The other sports thread

Eleven

UB going to the MAC Championship! Could be first Big-4 team to go dancing in consecutive years since Canisius in the 50s...

...meanwhile, Bona is in the process of choking away a huge lead. Hi Hoss! :nana:

(I know they're still going to the tourney even with a loss)

That was a highly depressing and angering game. But it's alright. The luxury of being in a good conference is that the regular season gets it done.

Just saw Hoss on tv.

Did the camera add ten pounds or was it all the beer?

That was a highly depressing and angering game. But it's alright. The luxury of being in a good conference is that the regular season gets it done.

Did the camera add ten pounds or was it all the beer?

Nah you looked good!

Can someone tell me how NCAA basketball works? Is Bonaventure still in the tournament? Is that a big deal? I'm absolutely clueless 

Nah you looked good!

Can someone tell me how NCAA basketball works? Is Bonaventure still in the tournament? Is that a big deal? I'm absolutely clueless

Thanks! And there are 68 teams that get into the tournament. The winners of each conference get into the tournament (there's like 31 conferences or something like that). Then the rest are "at-large" teams selected based on their entire resume from this season by a committee on Selection Sunday (this Sunday at 5:30 it will be announced).

It's a huge deal for Bonas. They're the third smallest D1 school but have a good history (outside the scandal) in college basketball. After the scandal it was thought that the school was essentially dead and the basketball team would never be good again but here we are, likely getting a second tournament team in four years.

The school gets a bunch of money for making the NCAA tournament and the farther they go the more they get.

Thanks! And there are 68 teams that get into the tournament. The winners of each conference get into the tournament (there's like 31 conferences or something like that). Then the rest are "at-large" teams selected based on their entire resume from this season by a committee on Selection Sunday (this Sunday at 5:30 it will be announced).

It's a huge deal for Bonas. They're the third smallest D1 school but have a good history (outside the scandal) in college basketball. After the scandal it was thought that the school was essentially dead and the basketball team would never be good again but here we are, likely getting a second tournament team in four years.

The school gets a bunch of money for making the NCAA tournament and the farther they go the more they get.

Thanks for the info, when is their game? I'm definitely going to tune in. Ended up streaming the second half of last night's game.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Bonaventure has the second highest RPI for any team to not make the tournament. First regular-season conference champ with a top-30 RPI to miss the tournament.

Syracuse, according to one tweet so I'm not sure how accurate it is, has the lowest RPI of any team to ever make it.

I'm glad Cuse got in, but I have no idea how. Hopefully they can get some vengeance against Davidson from a couple years ago..........and then get destroyed by Michigan St. :(

UB has about no chance against Miami, but here's hoping for the upset.

I honestly can't believe Bona didn't make at least a play-in game. At least. And Syracuse being a 10 really is a sham. But, all Bona had to do was not choke away a huge lead against Davidson and they're in.

Yea, if only they had just done what Tulsa did and lost by 22 to an even worse team than Davidson in their own tournament on the same day............. *crickets*

This is all-time bad. Legitimate reporters calling it one of the biggest snubs of all time if not THE biggest. People legitimately questioning if corruption is involved because, of 59 professional "bracketologists", LITERALLY 0 had Tulsa in. 52 of the 59 had Bonas in.

The head of the committee is close with Tulsa's AD and used to work with him. He even hired him for his first job.

Yea, if only they had just done what Tulsa did and lost by 22 to an even worse team than Davidson in their own tournament on the same day............. *crickets*

This is all-time bad. Legitimate reporters calling it one of the biggest snubs of all time if not THE biggest. People legitimately questioning if corruption is involved because, of 59 professional "bracketologists", LITERALLY 0 had Tulsa in. 52 of the 59 had Bonas in.

The head of the committee is close with Tulsa's AD and used to work with him. He even hired him for his first job.

All I'm saying is Bona could have made the committee irrelevant. They didn't. Doesn't make the decision any less horrible, but the statement itself isn't untrue.

Hey, if this whole thing knocks your college hoops arrogance down a notch or two, it's not all bad :devil:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

College hoops arrogance? Give me a break. Bonaventure is the best basketball school in WNY by a long shot. It's not arrogance, it's the truth. Sorry if I'm a little excited when one of my teams doesn't suck year in and year out.

They're the only team that plays in a relevant conference. They got absolutely jobbed yesterday and EVERYBODY knows it. Still had the best season of any school in the area.

Edited by Hoss