The other sports thread

Eleven

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Or Clemens.  Maybe they shouldn't have doped.  Maybe they shouldn't have been jerks to everybody.  But they did and they were, and both of those things are factors.

Ortiz was also roided up. 

Sports writers are nerds who were stuffed into lockers who wield their power like petty *****. T.O. didn't get into the football Hall of Fame on the first ballot because the writers didn't like him... they're ***** dweebs.

Bottom line is that Bud Selig is in the hall of fame on the backs of a league that was juiced out of their minds. He knew and didn't care in the least. "Get me some ratings Big Mac and Sammy! Keep hitting balls to other planets, Barry!" Chicks dig the long ball was a marketing campaign. 

The fact that Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza and David Ortiz are all in the Hall while the MLB career leaders in Hits, the MLB career leader in HR and the American League all time K's leader aren't is completely ridiculous.

Oh, and Bonds and Clemens never actually tested positive for banned substances.

PS: The Hall is still my favorite museum.

9 hours ago, ubkev said:

Bottom line is that Bud Selig is in the hall of fame on the backs of a league that was juiced out of their minds. He knew and didn't care in the least. "Get me some ratings Big Mac and Sammy! Keep hitting balls to other planets, Barry!" Chicks dig the long ball was a marketing campaign. 

The fact that Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza and David Ortiz are all in the Hall while the MLB career leaders in Hits, the MLB career leader in HR and the American League all time K's leader aren't is completely ridiculous.

Oh, and Bonds and Clemens never actually tested positive for banned substances.

PS: The Hall is still my favorite museum.

Dude, Piazza is not in the same category as any of those others, as far as steroid use and evidence.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is too far. I swallowed my tongue for over a decade with “Enter Sandman” becoming Mariano Rivera’s song, as absurd as that was, but this Virgina Tech Co-opting the song to start the home basketball games is just weird.  

1) Situationally the song makes no sense. Are the Hokies going to put the other team to sleep?  Do they think it intimidates the other team?

2) it’s super ***** random. Did Robert Trujillo attend VT?  What’s the tie in? 

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Ok this is too far. I swallowed my tongue for over a decade with “Enter Sandman” becoming Mariano Rivera’s song, as absurd as that was, but this Virgina Tech Co-opting the song to start the home basketball games is just weird.  

1) Situationally the song makes no sense. Are the Hokies going to put the other team to sleep?  Do they think it intimidates the other team?

2) it’s super ***** random. Did Robert Trujillo attend VT?  What’s the tie in? 

Tech's Football team has been using it as entrance music for 20 years or more.  Hetfield has gone on record saying it's cool.  Basketball should, however, get their own thing.  

https://wset.com/sports/college-sports/i-got-goosebumps-metallica-frontman-on-epic-virginia-tech-enter-sandman-entrance

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Tech's Football team has been using it as entrance music for 20 years or more.  Hetfield has gone on record saying it's cool.  Basketball should, however, get their own thing.  

https://wset.com/sports/college-sports/i-got-goosebumps-metallica-frontman-on-epic-virginia-tech-enter-sandman-entrance

Video:

#startjumping

On 1/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, Thorny said:

Other sports thread a good place for the truly otherworldly - 

ridiculous. 

FItV3DkVQAAJgUC.thumb.jpg.d6e7ef2d544abfdbfcfba63ec608f4ec.jpg

Obviously super late here, but Morant is something else.  He reminds me of early Kobe or early MJ.  A guy who can just get incredibly air and is unafraid to attack the areas around the basket, but is also physically underdeveloped, making you fear for his safety at times.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:35 PM, ubkev said:

Ortiz was also roided up. 

Sports writers are nerds who were stuffed into lockers who wield their power like petty *****. T.O. didn't get into the football Hall of Fame on the first ballot because the writers didn't like him... they're ***** dweebs.

I think that you should re-examine the evidence of that.  In my opinion, it doesn’t exist.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

So, I understand there is some debate about golf being a sport and all, but I will put this in here for safe keeping ...

My views on a certain *Kingdom* are pretty well known around here, but come on Lefty ... dude!!

We just had an American compete and win several gold medals for China in the Olympics for a bag of $$$. 

And those Olympics were in China. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ubkev said:

We just had an American compete and win several gold medals for China in the Olympics for a bag of $$$. 

And those Olympics were in China. 

Okay.

What does that have to do with Lefty shooting off his mouth about a certain *Kingdom*.

I know he was only partaking in this spectacle for the $.  Then he just shut up and take his money.  Not that I disagree with his take, but he should just shut up about it.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Okay.

What does that have to do with Lefty shooting off his mouth about a certain *Kingdom*.

I know he was only partaking in this spectacle for the $.  Then he just shut up and take his money.  Not that I disagree with his take, but he should just shut up about it.

Yeah, he probably should have just not said anything. But it's definitely all about the money. 

We are in agreement.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...