All about Justin Schultz

deluca67

7 teams met with Shultz: Tor, NYR, Van, Ed, Ott, Min and ???? (courtesy of McKenzie)

Nyr, Tor are def out. Shultz is calling the remainng 5 and supposedly according to a David Pagnotta from 4th Period the last team he speaks with will be the one

As in his agent will call 4 of them and he will call 1 of them? If so this is disgraceful, it is like a reality TV show....ridiculous, the kid's ego must be through the roof

As in his agent will call 4 of them and he will call 1 of them? If so this is disgraceful, it is like a reality TV show....ridiculous, the kid's ego must be through the roof

NBC SportsNet is missing out!

see my dos equis post and you will see that I agree the kids playing a game and he seems like a diva

When I graduated from college I was a UFA, free to sign with any employer who would would have me. When Schulz left college 29 out of his 30 best opportunities were closed to him. He was, in effect, indentured. How is this fair to him? Why does he have an obligation to the Ducks?

It is the same for every player who plays in the NHL...He knew this was the system and despite it wanted to be an NHL player. Stop comparing sports to normal jobs - it simply isn't the same

I notice you avoided answering both questions I raised.

I believe he did, but I will in a clear manner.

To me the NHL draft is basically every hockey playing kids dream come true to be drafted into the NHL. That is not a guarantee that they will ever play in the NHL, but it's a big step.

He entered the NHL draft. He was drafted by the Ducks and then went to college, or continued to play in college after he was drafted. Therefore, his options were limited. I view it as a contract, although not a signed one, between the player drafted and the team that drafted him ... players offer service to team drafting the player and the team pays with an asset to draft them (the pick). In a vast majority of the cases it's a binding contract on both sides honour. Often it doesn't work out and the player is not signed to a real contract. Then they are free to try to latch on with another team. This should not happen before all the other steps in the process. It is fair to him because he accepted the terms of the "contract" on draft day. He has an obligation to try to fullfil this draft "contract" with the Ducks and for them to decide if they want to sign him. He did not fullfil his end of the bargain and now he wants to bolt.

...You are really comparing the NHL draft to slavery?? I am not going to even bother replying. You could also mention the Nazis as well? I hear they were pretty evil. The salary cap does not take care of it as entry level deals mean there is a $3mil cap hit limit; with the cap at 70mil, that is a lot of top quality prospects you could fit in your system. The draft is one of the best things about north american sports. You don't need to know or care how soccer works, it was a comparison i explained to you.

Probably more like indentured servitude as I mentioned in a previous post.

The salary cap does take care of it. Invest too much in unproven talent and you are toast.

The soccer team you wrote about that spent a half a billion dollars, are they subject to a cap?

Funny, you write that you are not replying in a post that is, um, a reply.

Probably more like indentured servitude as I mentioned in a previous post.

The salary cap does take care of it. Invest too much in unproven talent and you are toast.

The soccer team you wrote about that spent a half a billion dollars, are they subject to a cap?

Funny, you write that you are not replying in a post that is, um, a reply.

I hear life is pretty tough for those millionaire indentured servants...

I said i would not reply to the ridiculous slavery comment and i didn't?

No, it does not have a salary cap. However, i think you misunderstand that there is a $3million limit on entry level contracts (which is what he can sign) - that means for $15million, you could have 5 players who are destined to earn $7million each, so whilst you can't keep them all in the long-term, you can still fill a couple of positions with good players. Imagine the oilers atm, but without the fact they have sucked for 7 years. You could have a team like Pittsburgh fill out Crosby's line with Yakupov and Hall for no additional cost. That would be a scary line for the 3 years of an entry level contract

I believe he did, but I will in a clear manner.

To me the NHL draft is basically every hockey playing kids dream come true to be drafted into the NHL. That is not a guarantee that they will ever play in the NHL, but it's a big step.

He entered the NHL draft. He was drafted by the Ducks and then went to college, or continued to play in college after he was drafted. Therefore, his options were limited. I view it as a contract, although not a signed one, between the player drafted and the team that drafted him ... players offer service to team drafting the player and the team pays with an asset to draft them (the pick). In a vast majority of the cases it's a binding contract on both sides honour. Often it doesn't work out and the player is not signed to a real contract. Then they are free to try to latch on with another team. This should not happen before all the other steps in the process. It is fair to him because he accepted the terms of the "contract" on draft day. He has an obligation to try to fullfil this draft "contract" with the Ducks and for them to decide if they want to sign him. He did not fullfil his end of the bargain and now he wants to bolt.

Thanks for addressing actual arguments instead of dismissing them. Those who have no actual arguments are the ones who are dismissive.

He entered the NHL draft? Or was he simply eligible? And what if he chose not to enter the draft? What would his status be then? Would this prevent him from playing in the NHL?

For me, the really big problem here is that current players belong to the NHL players association, and future players do not. The current players negotiate the CBA, including the draft rules. They have every incentive to maximize their own returns, and this is a huge conflict of interest. The owners go along because it allows them to sign entry level guys and RFAs at below market rates. Future players are bound by an agreement they have no part in making. Contracts are supposed to be voluntary exchanges.

oilers win

agree to terms with schultz

Oilers and McKenzie confirm details to come

When is the NHL Network going to broadcast the rose ceremony? And how long until he decides the Oilers aren't the right fit for him after all and he wants to test his options again?

Thanks for addressing actual arguments instead of dismissing them. Those who have no actual arguments are the ones who are dismissive.

He entered the NHL draft? Or was he simply eligible? And what if he chose not to enter the draft? What would his status be then? Would this prevent him from playing in the NHL?

For me, the really big problem here is that current players belong to the NHL players association, and future players do not. The current players negotiate the CBA, including the draft rules. They have every incentive to maximize their own returns, and this is a huge conflict of interest. The owners go along because it allows them to sign entry level guys and RFAs at below market rates. Future players are bound by an agreement they have no part in making. Contracts are supposed to be voluntary exchanges.

I have previously answered those questions in this thread and summarised my opinion with the fact he chose to attend the draft. If he didn't want to be drafted tell the scouts and don't turn up to the combine etc. If he choses to attend those events and attend the draft it means he wants to be drafted, which means he knows what is involved, which means he has an obligation to fulfil his side of the deal.

Furthermore, as i said previously, but i will say again for your benefit, every team will ask these guys if they will agree to play for them. Moreover, i really struggle to think that everyone would have the same opinion if it was Grigs or Pysyk or another one of our top prospects.

The prospects who have never played a game of AHL or NHL hockey in their life can sign for up to $3million? You think that is too little??? How much should they be allowed to be paid? And first contracts are not voluntary exchanges ever. Most of my friends have graduated this year and most of them have been handed a piece of paper and told to sign it and wave their legal rights to number of hours they can work, and if they refuse, they don't get the job. Moreover, they did not get a choice of starting salary - that was not negotiable.

In fairness, their lack of sway is mainly because they are not important and are replaceable, which is not true for hockey prospects

When is the NHL Network going to broadcast the rose ceremony? And how long until he decides the Oilers aren't the right fit for him after all and he wants to test his options again?

If he actually signs the contract ... my guess = 3 years. Then again, I would ... :w00t: ... if the Oil released him after training camp ... :w00t: .

EDIT: I just remembered that his contract under the CBA can be for two years max. So, I change my quess to 2 years max. before he decides to bail on the Oilers.

Can we start the Roy for Schultz rumors now?

No! The pinhead hasn't signed his new contract yet ... you pick which pinhead I'm referring to.

Archived