If You Could Choose a Team To Play For

millbank

It would seem a obvious most would comment "The Buffalo Sabres" given this a Sabres board and that for many to play for team in home region would be for many a dream come true. But if you were able to sit down look at all the options in terms of what is best for you in terms of area, city, history of team, ownership, current management, monies available, which NHL team would you choose and why. Will admit as child this in the nineteen forties first starting to skate and play for Christmas asked not a Leaf or Montreal Canadian uniform but a Boston Bruin. As child they were my dream team. Today when I look at the various organizations if I had family member who could play so well as to have any option, my choice would be The "Detroit Red Wings" . To me from the owner, to the management, current coaching staff, fan base, looking from outside how players are treated to me The "Red Wings" would be at top of pole. This is not to disparage the Sabre or anyone else, no doubt to come play for the home team and be part of a long hoped for winner would be fabulous, but just making a selfish decision based on having as long and successful career as possible my choice would be Detroit.

There is no right of wrong answer to this , we all have our own dreams and opinions , so what is yours? :)

My dream as a young boy was to play for the Montreal Canadiens and score the Cup winning goal at the Forum. Growing up in Toronto this did not go over well with my playmates as a child.

From about age 10 that dream changed to me playing with the Sabres and being the only english guy on the French Connection and scoring the Cup winning goal at the Aud.

Now ... still the Sabres, but if not the Sabres ... unsure?

The only other team I could imagine playing for other than the Sabres would be the US Olympic team, lead by the Ghost of Herb Brooks.

interesting choice here.... the absolute thrill of being on your National team, winning a Olympic Gold Medal, or playing on NHL home team winning a Stanley Cup in your home town.... suppose in dream world why not both.... some have have done this..

I like it here, man. The housing market is cheap, the winter is cold, the summer is warm but not unbearable, the metro area is close to the farm country so the commute is short and relatively painless, but I wouldn't have to live in the city if I didn't want to. Plus as someone who is relatively low key and doesn't go for the club scene much, Buffalo's bar scene is a little divey and just my style.

Yeah, I'd stay in Buffalo.

I've lived a lot of places, and the only city I'd fight for, I mean really fight for, is hometown Buffalo. I'd go to war for that ###### town. Winning a Cup there would bring the community together so much more than other cities, it makes it the only one worth it. The off ice upside is that while I could make money anywhere, WNY is a great place to raise a family. I get what fuels Kaleta.

So, uh, those are my long term values I guess. Community and family. Two things Los Angeles routinely takes a dump all over.

The Montreal Canadiens... my cousin played goalie for them in the 1970's, and it would just be too cool despite the management fiasco there.

Your cousin is Ken Dryden ... way cool!

Speaking of their management fiasco ... this spring (2013) will mark the 20th year they have not won the cup (presumably they won't win it next year). I believe that to be the longest draught in team history.

in answering this, i am trying to imagine myself as someone who grew up where i did (in wny), but with the talent to play hockey at an elite level, to the point where teams are vying for my services. (yowza.) i think that changes the analysis, if you really try to immerse yourself in that mindset.

with that as a backdrop, i am telling my agent that these are the teams i would want to play for, all things being equal:

1. buffalo. the home team still wins out, especially with uncle terry at the helm and the cost of living being what it is.

2. montreal. i just love that city. plus, such history.

3. vancouver. i have much love for the pacific northwest.

4. new york (rangers). if it was a team and a place that gretzky was drawn to, it's good enough for me.

5. ottawa. potentially being part of a cup-winner in canada's capital and an "also-ran" town in the canadian hockey scene? yes, please.

6. boston. great town. original 6. plus, the sox, celtics, and patriots are there to take a lot of heat for your team.

ha... look so far not one Leaf dream.... remember as little boy walking toyland at Christmas picking up one of those bowling balls that told future, asking it if I would be a Maple Leaf one day and it saying "without a doubt". Still waiting , guess they always could come calling to get me to sell their hotdogs.... :blush:

Your cousin is Ken Dryden ... way cool!

Speaking of their management fiasco ... this spring (2013) will mark the 20th year they have not won the cup (presumably they won't win it next year). I believe that to be the longest draught in team history.

Nope, guess again! :) He was just as good as Dryden, which explains his Vezinas :)

Simple....all things being equal, Buffalo. But since they aren't.....and Lindy would bench me by day #3 for getting all up in his shi-ha....

1) NY Rangers - New York City where you could walk to the arena if you had to....have every possible choice imaginable for food, entertainment.....an airport where you can get a direct flight to 70% of the world and 100% of North America.....and I would love playing for Torts and Sather.....my type of guys.

2) Toronto - While they haven't had much success recently, still the hockey capitol of the world and a mini, cleaner NYC. If you don't mind pressure and the press.....the perfect place to play.

3) Philly - Tradition, toughness, passionate albeit crude fans, gritty city........would love it

4) Buffalo - Again....nostalgia would make this the #1 pick, but given current conditions there is no way I would jive with the system.

Simple....all things being equal, Buffalo. But since they aren't.....and Lindy would bench me by day #3 for getting all up in his shi-ha....

1) NY Rangers - New York City where you could walk to the arena if you had to....have every possible choice imaginable for food, entertainment.....an airport where you can get a direct flight to 70% of the world and 100% of North America.....and I would love playing for Torts and Sather.....my type of guys.

2) Toronto - While they haven't had much success recently, still the hockey capitol of the world and a mini, cleaner NYC. If you don't mind pressure and the press.....the perfect place to play.

3) Philly - Tradition, toughness, passionate albeit crude fans, gritty city........would love it

4) Buffalo - Again....nostalgia would make this the #1 pick, but given current conditions there is no way I would jive with the system.

Torts would bench you during the pre-game skate for getting all up in his shi-ha :P

Nope, guess again! :) He was just as good as Dryden, which explains his Vezinas :)

Well, in the early 70's they had a bunch of traveling salesmen as their other goalie. Around 74, or 75 (I think Dryden took off the 73 - 74 season to finish Law School, or something) and the bunnyman showed up and he was pretty much as good as Dryden. So, for the million $s, I'll guess that your cousin is the waskelly wabbit ... Michel "Bunny" Larocque.

The bunny?

Yes sir!

bunnylarocque2.jpg

RIP.

Should have known Chz would beat me to it ...

Sorry, but Chz is no "sir" ... to quote the great Tom Jones ... "she's a lady" ...

Archived