafting Ekblad. I'm optimistic that Myers (or Erhoff) with a package of picks can bring an offensive return. I'm also optimistic that

Ekblad-Risto

Zadorof-Pysyk

would make a very good top 4 for years.

It would be good, if it could be developed. This season we iced 4 teenagers for a while. It was never going to work well. I want a team where the locker-room has a maturity to it (as much a sports locker room can) and where the kids are put in positions to succeed, not asked to step their game up a level before they have laced their skates up for the first time

I don't think the Sabres should be looking to move Myers or any of the top d prospects. While we have plenty, and probably a few extra, I'd rather we wait them out and make damn sure we get a good top six out of it. In two/three years when the team may be ready to compete but needs a little scoring and still has a surplus I would move then.

I really like Tyler Myers. But he's yet to become the player that carries the team for long stretches. Do you build a core of players around him, or is he simply a good #3. Somehow this team has to add 70 goals a year to be competitive. I don't think Murray will be afraid to move Myers if he can improve the team by adding 30 goals in aggregate with a younger or similarly aged player.

It would be good, if it could be developed. This season we iced 4 teenagers for a while. It was never going to work well. I want a team where the locker-room has a maturity to it (as much a sports locker room can) and where the kids are put in positions to succeed, not asked to step their game up a level before they have laced their skates up for the first time

There's a reason they call Ekblad the "Man-child" . I think he can step right in.

I think the inverse Edmonton comparison is very apt. If we draft Ekblad without an accompanying deal to bring in a 1st line forward (and I mean 1st line, not top-6),I think that's a franchise crippling mistake.

I really like Tyler Myers. But he's yet to become the player that carries the team for long stretches. Do you build a core of players around him, or is he simply a good #3. Somehow this team has to add 70 goals a year to be competitive. I don't think Murray will be afraid to move Myers if he can improve the team by adding 30 goals in aggregate with a younger or similarly aged player.

Keeping Myers doesn't mean we have to build around him. Just like you don't build around a guy like Skinner.

I think the inverse Edmonton comparison is very apt. If we draft Ekblad without an accompanying deal to bring in a 1st line forward (and I mean 1st line, not top-6),I think that's a franchise crippling mistake.

Agreed but what if you could draft Ekblad and Sam?

Keeping Myers doesn't mean we have to build around him. Just like you don't build around a guy like Skinner.

I'd be very happy to have Skinner. He's 22, can slide to center when needed. He really is underrated for how strong he is with the puck, almost in the same way Briere was underrated for his strength. He's not just a shot anymore. He'll continue to get stronger. I think he'd be a mainstay on a top line for years.

Agreed but what if you could draft Ekblad and Sam?

Honestly? I don't know. I'd probably lean towards doing it, but I'll forever be tantalized by Myers' ceiling. In the realm of reality, however, I think Myers is trending more towards great 2nd pair Dman than Norris contender.

I'd be very happy to have Skinner. He's 22, can slide to center when needed. He really is underrated for how strong he is with the puck, almost in the same way Briere was underrated for his strength. He's not just a shot anymore. He'll continue to get stronger. I think he'd be a mainstay on a top line for years.

Sure, but if he's your best forward you're not really any better off than if Myers is your best defenseman. I think that's the point Tank was making.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I'd be curious to see him compete in a dive off against Boston. That is one part of Skinner's game that I absolutely hate. I'll admit to not seeing any of him this year, so it is possible that he may have outgrown that a bit.

Not a chance in hell.

I'd do Myers or Ehrhoff #39 for Eberle and #3. I wouldn't add in all that other crap and I wouldn't add in Ullmark.

I see Myers for Eberle as fair value, so I don't know how you get 39 to 3 without other crap.

I thought Ullmark would be a sticking point.

I wonder how many people already consider him virtually untouchable.

Edited by dudacek

I really like Skinner. Just not sure we should move the only young and NHL-capable dman we have right now. Myers really improved this year. He might finally be turning the corner.

I see Myers for Eberle as fair value, so I don't know how you get 39 to 3 without other crap.

I wonder how any people already consider him virtually untouchable.

I place a high value on goalie prospects, but I've never seen the kid play.

I wonder how any people already consider him virtually untouchable.

I'd toss Foligno in if that what it would take but I just can't pull that Ullmark trigger.

Honestly? I don't know. I'd probably lean towards doing it, but I'll forever be tantalized by Myers' ceiling. In the realm of reality, however, I think Myers is trending more towards great 2nd pair Dman than Norris contender.

Sure, but if he's your best forward you're not really any better off than if Myers is your best defenseman. I think that's the point Tank was making.

I'd put it this way. I'd trade a second pairing D-man in Myers for a top 3 forward in Skinner, assuming I could upgrade Myers too.

Ekblad in. Skinner in. Myers out.

I wouldn't want this in a vacuum, of course, but Murray still has plenty of ammo left to address the center ice position.

Edited by X. Benedict

He'll get his 9 in October to show what he can do. Nikita's style, however, doesn't help him. He's not Going to go 2g-3a-5pts, +7 in 9 games to force his place in the lineup.

He definitely gets his 9 in October.

I don't expect his style to hinder him at all regarding the decision to keep him or send him back. If he looks comfortable and makes good decisions he might stay; if not, he's definitely going back.

My guess at this point is that he looks solid but not great and gets spared being a part of what almost certainly will be a hound's breakfast of a team.

Just because it doesn't please you. They may want to keep him away from so much losing and failure for another year. Don't want him to learn to lose. Especially with the kind of attitude he has. Don't want to kill that.

It didn't seem to ruin Girgensons.

My guess at this point is that he looks solid but not great and gets spared being a part of what almost certainly will be a hound's breakfast of a team.

Y'know, "hound's breakfast" is a great turn of phrase that doesn't get used enough,

especially now that the Sabres fit it so well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.