Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Weave

Concerts you plan to attend this year

Recommended Posts

Been a while since this one saw the light of day!

I went to see the Arkells last week, and they are a blast every time. Canadian pop/rock band from Hamilton. They played the harbor a handful of times over the last couple of years. I don't even know their music that well, but hot damn do they put on a live show.

Then Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band is March 8 and I'm going to Cleveland(ish) to see PUP (another Canadian band) in early April. This might be the most shows I've gone to in this short a period of time outside of the Thursday shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempted to see the Reverend as well.

and there are a ton of rock and metal shows scheduled for this summer.

Its gonna be a loud concert year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit tonight in Cary, NC. They're co-headlining with Father John Misty who I'm not familiar with at all. As long as I bring the 100% deet insect spray it should be a fine time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the Robert Cray Band - Friday night in Rock Hill, SC.  They were excellent as always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wifey and her best friend from high school going to see ELO in July in Columbus.  We will go to see Kansas at the local arts festival and then in August, I hope to checkout Blue Oyster Cult in Portsmouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading to the Train/Goo Goo Dolls concert tonight at Verizon Amphitheater tonight.  Can’t wait to see Johnny and Robby for the first time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning to catch Slayer for the last time at the PNC arena in Raleigh on November 3rd. Tickets go on sale in 2 days.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Planning to catch Slayer for the last time at the PNC arena in Raleigh on November 3rd. Tickets go on sale in 2 days.

I saw that this is their final final FINAL farewell tour.. with Primus of all bands. 

I really wanna go. Haven't looked to see if they're near here at all... saw them last summer and it was awesome. Kindest circle pit I've ever had the pleasure of moshing in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought our tickets for Austin City Limits. Plan to go to the second Saturday as part of a trip to the Austin area for my cousin's wedding. Anyone ever been and have tips/recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, josie said:

I saw that this is their final final FINAL farewell tour.. with Primus of all bands. 

I really wanna go. Haven't looked to see if they're near here at all... saw them last summer and it was awesome. Kindest circle pit I've ever had the pleasure of moshing in.

I've seen them a dozen of so times in my life but I skipped their "final tour" last year because it happened during the summer at an outdoor venue and after doing that in 2017 I had no interest in baking in the heat again. I'm happy as hell that this year they'll be in Raleigh (2 hour drive for me) during the fall, even though I guess it doesn't matter as much given the indoor venue.

You're right about the mosh pits though. There's actually a modicum of respect given to each other in their pits. The worst pit I've ever seen was oddly enough at a Pennywise concert. Nothing but punches and swinging elbows and I'm just too damn old for that. I'd have to snort some angel dust first before I had any interest in that type of violence.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, Claude_Verret said:

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit tonight in Cary, NC. They're co-headlining with Father John Misty who I'm not familiar with at all. As long as I bring the 100% deet insect spray it should be a fine time.

How was this show? I don't know Isbell real well but I keep meaning to get aquainted. Misty is a little odd, but I like his stuff.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thievery Corporation in August

Motion City Soundtrack in January

 

re mosh pits ... I grew up in the punk rock/hardcore scene in the late 80’s/early/mid 90’s.  There is definitely a difference between slam dancing, and mosh pits.  Mosh pits started going downhill once the tough guy jocks thought it was hip to go to Green Day/Blink 182/Offspring concerts and tackle kids and clothesline them.  I loved seeing the veteran punk rock hard-core kids gang up on the few jocks and beat the living shiiiiii out of them. The jocks would leave quite bloodied wondering what they did wrong 😂

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in a couple rough pits, but mostly good ones. The kind where if someone falls, they all pull you up, if someone's being a dick, they get their ***** wrecked. The bad ones were when I was younger at small local metal/punk shows and everyone was just trying to prove they weren't posers by getting bloodied up. But yeah, the Slayer pit last year was probably the nicest one I've ever been in. It was kinda amazing. Everyone was just so happy to be there. Now, a week later at the Rob Zombie/Manson show, it was a bit rougher because the people were much more the hot topic edgelord drug crowd. I didn't go into any, I was feeling old and tired and had to go to work in the morning. 

 

This year is like... embarrassing bands I liked when I was in 7th grade... so Alice in Chains (which'll never be AiC without Layne but my friend says they're good live) with Korn... lol... and then Knotfest, not because I've ever been a Slipknot fan (but I hear they're a spectacle to see) but because Gojira and Behemoth are playing. Could be great, could be terrible- both at Darien Lake 

And then sabills and his lady and dark and I are going to Detroit for Black Keys in October. Saw them once a few years back- it was a good time. Looking forward to it. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sabills said:

How was this show? I don't know Isbell real well but I keep meaning to get aquainted. Misty is a little odd, but I like his stuff.

