Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

$6 mil for Crawford. Eek. Lundqvist has to be asking for 8, right?

I like the circularity of the argument (not mine, mind you) that Chicago's own past success is proof that Chicago is now doing it wrong when it comes to team make-up (i.e., Chicago won 2 cups with a whatever-works-seat-of-their-pants approach to goalie and were frequently lauded around these parts for having done so).

Then again, maybe the anticipated swelling of the cup renders a $6M goalies NBD.

I like the circularity of the argument (not mine, mind you) that Chicago's own past success is proof that Chicago is now doing it wrong when it comes to team make-up (i.e., Chicago won 2 cups with a whatever-works-seat-of-their-pants approach to goalie and were frequently lauded around these parts for having done so).

Then again, maybe the anticipated swelling of the cup renders a $6M goalies NBD.

My guess would be on the bold, at least from Chicago's perspective. Surely they like Crawford going forward (not sure I agree, but I digress) and expect $6 million to be the new $4 million in the very near future.

I read this somewhere but the more I think about it, the better I like it.

How about a trade...Stepan for Hodgson? Stepan wants $4.7 million on a 6 year deal. That's not too bad for a kid of his talent level, plus he's only 23. Meanwhile Darcy is having a hell of a time with agent Winter in signing Hodgson and will continue to have a tough time as long as Hodgson keeps him as his agent.

I didn't know where else to put this, so I figured this thread was as good as any.

Blackhawks GM: Kane and Toews will be here "no matter what"

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9641368/gm-patrick-kane-jonathan-toews-chicago-blackhawks-forever

"I can't predict what the salary cap will be in the near future, but I can tell you that Jonathan and Patrick will be on this team," Bowman told the team's website. "Those two players put the Blackhawks back on the map. They're up in a couple years, and whatever the numbers are, we'll figure out the details. The notion that the money we're spending now will affect our ability to keep Jonathan and Kane ... it's a non-issue. They will be here no matter what."

I would love to see the day when a Buffalo GM is able to say this in regards to two players. Hopefully it's not too far off.

Blackhawks GM: Kane and Toews will be here "no matter what"

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9641368/gm-patrick-kane-jonathan-toews-chicago-blackhawks-forever

"I can't predict what the salary cap will be in the near future, but I can tell you that Jonathan and Patrick will be on this team," Bowman told the team's website. "Those two players put the Blackhawks back on the map."

Surprised that he hasn't heard of Hull and Mikita.

Surprised that he hasn't heard of Hull and Mikita.

Oh, I am sure he has.

Those guys were giants in the 1960's before Hull ran off to Winnipeg. Mikita continued to produce, but it wasn't the same one-two punch. They won their only cup together in 1961.

I think Bowman was referencing Kane and Toews cause they were a huge part of the teams that brought the cup back to Chicago for the first time in 49 years. Twice in Four years. Hence, "back on the map."

Compare that to the quiet days before those two came along During which the Hawks only made the playoffs once from 1998-2008.

Oh, I am sure he has.

Those guys were giants in the 1960's before Hull ran off to Winnipeg. Mikita continued to produce, but it wasn't the same one-two punch. They won their only cup together in 1961.

I think Bowman was referencing Kane and Toews cause they were a huge part of the teams that brought the cup back to Chicago for the first time in 49 years. Twice in Four years. Hence, "back on the map."

Compare that to the quiet days before those two came along During which the Hawks only made the playoffs once from 1998-2008.

I know. I'm just saying, it was 23 years until Hull and Mikita put the Hawks 'back on the map' in 1961.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.