The Bus Monitor Story

dEnnis the Menace

My Goodness what a most unfortunate issue. It a obvious that many do read/observe/ watch of all ages as to what the consequences will be. It clear if in the end the consequences be a great initial fuss then it all going away, the message to children and young everywhere will be ... "see we are children they cannot do anything"

I ponder if I will a bus monitor how could/would/should react in such a situation. (there must be formal training nationwide for such) To me it would seem a obvious where children involved would be warned once to stop, after which in not desisting would be separated , if there be any further disobedience , the bus stopped authorities called said children removed from bus, accountable family member called to come collect children , said children until a resolution whereby it clear such a occurrence is not going to happen they do not have access to bus. That much obvious . No chance do the other children, driver , monitor be obligated to experience this.

It clear also that if there ever was a time where educators got together to establish a process of education for monitors, for drivers , teachers, children, family it is long past present.

Each year at school registration part of school registration not a should but prerequisite actual program that at least one accountable family member must accompany the schooled child, where a firm set of guidelines are presented, a education program where the ramifications of bullying, ect are shown, a standard of behavier printed out and for child to attend school, at least one family member must sign on to be accountable for. This must happen for any child to attend school. Consequences need be clear from the onset as to how such situations are handled and there ramifications, something along the lines of first instance , one week , second, one month, third , guidance for family for home schooling assistance in what other forms necessary where said child is home schooled until they it can be shown such behavier will not happen again.

There has to be a standard, can't just make up what to do based on a particular school districts, or embarrassment of a particular issue as to how firmly such a issue handled. Not a easy issue, but we do have access to many compassionate educated peoples that putting their minds together certainly there is no reason and actual mode and program of action cannot be in place the nation wide.

I do think looking at this issue it be sobering to look at the face of bullying,how ugly it is, that I as a individual before I would be pointing fingers myself must go look in the mirror , and do level best that none of these attitudes are reflected in my behavior, such that my personal example be one a child would look to follow as opposed to we one of puzzlement and inconsistency.

I often think of this poem by Longfellow http://www.blupete.c.../Blacksmith.htm

We as adult must be good examples ourselves....

Yes, obviously, but why are you bringing that up? And how are you so certain that she is to blame? And what makes you think that you can hire highly trained professionals at a Bus Monitor's wage?

She stated in one of her interviews that she had reported this before, and nothing was done. As a former educator you probably know that nothing was done because administrators are almost fully castrated by litigious parents.

Also, she didn't say "nothing" she tells the kids that she is a person too and should be treated as such. She also tries to teach them a lesson using the words on her purse as a teaching tool. Then they start insulting her about the purse.

I'm not assigning blame. I'm pointing out that she failed in her responsibilites of maintaining order and appropraite behavior on the bus. If I were blaming her, I would have said she deserved it. I've gone out of my way to state that she didn't.

EDIT: I don't know if there's such a thing as a "highly trained Bus Monitor," but that's neither here nor there. I said she lacked the skillset and demeanor for the job. Not everybody is cut out for every job...

As a former educator, I've never seen an instance where abusive and/or violent behavior - or the potential for violent behavior - was not thoroughly investigated and when circumstances merited doing so, suspensions and expulsions were issued.

Guest Sloth

No, violence or the fear of violence is not the solution, and yes, the driver should have supported her.

Here's my take: Most kids know right from wrong, and setting the expectation that "wong" will not be tolerated goes a long way in preventing issues long before they happen. In other words, this began with their lack of respect for her, and that lack of respect likely began the first day of school in the fall when she failed to assert herself as an authority figure.

I imagine that anyone who has spent a great deal of time working with other people's kids (teachers, coaches, scout leaders, et al) know exactly what I mean...

+1 :thumbsup:

Teachers are always told or reminded to strongly enforce all rules in the first two weeks of a school year. Many teachers that do not do this quickly lose control of their classroom and often fail to regain the authority they had on the first day of school. Classroom management is very important.

I am by no means defending the behavior of the students, however, the bus monitor should not have just sat there and taken their abuse. She obviously lacks the skill set required to position herself as an effective authority figure. Again, the kids certainly crossed the line - but it should never have never gotten that far. I spent 6 years teaching in public schools and learned early on that when one asserts oneself as a person to be respected, this behavior simply doesn't happen.

She, in some way, shape, or form, shares in the responsibility for this incident.

She wrote the kids up before and the school did nothing.

She wrote the kids up before and the school did nothing.

I read that she claims to have reported a previous incident, but that doesn't really tell us a whole lot...

