The Bus Monitor Story

dEnnis the Menace

That was my thoughts as well. They posted a video of her on the internet without her permission (after videotaping her without her permission), threatened to go to her house and damage property, threatened to inflict bodily harm to her, and committed unwanted physical contact. I think these kids should be arrested to teach them a lesson!

How about this: a summer with no screen time, no cell phones, no text-ing, no TV, no internet, no video games, and hmmmmm?....no food. That's a start.

How about this: a summer with no screen time, no cell phones, no text-ing, no TV, no internet, no video games, and hmmmmm?....no food. That's a start.

That's my essential list. Arresting them and all that stuff is just missing the point. It makes them look "badass" to their friends.

You gotta hit em where it hurts: their freedom to be kids.

Mandated community service all summer long. You want to punish them, but you want to avoid sending them somewhere like Juvie where they just sit around and brood and hang out with other a-hole kids.

Send em to work on a farm. Make em sweep the streets of Greece, pick up trash, scrub graffiti.

You want to give them things to do that are constructive, but also miserable.

Threats of violence is a criminal act, Menacing. Unwanted physical contact is the basis for Assault. The events of that bus ride were criminal. The child involved should be in the family court system for their actions. If the driver/aide did not file a complaint with law enforcement they are enabling the behavior.

That's my essential list. Arresting them and all that stuff is just missing the point. It makes them look "badass" to their friends.

You gotta hit em where it hurts: their freedom to be kids.

Mandated community service all summer long. You want to punish them, but you want to avoid sending them somewhere like Juvie where they just sit around and brood and hang out with other a-hole kids.

Send em to work on a farm. Make em sweep the streets of Greece, pick up trash, scrub graffiti.

You want to give them things to do that are constructive, but also miserable.

They should have to put together a presentation about bullying. They should get access to experts, victims, and reformed bullies. It should take all summer. Then next September, during the first week of school, they should go from school to school in Greece and present it to every student in the district.

How about something silly that will embarrass them?

Make them work together to write a series of short plays about respect, bullying, etc., and make them perform them for the public every other week? I can't think of a thing punk middle schoolers would want to do less.

They should have to put together a presentation about bullying. They should get access to experts, victims, and reformed bullies. It should take all summer. Then next September, during the first week of school, they should go from school to school in Greece and present it to every student in the district.

Look at us! We're on the same page haha

What I want to see avoided is the involvement of real, criminal sanctions. The last thing you want for young adults is to let them identify themselves as criminals. It's all downhill from there.

You want to push them in a direction that is upright and responsible, and you don't want anyone else to have to suffer except for them, or else they'll just be satisfied that they're not the only ones that are miserable.

Also, I should mention that over $171,000 has been donated to her vacation fund.

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

:o

donations are fast approaching $200,000. that is so awesome. i feel terribly for her, but holy cow ... $200K? and you know it isn't done. the story just broke a couple of days ago. you can literally watch the total climb.

poor lady. like the article said, "worst and best of humanity in 24 hours." heartbreaking, yet so inspiring to see complete strangers wanting to donate some of their hard-earned money to help her have the vacation of a lifetime. heck, at the rate she's going, she can retire at the end of july.

donations are fast approaching $200,000. that is so awesome. i feel terribly for her, but holy cow ... $200K? and you know it isn't done. the story just broke a couple of days ago. you can literally watch the total climb.

I also feel sorry for her - especially when you hear her actual story where her son actually did commit suicide - but for $200k or more I would take that 10 minutes of verbal abuse by the pre-pubes.

You have to believe that the talk show hosts will start with some jokes about the money soon.

I also feel sorry for her - especially when you hear her actual story where her son actually did commit suicide - but for $200k or more I would take that 10 minutes of verbal abuse by the pre-pubes.

You have to believe that the talk show hosts will start with some jokes about the money soon.

let them joke! she didn't ask for this to be set up, and she didn't ask for money. kind-hearted people who want to end her misery are helping her get an early jump on retirement. there's no way this is the first day she's taken this kind of abuse. this is the video of a day in the life of karen klein. let her rake in all the money possible. good for her, and good for people stepping up, whether it's $5000 for an awsome vacation or a quarter mil to help her retire at the end of july.

A couple of books I highly recommend:

http://www.generationme.org/

http://www.narcissismepidemic.com/

In 1969, psychologist Nathaniel Brandon published a paper called "The Psychology of Self-Esteem," in which he argued that “feelings of self-esteem were the key to success in life.” This notion was largely adopted into the educational system, parenting books, etc. by the 1980s.

Dr. Jean Twenge, the author the two books above, does research on generational differences. In particular, she looks at the potential negative consequences of the so-called "self esteem movement" (every kid is built up to feel good about themselves, every kid wins a trophy, etc.). She would argue that the self-esteem movement is a contributing factor as to why many young folks today have less of a sense of respect for others (e.g., this bus monitor). Just a theory, of course, but the books above are very entertaining reads!

I believe this to be in bad taste.

