Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

All I'm gonna say about Ruhwedel at this point is it's really easy to look impressive when there are literally zero expectations.

True, but not as easy to play 15 min a night on an awful team as a rookie and still come out looking pretty solid. He wasn't a real difference maker but after watching the squad cough up puck after puck in our own zone all season, it was a breath of fresh air having someone who was able to consistently execute a breakout.

True, but not as easy to play 15 min a night on an awful team as a rookie and still come out looking pretty solid. He wasn't a real difference maker but after watching the squad cough up puck after puck in our own zone all season, it was a breath of fresh air having someone who was able to consistently execute a breakout.

IMO this is the key point...he wasn't necessarily impressive because he was impressive, it was simply a function of how terrible the rest of the team was.

Brian Duff@duffersabres 1m

Thanks for the passionate responses today #Sabres fans. Still a lot of dominos to fall around the league. BIG week ahead!

There were lots of dominos before the draft, there were lots of dominos during the draft (unprecedented availability of players and talks), there are still lots of dominos. I think these dominos might stay where they are.

The NHL needs to do something about FA, every year it becomes worse. The only team that actively releases its star players into it are the Sabres

There were lots of dominos before the draft, there were lots of dominos during the draft (unprecedented availability of players and talks), there are still lots of dominos. I think these dominos might stay where they are.

The NHL needs to do something about FA, every year it becomes worse. The only team that actively releases its star players into it are the Sabres

I thought Lecavalier wore B&W, not B&G.

Brian Duff@duffersabres 1m

Thanks for the passionate responses today #Sabres fans. Still a lot of dominos to fall around the league. BIG week ahead!

Translation, Sabres to their fans: "Baby, don't walk out on me! I know I've made some mistakes in the past, but I'm gonna change! Just give me one more chance. It'll be different. I swear!"

Put the shoe on the other foot. With such a small sample size, why do you feel so strongly that he will make the team?

My opinion is that he'll compete for a spot in camp, based solely on his play in the regular season. In comparison, Pysyk for example, did not look half as comfortable as Chad. Chad was loose, no nerves, & made smart, safe, NHL plays. But that's my opinion-- I'm not going out of my way to "correct" people who feel otherwise as if it's written in stone that Ruhwedel will never play another NHL game. I'm just curious what about him turns you off so much that you're willing to label him as a scrub 7 games into his professional career, because even if it is only 7 games, all I saw were good things.

Translation, Sabres to their fans: "Baby, don't walk out on me! I know I've made some mistakes in the past, but I'm gonna change! Just give me one more chance. It'll be different. I swear!"

Show me... Not bad on the two big D, but the Sabres needed skill with nasty up front in the center position and for all the draft talk, the Sabres left empty handed once again. Love the two D guys, but without the high end C in the middle gotta think this draft is a failure and if I am Miller and Vanek, I ask to be bought out. Can either hold out for part of the season? Playing on this team would be detrimental to their well being of signing a new contract?

Edited by North Buffalo

Been out all day, decided to just check in and see what was going on. I'm a little shocked we didn't make any significant trades. I can't say I'm too pleased with this draft, not too happy with Darcy right now, but then again who really is.

Terry Pegula. Still can't think of anything Darcy Regier has ever done wrong. The guy just has a flawless track record.

Been out all day, decided to just check in and see what was going on. I'm a little shocked we didn't make any significant trades. I can't say I'm too pleased with this draft, not too happy with Darcy right now, but then again who really is.

You don't consider trading away the 2nd best D-man for a 2nd rounder to be significant?

Well maybe mcbain will surprise us but i doubt it.

And if the plan is to tank, moven some more D-men and make room for zadarov - risto to both play.

Zero chance Zadorov plays this season. MAYBE a couple games at the end of the season. But he's a very raw product who will take at least one year two develop, maybe two.

I don't think McBain will be in the NHL next year.

Think Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, Pysyk, Ristolainen and Ruhwedel/McNabb as the top six. Also a decent chance that we deal one of these guys and/or McBain as we look for forwards. Have to think Vanek and or Miller will be dealt for young, NHL-ready forwards. Thought Nino would be perfect for that but he's off to Minny.

Edited by DStebb

It's like trick-or-treating in the ghetto and trading away your 2nd best piece of candy at the end of the night. A dumb-dumb pop only fetches so much.......

But you can usually find some schmuck that'll give you something for a Clark Bar ...

You don't consider trading away the 2nd best D-man for a 2nd rounder to be significant?

Admittedly I only know what I read in the past few minutes.... so I don't know the exact deals of the trade other than McBain and sekera got swapped. Is sekera our 2nd best d man? And I don't know much about McBain. I guess I was just hoping for at least one of the two "big" players traded. I guess there's still time for that, but I'm glad I went out with the family today instead of watching the draft, great fireworks tonight

Admittedly I only know what I read in the past few minutes.... so I don't know the exact deals of the trade other than McBain and sekera got swapped. Is sekera our 2nd best d man? And I don't know much about McBain. I guess I was just hoping for at least one of the two "big" players traded. I guess there's still time for that, but I'm glad I went out with the family today instead of watching the draft, great fireworks tonight

Nuuut anymuuuiiir.

DR says they where in need of a right handed D-man. Picked up college guys because they could extend their development time. Picked up more local players because they could use facilities, be closer to their development.

Dammit he's making sense!

Devine:

Wanted Compher, not sure if he'd be there at #38, traded and was able to get him and Hurley.

No takers to get late first round pick

Would have taken #8 and # 38 to move up but players they wanted fell anyway.

Note: Every single player the Sabres took was mentioned by Devine a few weeks ago on GR.

Their top D-men were Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadorov. He thinks Bailey needs more muscle.

I hope the angst I'm reading on this thread is about the trades and/or the lack thereof.

Because the draft went well.

We leave the draft with two of the four best defencemen — 6'4, 220-pound twin towers, who can skate move the puck and like to hit.

These are the types of players most of the board wanted us to draft and they both were generally considered worthy of top 10 picks.

Compher will be the relentless type of second or third liner Sabre fans will love.

Bailey and Hurley are boom or bust types; Bailey has a power forward body and attitude, just hasn't had the results yet; Hurley could be another second-line two-way player who dominated his league, but hasn't played against high-level competition yet.

They are the types of players you can and should take a chance on with second-round picks.

Our prospect list took a serious jump today, and that is what the draft is for.

I don't like losing Sekera, I desperately wanted Lindholm. And I was hoping for the blockbuster trades.

But I am not going to lose sight of the fact we took some very good hockey players.

Edited by dudacek

I hope the angst I'm reading on this thread is about the trades and/or the lack thereof.

Because the draft went well.

We leave the draft with two of the four best defencemen — 6'4, 220-pound twin towers, who can skate move the puck and like to hit.

These are the types of players most of the board wanted us to draft and they both were generally considered worthy of top 10 picks.

Compher will be the relentless type of second or third liner Sabre fans will love.

Bailey and Hurley are boom or bust types; Bailey has a power forward body and attitude, just hasn't had the results yet; Hurley could be another second-line two-way player who dominated his league, but has played against high-level competition yet.

They are the types of players you can and should take a chance on with second-round picks.

Our prospect list took a serious jump today, and that is what the draft is for.

I don't like losing Sekera, I desperately wanted Lindholm. And I was hoping for the blockbuster trades.

But I am not going to lose sight of the fact we took some very good hockey players.

Nice counterpoint to the doom & gloom we've been hearing all day.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.