She wrote them a referral or merely verbally told someone? Who did she tell? Exactly what was the behavior? When did she follow up? And since student records, including disciplinary, are confidential, we don't really know the school did nothing, and likely never will.

The earlier comment about karma catching up with these kids is right on - can you image when any of them try to get into a good college and this shows up on their record? How about a job interview? Would you hire someone to work in your office that has a history like these kids'?

Also, this story has gone national, sort of. It showed up on my Yahoo! home page yesterday. No wonder the $$ are rolling in.

Make that International ...

It's all over CBC.ca.

It's not even going to matter. If they're charged as juveniles the records get sealed after they turn 18. And everyone will have forgotten about it in a year or two. As long as they don't end up as frequent visitors of the criminal justice system they'll be fine.

Karma will never forget

Regardless of the outcome the parents of these little angels will back up and defend their kids further enabling these cretins with a sense of entitlement and at the same time robbing them of any semblance of understanding of what it means to suffer consequences for their negative actions. Like many in that generation they have no respect for their elders, nor for themselves. Their parents should be ashamed but I doubt they are.

Regardless of the outcome the parents of these little angels will back up and defend their kids further enabling these cretins with a sense of entitlement and at the same time robbing them of any semblance of understanding of what it means to suffer consequences for their negative actions. Like many in that generation they have no respect for their elders, nor for themselves. Their parents should be ashamed but I doubt they are.

I agree. I think this is an in between generation, as I said before, in that the people of my generation are more likely to rear their children in a manner similar to the way most people of my generation were brought up: with more respect for elders, more responsible, etc. I formed this opinion thru observation of many of my peers, and their general disdain (along with my own) for the entitled attitude of the current generation.

Guest Sloth

I agree. I think this is an in between generation, as I said before, in that the people of my generation are more likely to rear their children in a manner similar to the way most people of my generation were brought up: with more respect for elders, more responsible, etc. I formed this opinion thru observation of many of my peers, and their general disdain (along with my own) for the entitled attitude of the current generation.

This is a glass half full attitude and that is a good thing to have. I, too, like to think people now in their 20's/early 30's will have a desire to change things to the better. Unfortunately, there has been a continuous decline in morals, values, respect, work ethic, etc... for countless generations. Many people who have been in the teaching profession for 25+ years speak of this.

You also have to consider the change in lifestyle. In the past, many families only needed on parent to work. Today, roughly 75% of families have both parents working. This often leaves a 2 to 3 hour window for kids when they get home from school. Kids to a minor degree are establishing their own set of morals and values. And to think the number of standard hour jobs are declining. This would be an 8 to 5 job beginning on Monday's and ending on Fridays. Many parents are now working odd hour jobs. This makes it very difficult for the parents to raise their children properly.

This is a glass half full attitude and that is a good thing to have. I, too, like to think people now in their 20's/early 30's will have a desire to change things to the better. Unfortunately, there has been a continuous decline in morals, values, respect, work ethic, etc... for countless generations. Many people who have been in the teaching profession for 25+ years speak of this.

You also have to consider the change in lifestyle. In the past, many families only needed on parent to work. Today, roughly 75% of families have both parents working. This often leaves a 2 to 3 hour window for kids when they get home from school. Kids to a minor degree are establishing their own set of morals and values. And to think the number of standard hour jobs are declining. This would be an 8 to 5 job beginning on Monday's and ending on Fridays. Many parents are now working odd hour jobs. This makes it very difficult for the parents to raise their children properly.

All very true, and well said. I guess it's one of those 'we'll have to wait and see' kind of deals. I am truly an optimist at heart (while the engineer in me wants to be a realist, and just point out the the glass is twice as big as it needs to be).

Only 50 hours?

The 50 hours are with senior citizens per the article and they have to partake in an anti bullying program. I would've liked to have seen more community service, and less suspension. I don't know what the "district re engagement center" is though.

The 50 hours are with senior citizens per the article and they have to partake in an anti bullying program. I would've liked to have seen more community service, and less suspension. I don't know what the "district re engagement center" is though.

It's probably a school for kids coming out of Juvie, or kids who dropped out and are coming back. I'm not sure it's entirely the best idea, to be honest. The whole goal was to keep them away from things that labeled them as criminals, and this sorta has that effect.

It's probably a school for kids coming out of Juvie, or kids who dropped out and are coming back. I'm not sure it's entirely the best idea, to be honest. The whole goal was to keep them away from things that labeled them as criminals, and this sorta has that effect.

yeah, I had agreed with what you were saying upthread, and was open to the idea of LOTS of community service rather than suspension. bummer.

Archived