2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

NOw before you all freak out I am simply asking if the Sabres ended up selecting 1st in this yers draft (which is possible) who do you think they should select? Our defense has been horrible so we could take Jones. He has a lot skills and would def help our d line. He is also a big body. Or we can take MacKinnon who could be a top 6 forward for us almost immediately and projects to be talked about with guys like Corsby, Stamkos, Tavares. So do you go defense or offense?

Me personally I take MacKinnon simply because we lack so much up front and this kid could be great on a line with Grigorenko. From what I have read he plays mostly RW and depending on what you think of Stafford/Pommers/Armia we could easily use him. Bottom line I would not pass on so much offensive talent. His intangibles are less known to me but if anyone has read about those plese chime in.

SO whats it going to be?

Nathan MacKinnon

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=143744

Seth Jones

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=130914

Central Scouting Ranks: North American Players

http://www.nhl.com/i...spectbrowse.htm

At the rate they are going, I couldn't agree more, any of the bottom feeders need a goalie, besides the Sabres being a bottom feeder. Is there enough depth out there to get two top 5 picks? If the Sabres are going to redo their roster, my idea is go big.... But that would also mean getting rid of Darcy....

i have no faith we draft 1st no matter where we finish in the standings

Well, considering that the 30th-placed team now only has a 25% (roughly) chance of keeping the first overall pick, nobody should have faith that any team drafts first regardless of where they finish. They got rid of the "only can move up four spots" rule, which used to mean that the 30th-placed team would still get the #1 pick if 19-25th placed teams won the lottery, giving them roughly a 50% chance of keeping it.

Was not familair with Drouin but have read some on him and a LW with his potential would be really nice to have on this team. Anyone have more to say on him? If we drafted 2nd and MacKinnon was gone I would take him over Jones but thats just because we lack offensive talent on this team.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=148882

At the rate they are going, I couldn't agree more, any of the bottom feeders need a goalie, besides the Sabres being a bottom feeder. Is there enough depth out there to get two top 5 picks? If the Sabres are going to redo their roster, my idea is go big.... But that would also mean getting rid of Darcy....

Didn't philly send a pick to columbus? Maybe I am remembering that wrong but if thats right we could try and get that pick from columbus and hope philly tanks. THe trick is to get a 1st thats already been traded to a team playing for a cup. They are likely to move it and it could turn out great.

You take Nathan Mackinnon and it's not even close.

As for trading for another first, bad idea. If your going to move real talent out, as others have pointed out, real talent needs to be coming back.

Vanek, Pominville and Miller most likely aren't going anywhere, so I would look to Stafford and some of the defensemen getting moved. Just my opinion though on the current roster.

You take Nathan Mackinnon and it's not even close.

As for trading for another first, bad idea. If your going to move real talent out, as others have pointed out, real talent needs to be coming back.

Vanek, Pominville and Miller most likely aren't going anywhere, so I would look to Stafford and some of the defensemen getting moved. Just my opinion though on the current roster.

That depends on what you are doing. If you are in full rebuild it changes things. I don't want to see that but it remains an option. If they were to do it this would be the year considering the "depth" of the class. Of course the true depth wont be known for about a decade.

That depends on what you are doing. If you are in full rebuild it changes things. I don't want to see that but it remains an option. If they were to do it this would be the year considering the "depth" of the class. Of course the true depth wont be known for about a decade.

You pointed out the very reason why it's not going to happen. They aren't going to go into another 5 year funk, and although it's tempting to go after those tangibles that are not proven, taking the risk or proverbial jump off the cliff on a hope and prayer type scenario, that's just not smart no matter how your opinion sways.

It would be logical to keep those 3 for marketing reasons along with a slew of other reasons. As I said, some movements will be made, but your more likely to see Stafford and some D men moved as opposed to M-V-P.

Would people trade Stafford for a first (20-30)?

Without hesitation.

Nashville would probably do that. They're trying to win this year and they were dead last in Goals Scored/Game last I checked. I'd probably ask for more since a late first round pick isn't all that special in the NHL draft.

I have watched both Drouin and MacKinnon for 2 years now.

Both play centre and wing. MacKinnon is a natural centre, but Drouin is a natural winger.

MacKinnon is very similar to Crosby, both in character and skill. They both grew up in the same neighbourhood in Halifax.

Now Drouin is just special. An extremely gifted goal scorer and pure magic with the puck, so he is also an assist machine.

An extremely difficult choice, but assuming that I am the Sabres GM and have the pick where it needs to be, I take ... Drouin. I would not be surprised at all if he goes first overall.

