Stanley Cup Ratings

mrjsbu96

I guess I should not be surprised, but I thought with two of the bigger US markets involved in the SC that Buffalo would be in the Top 5, but #1???? Seriously? These have held up through the series, but it just speaks to how much this area supports hockey and I can only imagine what it would be region would be like and what the numbers would be like if the Sabres were in the finals...

Top Local Markets for Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Finals

• 1. Buffalo - 7.8/12
  • 2. New York - 5.1/8
  • t3. Los Angeles - 4.2/8
  • t3. Minneapolis/St. Paul - 4.2/8
  • t5. Pittsburgh - 3.5/6
  • t5. Oklahoma City - 3.5/5

Top 5 markets for Game 2:

Buffalo - 6.8

Los Angeles - 5.5

New York - 4.1

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 3.6

Pittsburgh - 3.4

These numbers sadden me a little as well as shock me. Its almost as we are all clinging on to hockey like we are clinging onto hope for our team. The disparity in ratings would be mind boggling if the sabres actually did something in the postseason.

These numbers sadden me a little as well as shock me. Its almost as we are all clinging on to hockey like we are clinging onto hope for our team. The disparity in ratings would be mind boggling if the sabres actually did something in the postseason.

Maybe we just really like hockey? We are half Canadian, after all.

5.1% of NY and 4.2 of LA is a hell of a lot more than 7.8 of Buffalo. Just sayin'.

If Buffalo were in the finals instead of NJ, lets say the NY market gets a 3%. Buffalo would need to get a 52% just to get an equal number of viewers. That's how big the size difference is.

5.1% of NY and 4.2 of LA is a hell of a lot more than 7.8 of Buffalo. Just sayin'.

If as a business your goal is market share, don't you want the same percentage regardless of the aggregate number? If a market is large, don't you want the same share of that large market as you do a small market?

If Buffalo were in the finals instead of NJ, lets say the NY market gets a 3%. Buffalo would need to get a 52% just to get an equal number of viewers. That's how big the size difference is.

IIRC, the last time we played the Rags in the playoffs, that's pretty much what happened, only it was a 1.4, not a 3.

If When the Sabres are back in the Finals, you really think they'll ONLY get a 52% share?

So you'd rather have 4.2% of LA than 7.8%?

If you are in business, your goal is to maximize profits( I know this is simplistic and Johnny Fever had a better explanation) and you make a hell of a lot more more selling to 4.2% of LA versus 7.8% of Buffalo. Its one of the reasons I always used to laugh when people complained about NYC had so many more choices on the radio then a city like Buffalo. 8 stations in NYC getting 12.5% of the market in NY are all going to make more money then two stations sharing 100% of the Buffalo market.

If you are in business, your goal is to maximize profits( I know this is simplistic and Johnny Fever had a better explanation) and you make a hell of a lot more more selling to 4.2% of LA versus 7.8% of Buffalo. Its one of the reasons I always used to laugh when people complained about NYC had so many more choices on the radio then a city like Buffalo. 8 stations in NYC getting 12.5% of the market in NY are all going to make more money then two stations sharing 100% of the Buffalo market.

Maximizing profits is one thing, but are you implying that there's basically an aggregate ceiling? That it's not possible to get the same percent share of a large market that can be gotten in a small market?

Maximizing profits is one thing, but are you implying that there's basically an aggregate ceiling? That it's not possible to get the same percent share of a large market that can be gotten in a small market?

Of course not. The implication is that the reason there is only 1 sports talk station in this town and several choices in a bigger metro area is that being second in WNY means you are bankrupt and being 3rd in NYC means you are thriving. That's the only point I was making. Can't speak for anyone else.

Guest Sloth

If When the Sabres are back in the Finals, you really think they'll ONLY get a 52% share?

Western New York has to have one of the most devoted fan bases in both the NHL and NFL. As much as I like to think Buffalo would get up to 52%, I have to think of the people who have no care for sports. I do not think Buffalo would get that high. It would be incredible if it did though.

Archived