The other sports thread

Eleven

BREAKING: Alex Rodriguez tells that he will retire after 2017 season when his contract expires.

Well, ######. Bonds is going to have the HR title then

ARod was a pretty great player, but I think Bonds was better.

I don't even know if I'm glad. Glad for tournament recognition because of the competition in the ACC, sure. But I can't say I'm glad that they're in the ACC. It just feels to me that they've lost everything. I hate UNC and Duke because I've always hated UNC and Duke, there's no rivalry there. We're never going to have 6 OTs against UConn again, or The Garden, or Pearl vs Ewing. It won't mean as much when Iverson and the Hoyas choke, and I hate that I don't get to see Georgetown three times a year.

I thought it would be cool playing Duke and UNC every year when we first left and then it happened and it felt like a non conference early season tournament game in Maui. It had no soul. That's what it feels like to me when Syracuse plays on tobacco road. Just a soulless money grabbing big business, sucking the joy right out of everything.

Speaking of sucking, it's 3:17pm and Georgetown still sucks!

Agree with your sentiments here. It's the way of the sports world now. Not just this sport. The big East was on its death bed as soon as football super conferences started to form. Basketball just can't compete economically with football.

The football version of the Big East (the AAC) is ridiculous anyway. I'd much rather be in the ACC than in a nation wide conference with SMU, Houston, and Tulane. Didn't they try to get Hawaii, San Diego state, Boise, etc?

This year's run is an unexpected bonus for the future of Syracuse basketball. They've got some young guys playing key roles under tournament pressure. I'm really excited about next year. They will lose Gbinije (sadly) and Cooney (hooray!), but bring back everyone else and be battle tested a bit. They are also adding a 7'2" center transfer from Providence and two really good looking prospects. One stolen from Ohio State's front yard here in Columbus, which is enjoyable for me personally. And they still have a spot open and will add someone else.

I'm enjoying this run knowing that they've overachieved and certainly not expecting a championship or even a final four, but you never know I guess.

Next year is the true excitement for me. Can't wait already!

I'd be surprised if Malachi returns. He's better than half the guys who declared too early. He'll just be another in a long line of SU players who should have stayed another year or two.

I'd be surprised if Malachi returns. He's better than half the guys who declared too early. He'll just be another in a long line of SU players who should have stayed another year or two.

Like Donte Greene, Jonny Flynn, never mind... Every player drafter out of SU after 2003, with the exception of Michael Carter Williams. Syracuse players do not perform in the NBA. Coleman and Anthony. That's pretty much it from recent memory.

Like Donte Greene, Jonny Flynn, never mind... Every player drafter out of SU after 2003, with the exception of Michael Carter Williams. Syracuse players do not perform in the NBA. Coleman and Anthony. That's pretty much it from recent memory.

I really think McCullough more than any other player in recent memory would have seriously benefitted from another seaosn. He would have went from late first to top 5 pick almost certainly. I guess if an agent comes to you and tells you you'll get a 5 million dollar contract it's hard to say no, even if you end up being an NBA scrub.

Crap! You might be right. I forgot that scenario. Seems like no one stays anymore if there's even a small chance of being drafted. Hopefully he'll realize that he could use another year and be part of something potentially special next year.

I think I saw somewhere that every single eligible Kentucky player is declaring for the draft. It's just absolute craziness.

Crap! You might be right. I forgot that scenario. Seems like no one stays anymore if there's even a small chance of being drafted. Hopefully he'll realize that he could use another year and be part of something potentially special next year.

I think I saw somewhere that every single eligible Kentucky player is declaring for the draft. It's just absolute craziness.

I have zero empathy for KU losing any players. They get multiple McDonald's all Americans every year. SU is lucky to get one every 5 years.

I have zero empathy for KU losing any players. They get multiple McDonald's all Americans every year. SU is lucky to get one every 5 years.

Oh I can't stand Kentucky either. No sympathy here for them or their coach. It's just that you used to have to be in the top few percent of players to declare early. Now it's almost everyone no matter how much or well they've played.

Oh I can't stand Kentucky either. No sympathy here for them or their coach. It's just that you used to have to be in the top few percent of players to declare early. Now it's almost everyone no matter how much or well they've played.

I'm wondering if the market will ever correct itself but I guess if you can go pull a couple mill after playing 30 games of college ball more power to ya. Lots of these guys must end up in pretty situations later in life.

I think JC was making a joke out of it, honestly. Kentucky will have every draft eligible player declare for the draft and not sign with any agents. They have up to 10 days after the combine to rescind their declaration and return to school. The combine is invite only, so I'm guessing none of their walk ons get invited.

Oh and KU is Kansas. Kentucky is UK and they can both rot in hell. :)

I'm wondering if the market will ever correct itself but I guess if you can go pull a couple mill after playing 30 games of college ball more power to ya. Lots of these guys must end up in pretty ###### situations later in life.

Mostly because of the pressure to live like a baller, support their families beyond their means, keep an entourage, and make poor investments/get swindled by "friends". In 2 years they make more money than I will make in my entire life.

Talking strictly basketball here…

So lots of old school Big East fans don’t like the new ACC. Guess what? A lot of old school ACC fans like the traditional ACC way more than this incantation.

So how about this idea?

Make a North and South division of the ACC.

The South has FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, UVa, UNC, WFU, NCSU, and dook

The North (old Big East) needs 1 other team to make this work + Va. Tech, L’ville, Pitt, BC, ND, SU and Miami.

Miami/UVa/Va. Tech are somewhat interchangeable, and this would be a lot easier if Maryland hadn’t jumped ship to the Big 10 (which has 14 teams).

Each division plays everyone else home and away (14 games per team). Then they play 4 teams in the other division. That’s 18 regular season conference games.

In the post-season tourney make round 1 completely cross-divisional – South #1 plays North #8, etc.

Talking strictly basketball here…So lots of old school Big East fans don’t like the new ACC. Guess what? A lot of old school ACC fans like the traditional ACC way more than this incantation.So how about this idea?Make a North and South division of the ACC.The South has FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, UVa, UNC, WFU, NCSU, and dookThe North (old Big East) needs 1 other team to make this work + Va. Tech, L’ville, Pitt, BC, ND, SU and Miami.Miami/UVa/Va. Tech are somewhat interchangeable, and this would be a lot easier if Maryland hadn’t jumped ship to the Big 10 (which has 14 teams).Each division plays everyone else home and away (14 games per team). Then they play 4 teams in the other division. That’s 18 regular season conference games.In the post-season tourney make round 1 completely cross-divisional – South #1 plays North #8, etc.

I like it. For football too. Probably makes too much sense for it to ever happen though.

It wouldn't be too difficult to fill that other spot. As I've said I'm sure UConn and Cincinnati would jump at the chance to join if wanted.

I was checking the score online, down 11 with 8 to go, I just assumed it was over, didn't even bother to turn it on. Damn

No way cause gets past UNC, Maybe ND if they pull it off.. I'm not a big UNC fan (Sis got her masters from NC state) and I have a strong dislike for all things ND. But I'd love to see it, as no one had the orange getting this far.