The other sports thread

Eleven

Haven't payed attention to baseball closely in years but watching a few early games like I usually do.

Came across something I didn't recognize and couldn't remember hearing anything about honestly....

The Cleveland Guardians

Strange days we live in.

40 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Haven't payed attention to baseball closely in years but watching a few early games like I usually do.

Came across something I didn't recognize and couldn't remember hearing anything about honestly....

The Cleveland Guardians

Strange days we live in.

This is their first season under the new name.  I was hoping for Spiders.

• 2 weeks later...

One more fight on what has been, the absolute worst UFC card in history. Let's see if Justin Gaethje can make this exciting. 

Oh, and Canelo just lost to Bivol in Vegas. Hey Canelo, you're 5'9" and  you weigh 168 pounds! Stop trying to fight light-heavyweights!

16 minutes ago, ubkev said:

One more fight on what has been, the absolute worst UFC card in history. Let's see if Justin Gaethje can make this exciting. 

Oh, and Canelo just lost to Bivol in Vegas. Hey Canelo, you're 5'9" and  you weigh 168 pounds! Stop trying to fight light-heavyweights!

Justin Gaethje indeed made it exciting, by getting choked the ***** out in the first round.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here big Fans of Formula 1?

The Monaco Grand Prix is this weekend, which is the headline event of the entire F1 season.  The "Indy 500" or "Daytona" of F1.  Yet, the race seems to be incredibly boring. There have only been a handfull of passes on the track in the last decade or so. Its pretty much you are where you are after the first lap...don't mess up your pit stop, and finish the race.

It seems like 50% of the fans I talk to say the race should be replaced with a different track someplace else because the on-track action at Monaco might be the worse in all top-tier professional racing around the world.  Others say it is such a traditional even with heritage in the sport it can't be touched no matter what?

I'm not sure if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but if so I was wondering what some of us around here think.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Anyone here big Fans of Formula 1?

The Monaco Grand Prix is this weekend, which is the headline event of the entire F1 season.  The "Indy 500" or "Daytona" of F1.  Yet, the race seems to be incredibly boring. There have only been a handfull of passes on the track in the last decade or so. Its pretty much you are where you are after the first lap...don't mess up your pit stop, and finish the race.

It seems like 50% of the fans I talk to say the race should be replaced with a different track someplace else because the on-track action at Monaco might be the worse in all top-tier professional racing around the world.  Others say it is such a traditional even with heritage in the sport it can't be touched no matter what?

I'm not sure if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but if so I was wondering what some of us around here think.

Thanks for the reminder this is Monaco weekend.  Agree w/ you that the race doesn't come anywhere close to the hype.  But just don't see them taking it off the schedule.  There doesn't seem to be anything they can do to fix it as the course is so tight, but if they threw enough $$$ at it, expect they could improve it.

I just find Monaco so boring, I wish they would do something.  F1 is not without gimicks anymore (Tighter rules than in the past, DRS, etc), so why not do something to try to make Monaco better?  Require teams to run at least 10 laps on a super hard time...DRS open all the time for cars behind another one. Someone has to have some unique idea.

Here is just how bad Monaco can be....The last time there was a single pass on track for the lead (not while in the pits) was 26 years ago, and that was when the leader was stuck out on Wet tires when the track had dried out after rain and the 2nd place car had on drys.  26 years, and that was the only time.  Last years race had 1 pass on track..for the entire race among all the competitors.  78 laps. 22 cars.  1 single pass on track and it was on the very first lap.

I guess if the race is awful and they keep it because some people like the setting and the party atmosphere, fine, those of us who like racing have the other 20+ events to watch the rest of the year.  But can you imagine an Indy race or a Nascar race with only 1 pass on track for the entire race? the Fans would go crazy and demand changes the next day.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, mjd1001 said:

I just find Monaco so boring, I wish they would do something.  F1 is not without gimicks anymore (Tighter rules than in the past, DRS, etc), so why not do something to try to make Monaco better?  Require teams to run at least 10 laps on a super hard time...DRS open all the time for cars behind another one. Someone has to have some unique idea.

Here is just how bad Monaco can be....The last time there was a single pass on track for the lead (not while in the pits) was 26 years ago, and that was when the leader was stuck out on Wet tires when the track had dried out after rain and the 2nd place car had on drys.  26 years, and that was the only time.  Last years race had 1 pass on track..for the entire race among all the competitors.  78 laps. 22 cars.  1 single pass on track and it was on the very first lap.

I guess if the race is awful and they keep it because some people like the setting and the party atmosphere, fine, those of us who like racing have the other 20+ events to watch the rest of the year.  But can you imagine an Indy race or a Nascar race with only 1 pass on track for the entire race? the Fans would go crazy and demand changes the next day.

I don’t watch F1.  This makes me feel validated.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

Dammit, I thought we talked about keeping this thread to SPORTS!

Zing!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

So, what's up with the PGA and this other stupid tour?

Anything the Saudi's touch turns to ... oh, never mind !!

Is golf a sport @Eleven ??

I suppose I must admit it.

Doesn't mean I have to care about it, though.

13 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That makes two of us.  I just like to go off on the damn Saudi's whenever I can.

They're doing a good job of investing and diversifying all over the place in preparation for the oil money running dry.

But come on, human rights. How can these golfers sleep at night by tacitly condoning Saudi actions by accepting their money?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

But come on, human rights. How can these golfers sleep at night by tacitly condoning Saudi actions by accepting their money?

Well, because they're protesting the evil PGA!  Didn't you read Mickelson's statement?

(In all fairness to FIGJAM, both the US and Canada enable SA in so many ways that are innumerable and unconscionable.)

• Thanks (+1) 1