The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Heat! Heat! Heat! I hate it. Makes a run difficult, and at times dangerous. Usually run 5 or 6 miles no prob. Yesterday, stupidly ran mid-day w/ the heat index at 104. Struggled to do 4 and felt like I was going to pass out. When I finished my shirt was soaked in sweat. Looked as if I fell in a pool. It's the time of year, depending where you live, where you either run before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. 

Got up to 98 here in Fort Worth today.  ended up cutting my second ride of the day short.... only got 56.5 miles on the bicycles today.

The long ride was on the 50-year-old, 50-lb. bike.

13423789_1006199206095636_68948685139570

13417506_1006228172759406_43878707429373

13406816_1006228192759404_76296794307598

Maybe I should put this in the Eating and Drinking thread.... lunch was a Kolache Burger and and Iced Mocha

13434755_1006221889426701_25315543237428

Got up to 98 here in Fort Worth today.  ended up cutting my second ride of the day short.... only got 56.5 miles on the bicycles today.

The long ride was on the 50-year-old, 50-lb. bike.

Downtown fountain

13432147_1006251556090401_20154625513544

My friends got the big tanks in for their brewery. They'll be producing large batches starting next month.

13445290_1006273799421510_85475617718075

The shorter ride was on my 33-year-old racer. I planned a longer ride, but a bubble developed in the tire and I felt fortunate just to make it home.

The only pic of the second ride is the tire failure.  It is pretty obvious live, maybe not as much in the picture, but the cords on the inside of the tire were no longer encased in the rubber. There were two areas like that where the tire went all squiggly. And that's why I had to cut the second ride short.

13406786_1006527242729499_68301304593705

Edited by Robin Egg

Any of you locals doing The Ride for Roswell this Saturday? I've been so into biking recently, and it's a cause close to heart (as I'm sure nearly everyone here can say) so I signed up for the early 20 mile ride. Saturday looks HOT, but should be a great time. Just today I acquired a second water bottle rack to add onto my bike. My ride starts at 8:00am, so I'm hoping to beat some of the heat.

Then I'll be heading downtown to catch some of the draft afterwards. Not there so much to see the picks or anything, just take in the atmosphere since I've never been to a draft. 

Then, at night I'll be loading everything I own onto a trailer as we move out of our apartment in Buffalo. Gotta move everything from Buffalo to Rochester, then Rochester to Columbus a few weeks later. I will absolutely break a sweat doing that!!

Spent today at the Baseball Hall of Fame doing the Museum thing. And then we hit the batting cages and the pitch radar, so that I could throw out my arm. I did manage to do everything i came there for. I was determined to set the record fast pitch for my age group for the week, which I did!! 74mph, baby. I'm a regular fire baller! (Also managed to, yep, you guessed it, I threw my arm out...)

The big news of the day was my kid throwing 50mph for the first time today. Took him 15 balls, with ball after ball registering 49, 48, 49, 47, but that 15th pitch lit up the gun, 50MPH! Boom!!! I told 'em, "you're halfway to 100, kid. almost there!" He was all jacked up!  Oh, and we shelled that batting cage!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I set a personal one-day best on the bike yesterday (I'd have to look back through my records to see, but it's definitely up there).  I did two rides, a morning ride for 51 miles, and and early evening ride of 31 miles, for a total of 82 miles.  I planned to ride a bit more in the evening, but my butt was too sore and I was probably a bit dehydrated.  The high yesterday was 98.

The first ride started out with Mayor Betsy Price who sponsors a Tour de Fort Worth ride series.  That's Mayor Betsy in the yellow helmet behind me.

13567316_1014501648598725_36648049233888

Dude, you are a machine!

Forgot to update this last week, but I finally picked up my bike and took it out for a spin last Saturday!  I found an adult bike riding class (you can laugh; everyone else has) that was super helpful in regaining my balance, learning how/when to shift gears, and getting comfortable around other riders and minor obstacles.  Still working on making smaller turns (I get wobbly if I'm not looking pretty close to straight ahead), but I'm sure that will come with more practice.  After the class I went with a friend to a wide and (mostly) flat trail along a canyon creek, and we rode about 10 miles.  My butt really hurt (I think the saddle might be too narrow for my sit bones), but it felt awesome to get out and I can't wait to go again (hopefully Monday).  :)

I won't laugh.  I wish more people would take that class.  The balance would come back quickly, but if you haven't ridden in a long time (or indeed, as an adult), a lot of that stuff needs to be learned.  Shifting gears is something a lot of people struggle with when they first come back to cycling, and knowing how to negotiate obstacles (and how/when to alert pedestrians you're passing) are things that a lot of people don't even think about.

Saddles are a sensitive subject; what works for one person doesn't work for another.  But before giving up on that saddle, you may play around with the saddle position (height, forward/back, and tilt angle) to see if you can improve things.  If you want to see what you can do, you can start here.  Register and ask your specific questions.

I won't laugh.  I wish more people would take that class.  The balance would come back quickly, but if you haven't ridden in a long time (or indeed, as an adult), a lot of that stuff needs to be learned.  Shifting gears is something a lot of people struggle with when they first come back to cycling, and knowing how to negotiate obstacles (and how/when to alert pedestrians you're passing) are things that a lot of people don't even think about.

Saddles are a sensitive subject; what works for one person doesn't work for another.  But before giving up on that saddle, you may play around with the saddle position (height, forward/back, and tilt angle) to see if you can improve things.  If you want to see what you can do, you can start here.  Register and ask your specific questions.

Great forum. I just read three threads and found out 30 things I've been doing wrong.

Great forum. I just read three threads and found out 30 things I've been doing wrong.

Bikeforums.net is an amazing place. When I joined 8 years ago, I was member no. 140,xxx, and a lot of those people are active. Amazing wealth of info there.

Will check it out -- thanks! I'd seen the suggestion a couple places about sitting on a bag of flour to measure the distance in sit bones, but haven't checked vs my current bike saddle yet. I figure I was bound to be sore after not riding in ages and then spending a good 3 hours on the bike, so tomorrow I'll try adjusting a bit if it's still uncomfortable.

Played my last soccer game (of Spring Season) last night.  Woke up this morning and have evidently done "something" to my knee.  Considering seeking medical advice.  I"m too old for this nonsense, and yet I'm having more fun with it than I have in years.

Hopefully I can straighten it out in time for fall...

Im trying to work in "sitting on a bag of flour" without getting a ban.

:P

Only about 13 miles for me today since my legs were already tired from hiking a bunch at Rocky Mtn National Park yesterday. So pretty, though.

post-1683-0-65535400-1467660925_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-06292600-1467661036_thumb.jpg

Edited by biodork

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.