All about Justin Schultz

deluca67

Saw a piece on that Justin Schultz last night. Anyone interested in seeing the Sabres take a run at him? Not often a talented 22 year old hits the free agent market. I like the idea.

Some others around here have mentioned him as someone they'd like to see. Personally, I just want a player I can call Sergeant.

And where are we going to put him, and why do we want to sign a 22 year old who has proven nothing and already wanted more than 1 NHL team were offering. The kid has 'diva' written all over him. He'll get a massive contract and underperform.

I think this team has the ability to make it and we have a better chance than quite a lot of the powerhouses, as we saw with the Kings. I know his old and is playing for a chance for the cup but surely thats more reason to sign him. He has the attitude we need.

He can't get a big contract, as he must sign an entry level one. He will be a decent player, although why he ###### Anaheim over is something I would ask him before I signed him. But signing him wont happen, he will sign with Vancouver/Edmonton/Toronto

He can't get a big contract, as he must sign an entry level one. He will be a decent player, although why he ###### Anaheim over is something I would ask him before I signed him. But signing him wont happen, he will sign with Vancouver/Edmonton/Toronto

Yer the Anahiem thing is too much of a question for me. We have Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Leopold, Sekera, Weber, McNabb and Brennan all ready for NHL action. I'd trade Leopold and keep the others as our top 6 anyway.

Getting back to my point I'm sure he'll sign with Edmonton.

And where are we going to put him, and why do we want to sign a 22 year old who has proven nothing and already wanted more than 1 NHL team were offering. The kid has 'diva' written all over him. He'll get a massive contract and underperform.

The level of prospect he is is greater than any defensive prospect the Sabres have in the system.

Under the CBA, Schultz will be restricted to a two-year, two-way entry-level contract with a maximum salary of about $925,000 US a season. Players aged 22 or 23 must sign entry-level contracts for their first two seasons.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...nt.html?cmp=rss

Does anyone know how it works with bonuses though? Can he end up with an NHL cap hit over $3M like Nugent-Hopkins etc?

The level of prospect he is is greater than any defensive prospect the Sabres have in the system.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...nt.html?cmp=rss

Does anyone know how it works with bonuses though? Can he end up with an NHL cap hit over $3M like Nugent-Hopkins etc?

My understanding is that bonuses count against the cap. If I recall correctly, Myers entry-level contact was 3 years with 850K salary and 450K bonuses (or something like that) for a cap hit of 1.3 million per season. Nugent-Hopkins was a #1 pick so his salary and bonuses were very high compared to Myers. Schultz would not get a Nugent-Hopkins (i.e. #1 pick) contract, IMO. So, the cap hit / salary structure would likely be similar to Myers first contract, again IMO.

I guess what I'm asking/saying is the base salary entry level contract isn't the only piece of the negotiation. So some team could offer him a "massive" contract in the form of a bonus.

Sure, nothing (as far as I know) preventing a team from doing that. I don't think it will happen though.

"the young defenceman has narrowed down his list of suitors to the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators and Edmonton Oilers."

Per TSN

This from a young draftee who wouldn't sign with the team that drafted him.

Something tells me this poop wouldn't pass my sniff test ... potential attitude problems?

I wouldn't touch him with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Saw a piece on that Justin Schultz last night. Anyone interested in seeing the Sabres take a run at him? Not often a talented 22 year old hits the free agent market. I like the idea.

I hope this dick goes to Toronto. That way I root against him more often. I can't describe what my level of hate would be if he did this to the Sabres.

I'd rather Toronto not get him, Almost every scout has said this kid has talent and could be really good. I'd rather see him go to Edmonton or Vancouver cause I really don't care much about those teams, and with them being in the west, he won't really have any impact on the Sabres

you can have all the talent in the world, but if you've got the wrong attitude towards applying it, it won't make a lick of difference

you can have all the talent in the world, but if you've got the wrong attitude towards applying it, it won't make a lick of difference

But this kid has not had any issues with applying his talent in the past, he is being viewed negatively by some because he didn't want to play for the team that drafted him and basically screwed over the Ducks. The teams he is meeting with, they are all places he would be happy to sign with, so I don't see there being any issues at all with him not giving a full effort on the ice.

Bah, if it were two years ago when we were starving for defensemen, I doubt Schultz would be getting Schultzed on very much in our camp.

Also, ohsnapnowwecan'tsigncrosbydoh! Nothing too surprising there.

it could always be some kind of "Sign and Trade" type of deal, Probably for Roy, Stafford, and the key to teh deal, Brad Boyes rights til July 1 E1

The more I Read about schultz the more I dislike him. His a kid who's proven nothing and his demanding top 4 minutes, and to say in the west and in Canada. Even Lindros wasn't this bad. Gorram brat.

He is using the rules to his advantage. I can't blame him.

He decided to stay at Wisconsin without a contract risking injury, I think that says a lot about him.

But this kid has not had any issues with applying his talent in the past, he is being viewed negatively by some because he didn't want to play for the team that drafted him and basically screwed over the Ducks. The teams he is meeting with, they are all places he would be happy to sign with, so I don't see there being any issues at all with him not giving a full effort on the ice.

it could always be some kind of "Sign and Trade" type of deal, Probably for Roy, Stafford, and the key to teh deal, Brad Boyes rights til July 1 E1

Also, it sounds like there is a signing bonanza for him, seems as though it would have been foolish on his part to sign with Anaheim simply because they drafted him.

Also, it sounds like there is a signing bonanza for him, seems as though it would have been foolish on his part to sign with Anaheim simply because they drafted him.

well they only advantage he has is that he can go to his favorite team/which ever team he wants to. Financially theres no advantage because his deal is capped cause its an entry level deal. Its not like he wasn't signing in Anaheim cause he knows that there will be a bidding war for him and be able to cash in. Unless Anaheim wasn't willing to offer him the maximum allowed ofr an entry level deal, he will be paid the same anywhere he plays

Archived