Awesome as usual. I've seen JI probably four or five times now and he often gets labeled as americana or country....this is not true of his live shows at all. Jason and the 400 Unit put on a good old fashioned rock n roll show. 

I must admit that I was little disappointed that his wife Amanda who usually plays fiddle wasnt there for this one. She is quite easy on the eyes.

 

rs-245729-GettyImages-539861504.jpg

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Saturday my son and I will be at ArtPark to see The Headstones.  Canadian Punk/Grunge for you heathens unaware of 97.7 FM.  They might be my favorite live band,  We see them every time they swing around to Buffalo/Niagara Falls.  They put on a straight up rock your ass off show without all of the expensive toys.

We've got VIP tix for Slipknot later this Summer.   Josie, they aren't the spectacle they used to be.  Their shows have tamed.  I'm sure it's got to do with them getting older.  Their shows up to about 5-6 years ago were an experience for sure.

 

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing the goo goo dolls when they opened up for punk rock bands at the River Rock Cafe in the late 80’s where the crowd was 150 people and Robbie sang most of the songs 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I remember seeing the goo goo dolls when they opened up for punk rock bands at the River Rock Cafe in the late 80’s where the crowd was 150 people and Robbie sang most of the songs 😂

It was a really fun show.  The Dolls sounded great.  They have a new album coming out and the song they played "Miracle Pill" was excellent.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alice in Chains/Korn

Breaking Benjamin

Slipknot and Volbeat

Slayer

And hoping to get tickets to see The Original Misfits in NYC when they go on sale

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:50 PM, Weave said:

This Saturday my son and I will be at ArtPark to see The Headstones.  Canadian Punk/Grunge for you heathens unaware of 97.7 FM.  They might be my favorite live band,  We see them every time they swing around to Buffalo/Niagara Falls.  They put on a straight up rock your ass off show without all of the expensive toys.

We've got VIP tix for Slipknot later this Summer.   Josie, they aren't the spectacle they used to be.  Their shows have tamed.  I'm sure it's got to do with them getting older.  Their shows up to about 5-6 years ago were an experience for sure.

 

I'm going to see Slipknot when they come to VA. I saw that twice at the Ozzfest, so it will be nice to see them again. I like Volbeat a lot and they put on a good show, so I'm glad they're one of the openers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, josie said:

I've been in a couple rough pits, but mostly good ones. The kind where if someone falls, they all pull you up, if someone's being a dick, they get their ***** wrecked. The bad ones were when I was younger at small local metal/punk shows and everyone was just trying to prove they weren't posers by getting bloodied up. But yeah, the Slayer pit last year was probably the nicest one I've ever been in. It was kinda amazing. Everyone was just so happy to be there. Now, a week later at the Rob Zombie/Manson show, it was a bit rougher because the people were much more the hot topic edgelord drug crowd. I didn't go into any, I was feeling old and tired and had to go to work in the morning. 

 

This year is like... embarrassing bands I liked when I was in 7th grade... so Alice in Chains (which'll never be AiC without Layne but my friend says they're good live) with Korn... lol... and then Knotfest, not because I've ever been a Slipknot fan (but I hear they're a spectacle to see) but because Gojira and Behemoth are playing. Could be great, could be terrible- both at Darien Lake 

And then sabills and his lady and dark and I are going to Detroit for Black Keys in October. Saw them once a few years back- it was a good time. Looking forward to it. 

I saw Slayer earlier this year in MD and I'm going again in November when they come to VA. I saw Alice In Chains last year and I was impressed with their new singer, he sounds a lot like Layne in concert.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Drunkard said:

I've seen them a dozen of so times in my life but I skipped their "final tour" last year because it happened during the summer at an outdoor venue and after doing that in 2017 I had no interest in baking in the heat again. I'm happy as hell that this year they'll be in Raleigh (2 hour drive for me) during the fall, even though I guess it doesn't matter as much given the indoor venue.

You're right about the mosh pits though. There's actually a modicum of respect given to each other in their pits. The worst pit I've ever seen was oddly enough at a Pennywise concert. Nothing but punches and swinging elbows and I'm just too damn old for that. I'd have to snort some angel dust first before I had any interest in that type of violence.

Best pits are still the old thrash metal bands as everyone is there to have a good time bashing into each other and pick each other off the ground after getting knocked down. The worst pit I saw was when Sick of it All opened for Slayer years ago, nothing but punches, elbows and kicks in the pit.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...