NHL becoming WWE

papazoid

I don't mind at all what Crosby has been up to. I will draw a line somewhere south of Neal's antics at the end of the game though. I suppose it is plainly obvious that I am highly entertained by hockey fights, and Neal's end-of-game exploits sure resulted in quality entertainment for me, but I really don't want to see the head hunting. I want to see Coutourier playing. I want to see Giroux playing. I want to see Alfredsson playing. If the fights break out because of intensity and dislike, or heck a fight that breaks out over a clean hit, I'm all for it and say "more please". But I don't want to see deliberate intents to injure because I want to see the Girouxs on the ice too. I would endorse extremely severe punishments for antics like the ones Asham and Neal put on display, and minimize the punishments for instances like Adams end-of-game instigator.

But that's just me.

All of this is why I love seeing Brian Boyle score the loan goal against Ottawa last night (and it pains me to say this since he was a major thorn in the side of BU fans during his BC days). He took that petty thug attack from Carkner (why is this guy even in the league... don't answer that) and bounces back and beats them the next game. That's the greatest response of all, score the game winning goal that sends the home fans home sad.

All bad, but thankfully, none have gotten to this point. Still the wildest incident I've ever heard of. Any guesses as to what Shanahan would hit Geoffrion with discipline-wise if this happened now?

At least a 2500 $ fine would be warranted.

All bad, but thankfully, none have gotten to this point. Still the wildest incident I've ever heard of. Any guesses as to what Shanahan would hit Geoffrion with discipline-wise if this happened now?

Questions:

• Was it playoffs?
  • Was the other guy out for any period of time?
  • Did Geffrion see the other guy was there?

The day one of those stick battles returns to the NHL is the day I abandon the NHL for good.

Would you be surprised if something like that happened this year? We're almost on schedule. Ciccarelli's incident was in '88, McSorley concussing Brashear was in 2000...unfortunately, it seems like the current direction and lack of respect for fellow players could mean we're "due." :(

Would you be surprised if something like that happened this year? We're almost on schedule. Ciccarelli's incident was in '88, McSorley concussing Brashear was in 2000...unfortunately, it seems like the current direction and lack of respect for fellow players could mean we're "due." :(

I blame the Sun. Those pesky CMEs make everyone crazy.

Questions:

• Was it playoffs?
  • Was the other guy out for any period of time?
  • Did Geffrion see the other guy was there?

Did he attempt to not hit him?

Was the hit .5 seconds or less after the player was near him?

Does he play for the Boston Bruins?

Does he have a history of throwing a hit?

Did he leave his feet at anytime during the swing

With the way the rulings have gone so far, I would be surprised theres a suspension for something like that today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-04-18/brian-burke-comments-on-nhl-suspensions/54383282/1

Brian Burke

"This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock," Burke said. "Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history."

"I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line," Burke said. "But this is a small number of incidents, and it's unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It's awesome."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-04-18/brian-burke-comments-on-nhl-suspensions/54383282/1

Brian Burke

"This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock," Burke said. "Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history."

"I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line," Burke said. "But this is a small number of incidents, and it's unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It's awesome."

Yup, no Sedin or Hossa in the playoffs. Great hockey.

The joke league NHL brought this on themselves. In their misguided effort to clean up the game they are on the track to destroy it. The solution in my eyes is to get rid of the instigator penalty and reinstate fighting as the proper regulator of the kind of crap we're seeing in this years playoffs. Since the referees are unable to properly protect players under the rules, there needs to be some real consequences for crossing the line.

Man, are you sour lately. I have found this years playoffs to be the most entertaining in years.

The playoffs are great this year. But they'd be a lot better with out the absence of some of the NHLs marquis names. Imagine if Crosby hadn't returned in time to lose to the Flyers?

Burke is an ######.

The playoffs are great this year. But they'd be a lot better with out the absence of some of the NHLs marquis names. Imagine if Crosby hadn't returned in time to lose to the Flyers?

Burke is an ######.

Burke is only saying that because he knows his stars will never be exposed to playoff hockey ;) . I'd assume that if Kessel were carted off on a stretcher, his opinion would be different. Just like Dave Tippett probably wouldn't think it was just a guy "finishing his check" if Shane Doan or Keith Yandle were carted off. They're all a bunch of hypocrites.

The joke league NHL brought this on themselves. In their misguided effort to clean up the game they are on the track to destroy it. The solution in my eyes is to get rid of the instigator penalty and reinstate fighting as the proper regulator of the kind of crap we're seeing in this years playoffs. Since the referees are unable to properly protect players under the rules, there needs to be some real consequences for crossing the line.

I'm not convinced removing the instigator would do anything. It didn't prevent these types of hits before--the difference now is we know far more about what concussions really are and the long-term consequences on people, and hits that used to be acceptable no longer are.

Yup, no Sedin or Hossa in the playoffs. Great hockey.

To him it would be great hockey, his team are crap.

Man, are you sour lately. I have found this years playoffs to be the most entertaining in years.

I love cheap shots, watching Weber smack someone's face into the glass, watching players get taken out on intent to injure plays. Wonderful.

http://www.usatoday....ions/54383282/1

Brian Burke

Small number of incidents? Really? From the Burnside article I count 8 pretty high profile, suspendable incidents in what, 24-ish games?

Burke is an ######.

Yup.

But hey, no Brian Burke and Toronto either. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

:lol:

Small number of incidents? Really? From the Burnside article I count 8 pretty high profile, suspendable incidents in what, 24-ish games?

It's happening on a nightly basis. Maybe the matchups played out perfectly for these kind of things, but the rate is alarming either way.

Archived