The Bus Monitor Story

dEnnis the Menace

I saw this posted around facebook, and I finally gave in and watched the movie, and I was just overcome with rage towards the kids. Kids nowadays seem to have no respect, and this video is just another shot at what seems to be the norm of society today. I consider myself young, as I am 23, and I have a sister that is 5 years younger than I. Neither one of us would ever think about being as disrespectful as these kids. My parents would've whooped my arse.

I think a major problem with today's kids is the lack of discipline that you saw not too long ago. I got into a debate about that with my boss a little bit ago, and before I left work, I wanted to post this and get other thoughts on the topic.

so sound off!

PS: This is the story about the Greece, NY Bus Monitor

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on

frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond

words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and

respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly

disrespectful and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

I wasn't sure what to think at first but now that I've watch the video, man, what is wrong with these kids?

Middle schoolers have always been the worst. It's a fact of that age bracket. They're old enough to know how to be as cruel as possible, but the lowest on the chain of maturity.

But I've never seen anything like that before. If anyone had done that when I was in middle school, our bus driver would have stopped the bus and made us sit there. Immediate punishment is the best kind, and making a bunch of kids sit on a hot bus for a an hour until the school principal drove all the way there would have driven anyone crazy.

Then again, someone in my day would have stopped that. Probably me. The people that do things like bus monitoring are usually there because they think they like kids.

Glad to see the power of the internet pull people together to give her something nice. She deserves it after that ordeal.

Those kids? I don't know what else you could do except give them community service. And nothing fun either. Something hard out in the summer sun for the duration of their would-be vacation.

d4rk, I'd ban them from the bus for a year. Let their parents know they sucked at raising their kids by having to drive them to school for the year. I'd also give them some type of suspension for the following school year. Maybe a month of After School Suspension. ###### those kids.

d4rk, I'd ban them from the bus for a year. Let their parents know they sucked at raising their kids by having to drive them to school for the year. I'd also give them some type of suspension for the following school year. Maybe a month of After School Suspension. ###### those kids.

After school suspension and making the parents drive them to school is getting off way to easy. Never having to ride the bus again? SWEET.

Naw, you gotta make these kids sweat it out doing something they'll hate, like unpaid manual labor. Losing an entire summer vacation is a middle school kids greatest fear.

What are the corporal punishment laws on the books in NY State these days? If spanking is banned (along with other methods of corrective discipline that don't use excessive force), what are adults supposed to do?

What are the corporal punishment laws on the books in NY State these days? If spanking is banned (along with other methods of corrective discipline that don't use excessive force), what are adults supposed to do?

Could always send them to The Second Mile. :thumbsup:

Some of my friends had this up on their Facebook pages before this incident but I am convinced that this pretty much sums it up:

"Only under a Godless government can you: Legally kill your children and Go to jail for disciplining them. All nations will be judged."

#justsayin'

New Yorkers... Sheesh...

Parents and kids due into Superintendent's office this week. Can you imagine the embarassment the parents will have over this? Imagine the reporters camping out in your neighborhood, interviewing your neighbors, following you to school..... Yikes....

Could always send them to The Second Mile. :thumbsup:

I believe this to be in bad taste.

I'll leave that up to you. I certainly wouldn't do that.

While I don't often agree with you Crosschecking ... I do now.

=====

IMO, this all stems from the sense of entitlement of kids these days. And where did they get this ... it was passed down by their parents.

I feel we are all doomed, as these kids will be running the planet one day. My only hope is that this has been said for generations and in the end, so far, these type of kids don't end up running the world ... the handful of good kids from each generation grow up to run things.

Not sure what to do to correct the situation and what to do with these kids, or their parents, who have failed society miserably.

I was reading around, and apparently some people found out who the kids are, and posted everything about them (address, phone numbers, parents names & parents coworkers names and their numbers and addresses). I think that this whole thing is about to blow up. There is no around it now that a bunch of personal information is being posted. The school district and bus company are going to have to step in now if they hadn't already.

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far.

IMO, this all stems from the sense of entitlement of kids these days. And where did they get this ... it was passed down by their parents.

I feel we are all doomed, as these kids will be running the planet one day. My only hope is that this has been said for generations and in the end, so far, these type of kids don't end up running the world ... the handful of good kids from each generation grow up to run things.

Not sure what to do to correct the situation and what to do with these kids, or their parents, who have failed society miserably.

You are absolutely right that the kids now have a sense of entitlement. But I do not believe we are all doomed. The generation of kids now is an issue, however, I like to believe that my generation of people (mid to late 20's) will raise their kids the same way we were raised. All of my friends were raised in the same manner of discipline as I was, and I expect that we will be raising our kids the same.

And D4rk, I agree, make these kids do some sort of manual labor or suspend them or do something that will really make them regret being a bunch of pricks.

10 minutes is a really really long time to denigrate someone. Like Psychopathically long. Like pre-serial killer long.

That's what is truly so horrifying about it. I could see giving a monitor a hard time once or twice, because that's what stupid middle schoolers do, but to draw it out that long?

I've never seen bullying like that before. :(

Every time I see a story on a school bus fight, bullying or any type of story on kids showing disrespect at any scale in the learning environment I always say the same thing should be done.

Throw them out of the school system for an entire year.

Make sure they can't enroll anywhere in a school system, nationwide. Put up a bullying data base.

Then make the Parents responsible for their educational needs for that period of time. And let's not half ass it either, give them tests to see the progress every 14 days. If it appears the Parents haven't found a way to either home school properly or find a private tutor, then fine them 100 dollars a month, or 2 weeks or hell, even a week until 2 things happen, the Parents learn to fall into compliance of being a responsible Parent and teaching their children accordingly and the childs behavior shows modification in a positive fasion.

I'm sure the lesson will hit home after an experience like this.

I saw only portions of the video (it kind of made me sick to watch any more of it) but some of what was said and done may have crossed the line from "bullying" to "criminal offense". I don't know the law so well, but unwanted physical contact has to violate some sort of code. Also, one of the kids says something like "if I had my knife, I'd *&^% cut you". That could be interpreted as a direct threat; again, I do not know the law (especially as it relates to minors), but this sounds pretty bad. It is sad to think that the only way to make kids behave anymore on a bus might be to have a law enforcement officer ride along. No one else would have any real authority to do anything.

I saw only portions of the video (it kind of made me sick to watch any more of it) but some of what was said and done may have crossed the line from "bullying" to "criminal offense". I don't know the law so well, but unwanted physical contact has to violate some sort of code. Also, one of the kids says something like "if I had my knife, I'd *&^% cut you". That could be interpreted as a direct threat; again, I do not know the law (especially as it relates to minors), but this sounds pretty bad. It is sad to think that the only way to make kids behave anymore on a bus might be to have a law enforcement office ride along. No one else would have any real authority to do anything.

That was my thoughts as well. They posted a video of her on the internet without her permission (after videotaping her without her permission), threatened to go to her house and damage property, threatened to inflict bodily harm to her, and committed unwanted physical contact. I think these kids should be arrested to teach them a lesson!

Archived