NHL becoming WWE

papazoid

From my point of view (fan since the late-70's), the amount of fighting in the game and in the playoffs has decreased from what it used to be. I'm also pretty sure the number of cheap shots isn't much different than what it used to be. The difference is we now have 40 cameras watching every square inch of the ice and show every hit and cheap shot over and over on 50 different sports networks. So that gives the perception that things are worse now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFOeBVPFT6I&feature=related

Not to mention that this took place in one of the old hockey shrines. I have no idea if this was at Chicago Stadium or at Maple Leaf Gardens - but just like the old barns and classic brawls had a feel to them, the new arenas and the new rules might as well have neutered the game.

Seriously what do you want to see a game like the NBA where top players act like they have been shot everytime they are touched and the rest can get mugged for even thinking about doing the same. I agree the on ice officiating sucked, And the reason for the craziness was the lack of control by the refs on cheap shots.

But hey folks this isn't the NBA nor the NFL which I think are both mired in dulleness and corporate staging. The NBA is pathetic and the way the NFL is going with protecting wide receivers etc and to an extent the QB. Though the 49ers put a beating on Manning in the NFC game so it is still there.

It is called playoff hockey the reason none of want Roy or Stafford on the team anymore, because none of them can take the heat. This isn't the WWE/F or whatever. The NBA is more staged and so it appears is the NFL.

That being said, I think the on ice refs did nothing to control the game especially in the Ranger Ottowa series and it is being settled on the ice. I am not sure I would want that changed.

P.S. Love the Photographer with the big old bulb flash is standing in the middle of the ice taking photos as the players are skating around in the video.

Not to mention that this took place in one of the old hockey shrines. I have no idea if this was at Chicago Stadium or at Maple Leaf Gardens - but just like the old barns and classic brawls had a feel to them, the new arenas and the new rules might as well have neutered the game.

'Hawks were in white so I'm guesing it was the former, but it's just a guess.

If the playoffs are going to look like this, then idk what I want the sabres roster to look like next year. I couldn't imagine what the sabres would look like on the ice during these playoffs.

things usually settle down by the end of the first round.

What is unusual are the amount of cheapshots, not the physical play.

From my point of view (fan since the late-70's), the amount of fighting in the game and in the playoffs has decreased from what it used to be. I'm also pretty sure the number of cheap shots isn't much different than what it used to be. The difference is we now have 40 cameras watching every square inch of the ice and show every hit and cheap shot over and over on 50 different sports networks. So that gives the perception that things are worse now...

Eddie Shack, Larry Hilman and Reggie Flemming! Oh, back in the day ... (Maple Leaf Gardens).

What is unusual are the amount of cheapshots, not the physical play.

This is the part that is truly surprising to me. If any of those epic bench brawls from the 80's era had this many cheapshots involved to start them I don't remember it. This is a ridiculous year for cheapshots. Hopefully it is an outlier.

This is the part that is truly surprising to me. If any of those epic bench brawls from the 80's era had this many cheapshots involved to start them I don't remember it. This is a ridiculous year for cheapshots. Hopefully it is an outlier.

I agree and it seems to have building despite the alleged Shanny crack down. It may because of the way the Bruins won the cup last year and everyone is copying... the NHL has gone European on us. I remember the complaint about the Europeans when they first started playing in the NHL and even during the Olympics or international play was all the stick work and it seems to have finally hit a critical mass.

That part I could do without. Maybe they should just get rid of helmets and then these guys would have to cut it out or end up dead? Not likely, but he nothing like self preservation to make you think twice about doing this crap.

I agree and it seems to have building despite the alleged Shanny crack down. It may because of the way the Bruins won the cup last year and everyone is copying... the NHL has gone European on us. I remember the complaint about the Europeans when they first started playing in the NHL and even during the Olympics or international play was all the stick work and it seems to have finally hit a critical mass.

That part I could do without. Maybe they should just get rid of helmets and then these guys would have to cut it out or end up dead? Not likely, but he nothing like self preservation to make you think twice about doing this crap.

The bolded part has me thinking...... (always dangerous I know)

When Edmonton was dominant teams tried to build a team that could keep with them. When Jersey showed everyone what a disciplined trap system could do lots of teams copied them. Lots of teams pay lip service to trying to copy Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the violent play might have something to do with the success Boston had last season.

Or maybe not.....

The NHL is a joke. I love hockey but it's becoming silly.

From very poor officials (I long for Andy van hellemond)

From Shanny. (Weber should have gotten a game, but nope. Now look at it out there)

From the NHL calling games super tightly and zero tolerance to the game looking like the late 90's again.

I get so frustrated trying to understand calls nowadays.

From the ridiculous over the glass penalty.

I don't mind fighting because of intense hockey but I can't stand the Asham plays.

