The other sports thread

Eleven

On 8/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, I-90 W said:

Agreed and I also blame MLB to an extend. Their “let the kids play” mantra is having some negative results. They want the players to be sassy and it’s not a good look.

No. 

On 9/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, Hoss said:

I’m going to Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech next month so I’d like ND to play well until then so the Hokies can crush their spirits.

Have you been to Blacksburg or to VT before?

10 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Yes.

Can I ask how much time you spend talking to youth baseball players about who their favorite players are or what their favorite moments are? Do you follow JomBoy at all? Buddy Boy and Manfred have done very little to invest in the future of the game. The young guys are doing it for themselves. If baseball is going to be a sport in 100 years, it’s because big ol’ bat flips, pimp jobs, and flashy play. 

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

First time but very excited. Open to some food and bar recommendations because we’ll have some time outside of the game too.

It’s awesome there. If you’re looking to get a real VT college experience, hit up ToTs sometime over the weekend and chug down a rail. Will get you in the right real quick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Can I ask how much time you spend talking to youth baseball players about who their favorite players are or what their favorite moments are? Do you follow JomBoy at all? Buddy Boy and Manfred have done very little to invest in the future of the game. The young guys are doing it for themselves. If baseball is going to be a sport in 100 years, it’s because big ol’ bat flips, pimp jobs, and flashy play. 

I don't care one way or the other about bat flips, etc., but when did JomBoy become the Marshall McLuhan of 2021?

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

Nothing like waking up to a massive c0ck 

In Fort Worth back yard chickens are a thing.  You can hear them in the morning.  They're technically supposed to be 50 feet away from inhabited buildings but no one pays attention to that.  You know where your hipster and Mexican neighbors are when the rooster crows.

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In Fort Worth back yard chickens are a thing.  You can hear them in the morning.  They're technically supposed to be 50 feet away from inhabited buildings but no one pays attention to that.  You know where your hipster and Mexican neighbors are when the rooster crows.

They are a thing around here too, but roosters are specifically prohibited in the zoning ordinances.

I moved to the 'country', which is about 45 minutes to down town Halifax.

There seems to be no rules atoll.  None.  Zip.  Nadda.  Zilch.

Just about every night we here the Bocat(s), Coyote(s) or Weasel(s) in the hen house.  Roos do there thing day and night.  Never seem to at dawn, though.

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve read here in a long time, and that’s saying something. Stick to hockey. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't care one way or the other about bat flips, etc., but when did JomBoy become the Marshall McLuhan of 2021?

He isn't, but his view count and popularity to me show that he's giving the people what they want. And what he provide is all that fun stuff. Interesting reference as well, going to need to read more on him. 

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve read here in a long time, and that’s saying something. Stick to hockey. 

I mean, I've spent 5 hours a week for the past 7 baseball seasons working with 12 year olds. You can stick in your ear buds and listen to the radio at the games like the rest of the old timers and once they all die out there won't be a sport left. This isn't hockey where if no youth in America gave a crap there would still be a sport. Look at the decline in viewership among young people and the decline in participation. Baseball in the States competes with multiple sports. If MLB wants to regulate young players having fun and playing how they want to play, young people won't be interested. Even the difference between Freeman fans and Acuna fans speaks to the issue. I've only coached in Braves country. The kids like Acuna. They like Albies. Freeman is boring. But whatever, hold your own opinions. If you don't understand the sport is in decline and don't think young players doing what they are doing is good for the game I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like (+1) 1