=====

I know Chz was not serious about a goalie and I would not take him with my first pick, but I would use a late first round / early second round pick on Zach Fucale.

Yes, the Buffalo Mooseheads.

You pointed out the very reason why it's not going to happen. They aren't going to go into another 5 year funk, and although it's tempting to go after those tangibles that are not proven, taking the risk or proverbial jump off the cliff on a hope and prayer type scenario, that's just not smart no matter how your opinion sways.

It would be logical to keep those 3 for marketing reasons along with a slew of other reasons. As I said, some movements will be made, but your more likely to see Stafford and some D men moved as opposed to M-V-P.

so instead we remain mediocre for the next decade. Or does anyone believe regier has the ability to go out and get top end talent via trades or UFA?

If you are rebuilding it makes perfect sense to sell vets for picks and prospects. That is the way to rebuild. Edmonton has sucked for a 4years now, over the next 2-4yrs though they will get better and better and better. We are not gettin better. We are staying mediocre.

Nashville would probably do that. They're trying to win this year and they were dead last in Goals Scored/Game last I checked. I'd probably ask for more since a late first round pick isn't all that special in the NHL draft.

Don't have to use the pick, can use it in a package for another player or to move up in the draft, or whatever. Might be able to squeeze a middling prospect from a desperate team in addition to the first, but I doubt we'd get anything to get too excited about.

Regier is not going to be in charge of this rebuild. There is no chance he returns after this season. Unless they pull off some sort of miracle push to make the playoffs he is done. TP could care less about the extension. The money he would owe DR is chump change. If he was worried about the money he would not have extended him. That was just an expensive vote of confidence. He would be the laughing stock of major sports if he did not fire him.

In my opinion, its all about the 2015 draft. We need to have a strategy for being the worst team with the most lottery balls for that draft. Building around Connor McDavid is the way to go like the Penguins and Crosby. He's the next generational talent and we need that. So, if we can gut the team and be super crappy for the next 3 years, I could handle that. No guarantees but...lets take a shot. We also need to find another bonafide No. 1 goalie prospect. Ullmark, Makarov, et al...I dont feel it. I'll hang up and listen.

In my opinion, its all about the 2015 draft. We need to have a strategy for being the worst team with the most lottery balls for that draft. Building around Connor McDavid is the way to go like the Penguins and Crosby. He's the next generational talent and we need that. So, if we can gut the team and be super crappy for the next 3 years, I could handle that. No guarantees but...lets take a shot. We also need to find another bonafide No. 1 goalie prospect. Ullmark, Makarov, et al...I dont feel it. I'll hang up and listen.

Yeah, I'm really not ready to tank both of the next two seasons after this one.

Yeah, I'm really not ready to tank both of the next two seasons after this one.

Ahyup. Especially because that would likely mean the Pegula regime would never be able to shake the reputation of utter failure. This team needs to get better and fast or Terry is going to leave this town more demonized than Golisano ever was.

Ahyup. Especially because that would likely mean the Pegula regime would never be able to shake the reputation of utter failure. This team needs to get better and fast or Terry is going to leave this town more demonized than Golisano ever was.

Demonizing Pegula is just silly. He's learning on the job. Basically he found out the hard way that being a successful owner isn't about throwing around money and having positive thoughts. It means making tough decisions that you may not feel good about, like firing people you admire who may be your friends. In retrospect, how unrealistic was it (on both his part and our parts) to expect him to show up and instantly be the best owner in sports? There's no reason he can't still be a great owner; he just has to learn how to do it.

Also, three years is a lifetime in pro sports. It's worth pointing out again: The Blackhawks drafted first overall in 2007 and won the Stanley Cup in 2010. It really doesn't take that long for a franchise to turn around if you're smart about it.

Demonizing Pegula is just silly. He's learning on the job. Basically he found out the hard way that being a successful owner isn't about throwing around money and having positive thoughts. It means making tough decisions that you may not feel good about, like firing people you admire who may be your friends. In retrospect, how unrealistic was it (on both his part and our parts) to expect him to show up and instantly be the best owner in sports? There's no reason he can't still be a great owner; he just has to learn how to do it.

Also, three years is a lifetime in pro sports. It's worth pointing out again: The Blackhawks drafted first overall in 2007 and won the Stanley Cup in 2010. It really doesn't take that long for a franchise to turn around if you're smart about it.

' If you're smart about it '

And there lies the problem with this team. So far T.P.s decisions aren't looking too smart.

Archived