All about Justin Schultz

deluca67

I'm assuming the bolded is merely opinion, and if so, it would be more than likely correct. Kudos to you for the observation.

As for the Regehr situation and FA signings, I couldn't disagree more.

Regehr was traded to Buffalo because of the Kotalik contract, pure and simple. Yes, he did have to agree to wave, but Calgary was in no position to move him without some talent coming back, and Butler, well let's just say that was a less than graceful moment for Calgary.

In short, it had little to do with Calgary having no interest in Regehr and a great deal to do with money.

There is no they. There is only Terry Pegula. Regier gave council, Pegula listened and hence we have Ehrhoff and Leino.

I will say I am still very hesitant on Regier, the Leino signing was definitely throwing darts at the board in the dark. But the Ehrhoff signing was nothing short of outstanding. It doesn't matter if the contract was front loaded, after all, your not footing the immediate bill.

Calgary wanted to be rid of the Regehr contract, Buffalo offered the best return and was will to take Kotalik back. That really has nothing to do with the point. Regehr was facing a trade to Buffalo or possibly staying with a team that didn't want him.

The front loaded money did matter, it was the #1 reason Leino and Ehrhoff signed. Not many teams were willing to pay Leino $21 million the first two seasons or Ehrhoff $33 million the first two years. TW's point was that the Sabres are not the destination that fans hoped they would be. All things equal the Sabres are going to lose out on players more often than not in free-agency, which is my point. Brad Richards is a great example, the Sabres didn't even meet with him. Other teams were willing to go dollar for dollar.

Is that in the CBA?

Yes. I want to say it has happened three times. Phoenix got one when they lost Wheeler. The rags got one when Cherapanov died. Minnesota got one when they didn't sign a kid out of Michigan whose name is escaping me right now. It only happens with first round picks.

I really can't believe we're arguing the morality of a player wanting to play on a team he likes. We'd be losing our minds if he was clamoring to play here, but instead we're all butthurt because he doesn't.

Chill out.

I don't care where he goes, if it's not Anaheim, he did them a disservice. All I did was look at it from the Ducks perspective. If he did this to Buffalo, Shultz would be LeBron, OJ, Bill Belicheck and Brett Hull all rolled into one. If Buffalo fans set Leodis' lawn on fire, what would they have done to this kid?

I don't care where he goes, if it's not Anaheim, he did them a disservice. All I did was look at it from the Ducks perspective. If he did this to Buffalo, Shultz would be LeBron, OJ, Bill Belicheck and Brett Hull all rolled into one. If Buffalo fans set Leodis' lawn on fire, what would they have done to this kid?

Nothing. We'd blame Regier! ;)

When I graduated from college I was a UFA, free to sign with any employer who would would have me. When Schulz left college 29 out of his 30 best opportunities were closed to him. He was, in effect, indentured. How is this fair to him? Why does he have an obligation to the Ducks?

When I graduated from college I was a UFA, free to sign with any employer who would would have me. When Schulz left college 29 out of his 30 best opportunities were closed to him. He was, in effect, indentured. How is this fair to him? Why does he have an obligation to the Ducks?

It is the same for every player who plays in the NHL...He knew this was the system and despite it wanted to be an NHL player. Stop comparing sports to normal jobs - it simply isn't the same

Calgary wanted to be rid of the Regehr contract, Buffalo offered the best return and was will to take Kotalik back. That really has nothing to do with the point. Regehr was facing a trade to Buffalo or possibly staying with a team that didn't want him.

The front loaded money did matter, it was the #1 reason Leino and Ehrhoff signed. Not many teams were willing to pay Leino $21 million the first two seasons or Ehrhoff $33 million the first two years. TW's point was that the Sabres are not the destination that fans hoped they would be. All things equal the Sabres are going to lose out on players more often than not in free-agency, which is my point. Brad Richards is a great example, the Sabres didn't even meet with him. Other teams were willing to go dollar for dollar.

Ehrhoff still needed convincing to sign that deal. Regher needed TP and his wife to fly out to Calgary to convince him to agree to the trade and come to Buffalo

Like you are saying, the point is that these players needed more tehn just a heavily front loaded contract, or the idea that his current team was trying to unload them to come to Buffalo

That's beauty of the situation. You don't have to give anyone up to sign him.

I'd try to sign him (why not?) but I think people are getting carried away with how great he is. He's an offensive defenseman with decent size (6'1") who was a second round pick. But suddenly people are talking about him like he could shift the balance of power in the NHL with his decision today.

I notice you avoided answering both questions I raised.

I ignored them because they are strawman arguments. He has an obligation to play for them because they drafted him and that is how the draft works. The draft is there to allow stability in the league. If you let players get away with this too easily, they will all do it and you might as well not have the draft. And do you know what happens then? You get the English football league, where the only thing that matters is money (in america location and market size would also factor in). I really dislike the premier league for this - take Man City, a mediocre team who gets new management who are willing to spend half a billion dollars to get the right players and then they win the title. That to me is a ###### league

From an interview with his former coach the canucks are his favourite team and he's from B.C. , apparently he followed the canucks very closely last season. Methinks the Canucks are the frontrunner.

Now we know the real reason they didn't tender MAG. :)

I'd try to sign him (why not?) but I think people are getting carried away with how great he is. He's an offensive defenseman with decent size (6'1") who was a second round pick. But suddenly people are talking about him like he could shift the balance of power in the NHL with his decision today.

He once scored a goal by simply growling at the puck

He can body check opposing forwards while in the locker room

If you hurt one of his teammates he will eat your soul

The Norris Trophy is being renamed after him

he is the most overrated unproven UFA this summer, stay delusional my friends

totaly agree with robviously

He once scored a goal by simply growling at the puck

He can body check opposing forwards while in the locker room

If you hurt one of his teammates he will eat your soul

The Norris Trophy is being renamed after him

he is the most overrated unproven UFA this summer, stay delusional my friends

totaly agree with robviously

I agree - thin UFA year though (as always it seems?), so he will be hyped. Plus it is the offseason, so we need to talk about something :P

I ignored them because they are strawman arguments. He has an obligation to play for them because they drafted him and that is how the draft works. The draft is there to allow stability in the league. If you let players get away with this too easily, they will all do it and you might as well not have the draft. And do you know what happens then? You get the English football league, where the only thing that matters is money (in america location and market size would also factor in). I really dislike the premier league for this - take Man City, a mediocre team who gets new management who are willing to spend half a billion dollars to get the right players and then they win the title. That to me is a ###### league

Strawman? Really? Slavery worked the way it did. It provided stability to the owners. Was it fair to the slaves? I neither know nor care how soccer works. The salary cap takes care of the issues you raise.

Stawman? Really? Slavery worked the way it did. It provided stability to the owners. Was it fair to the slaves? I neither know nor care how soccer works. The salary cap takes care of the issues you raise.

...You are really comparing the NHL draft to slavery?? I am not going to even bother replying. You could also mention the Nazis as well? I hear they were pretty evil. The salary cap does not take care of it as entry level deals mean there is a $3mil cap hit limit; with the cap at 70mil, that is a lot of top quality prospects you could fit in your system. The draft is one of the best things about north american sports. You don't need to know or care how soccer works, it was a comparison i explained to you.

7 teams met with Shultz: Tor, NYR, Van, Ed, Ott, Min and ???? (courtesy of McKenzie)

Nyr, Tor are def out. Shultz is calling the remainng 5 and supposedly according to a David Pagnotta from 4th Period the last team he speaks with will be the one

Archived