While I don't often agree with you Crosschecking ... I do now.

=====

IMO, this all stems from the sense of entitlement of kids these days. And where did they get this ... it was passed down by their parents.

I feel we are all doomed, as these kids will be running the planet one day. My only hope is that this has been said for generations and in the end, so far, these type of kids don't end up running the world ... the handful of good kids from each generation grow up to run things.

Not sure what to do to correct the situation and what to do with these kids, or their parents, who have failed society miserably.

It was definitely in bad taste. Then again, consider the source. I knew not to fall into the trap of "rebuking" him this time because I knew it would get nowhere. DeLuca might have said it "tongue in cheek", but it went way over the top.

Now, getting back to the punks posing as preteens in this incident. I'd hate to imagine what would happen to them when some of them go to prison. At the same time, it was a horrible reminder of the depravity and wretchedness of humanity as a whole.

It was definitely in bad taste. Then again, consider the source. I knew not to fall into the trap of "rebuking" him this time because I knew it would get nowhere. DeLuca might have said it "tongue in cheek", but it went way over the top.

Now, getting back to the punks posing as preteens in this incident. I'd hate to imagine what would happen to them when some of them go to prison. At the same time, it was a horrible reminder of the depravity and wretchedness of humanity as a whole.

Boy, your cup sure is half empty (as I've noticed with most people who are very religious). I hate this way of thinking. The number of good and positive interactions between people outnumbers the bad or negative interactions by so much that it's not even close. They just don't make YouTube or fill the collection plate.

Boy, your cup sure is half empty (as I've noticed with most people who are very religious). I hate this way of thinking. The number of good and positive interactions between people outnumbers the bad or negative interactions by so much that it's not even close. They just don't make YouTube or fill the collection plate.

Like when a video of a cop tazing someone goes viral. Where's the video of a police officer doing his job the right way? Well we're not going to see that, it's not very interesting.

With all due respect, you missed my point. Having said that, overall, do you consider yourself a good person?

With all due respect, you missed my point. Having said that, overall, do you consider yourself a good person?

I didn't miss your point at all. I'm pretty sure you missed mine, though.

Here's a recap.

You said,"... it was a horrible reminder of the depravity and wretchedness of humanity as a whole."

Then I basically said, "If you only focus on the bad, then you won't realize how much more good there is."

And while irrelevant, yes, I am a good person.

Guest Sloth

Crossed the line on that one. I guess we can add a +1 on the negative interactions w/ the remark you just made.

Guest Sloth

Maybe, I don't know. Crosschecking did call humanity as a whole wretched and depraved...he had something coming for that.

My post was entirely based on the remark made by SwampD. He attempted to apply some type of poor stereotype to the people of any religious faith.

check that...$300,000 and climbing! I'd hire some hitmen for those brats!

Seriously, I'm starting to think this story is a fake. $300,000...we're talking 30,000 people donating $10 in this short amount of time. Really?

My post was entirely based on the remark made by SwampD. He attempted to apply some type of poor stereotype to the people of any religious faith.

Fair enough, he should have kept the insult directed at the one who earned it rather than generalize. That said, Crosschecking did deserve to get slapped for making his own awful generalization.

How about this, of the people I have met in my life, the ones that I would call very religious, are the ones with the bleakest outlook on humanity as a whole. It makes sense and there are two ways to look at it.

1-They already had that outlook and turned to religion for solace (can't really see how what I said could be taken as negative on this one).

2-Religion (read: its leaders) do everything they can instill this feeling in their congregations in order to take advantage of their "flocks" (I have seen this one first hand and saw how my friends' good intentions were being abused)

My intention was not to denegrate the #1s. It was to point out to the #2s that while there is some badness, there is a whole lot more goodness that we're not shown very often,.. by design.

Guest Sloth

How about this, of the people I have met in my life, the ones that I would call very religious, are the ones with the bleakest outlook on humanity as a whole. It makes sense and there are two ways to look at it.

1-They already had that outlook and turned to religion for solace (can't really see how what I said could be taken as negative on this one).

2-Religion (read: its leaders) do everything they can instill this feeling in their congregations in order to take advantage of their "flocks" (I have seen this one first hand and saw how my friends' good intentions were being abused)

My intention was not to denegrate the #1s. It was to point out to the #2s that while there is some badness, there is a whole lot more goodness that we're not shown very often,.. by design.

This is a simple continuation of your attempt to apply a negative stereotype to people w/ a religious faith. You base your beliefs and arguments solely on the people you know or have met. The two points you try to make back that up.

This is a simple continuation of your attempt to apply a negative stereotype to people w/ a religious faith. You base your beliefs and arguments solely on the people you know or have met. The two points you try to make back that up.

That is not really applying a stereotype thats more applying personal observation.

I have known very nice religous people and complete wackjob ones. Just as I have know many nice and civil agnostics and some wackjobs that flipped out cause I said bless you when they sneezed. But on the whole the religious wackos have outnumbered the agnostic wackos

Archived