I'm all over the map, I know, but this sport is being ruined by everyone, players included.

Does anyone else remember the Avalanche/Red Wing rivalry? Kris Draper's face against the boards? The Red Wings going after Lemieux? Goalie fights at center ice. Those games were as nasty, if not more, than anything we have seen so far and that was one of the greatest rivalries of all time. Sorry gents, if you don't like the uber-physical play in these playoffs than you probably are reading this after washing your panties in the bathroom sink.

Does anyone else remember the Avalanche/Red Wing rivalry? Kris Draper's face against the boards? The Red Wings going after Lemieux? Goalie fights at center ice. Those games were as nasty, if not more, than anything we have seen so far and that was one of the greatest rivalries of all time. Sorry gents, if you don't like the uber-physical play in these playoffs than you probably are reading this after washing your panties in the bathroom sink.

Nope. Washed them earlier today so I can watch the Rags-Sens. :P

Sorry gents, if you enjoy deliberate attempts to injure and cause long-term, possibly life-altering injuries, then you're probably a neanderthal who belongs back in the days of gladiators.

Pointless insults are fun, right?

Has anybody complained about physical play? About hitting? About corner battles? The complaints come from the blatant cheap shots and the NHL's complete inability to curb that behavior. But whatever.

Sorry gents, if you enjoy deliberate attempts to injure and cause long-term, possibly life-altering injuries, then you're probably a neanderthal who belongs back in the days of gladiators.

Has anybody complained about physical play? About hitting? About corner battles? The complaints come from the blatant cheap shots and the NHL's complete inability to curb that behavior. But whatever.

Amen to that. All I want the NHL to do is take care of the stupid stuff that I wouldn't want to put up with if I was playing. Letting the mongoloids of the NHL dictate what is considered "good sportsmanship" is seriously messed up.

This is hockey not Tennis. It is a game best played on the edge. If it goes over that edge even better. When you have players like Crosby and Neal willing to get involved, that is tremendous.

I guess Lindy is sapping the toughness out of the fans as well as his players.

Amen to that. All I want the NHL to do is take care of the stupid stuff that I wouldn't want to put up with if I was playing. Letting the mongoloids of the NHL dictate what is considered "good sportsmanship" is seriously messed up.

Agree 100%, can't let goons like Crosby and Neal take over the league, :lol:

Agree 100%, can't let goons like Crosby and Neal take over the league, :lol:

I don't mind at all what Crosby has been up to. I will draw a line somewhere south of Neal's antics at the end of the game though. I suppose it is plainly obvious that I am highly entertained by hockey fights, and Neal's end-of-game exploits sure resulted in quality entertainment for me, but I really don't want to see the head hunting. I want to see Coutourier playing. I want to see Giroux playing. I want to see Alfredsson playing. If the fights break out because of intensity and dislike, or heck a fight that breaks out over a clean hit, I'm all for it and say "more please". But I don't want to see deliberate intents to injure because I want to see the Girouxs on the ice too. I would endorse extremely severe punishments for antics like the ones Asham and Neal put on display, and minimize the punishments for instances like Adams end-of-game instigator.

But that's just me.

This is hockey not Tennis. It is a game best played on the edge. If it goes over that edge even better. When you have players like Crosby and Neal willing to get involved, that is tremendous.

I guess Lindy is sapping the toughness out of the fans as well as his players.

This is where we disagree. I see nothing positive out of a guy taking multiple runs to knock the skulls off of players. Physical play is a part of hockey, and an important one....but deliberate attempts to injure somebody by lunging at their head is not part of the game, and nothing to be glorified. Having an arthritic shoulder as a result of playing physical, and having early onset dementia or Alzheimer's because of cheap head hits, are not equivalently equal risks of playing a sport.

And if Lindy is sapping my toughness, at least I'll have my brain :P

I don't mind at all what Crosby has been up to. I will draw a line somewhere south of Neal's antics at the end of the game though. I suppose it is plainly obvious that I am highly entertained by hockey fights, and Neal's end-of-game exploits sure resulted in quality entertainment for me, but I really don't want to see the head hunting. I want to see Coutourier playing. I want to see Giroux playing. I want to see Alfredsson playing. If the fights break out because of intensity and dislike, or heck a fight that breaks out over a clean hit, I'm all for it and say "more please". But I don't want to see deliberate intents to injure because I want to see the Girouxs on the ice too. I would endorse extremely severe punishments for antics like the ones Asham and Neal put on display, and minimize the punishments for instances like Adams end-of-game instigator.

But that's just me.

You certainly enjoy fights more than I do (largely because I think most fights end up being terrible), but I think I largely agree with what you're saying here.

You certainly enjoy fights more than I do (largely because I think most fights end up being terrible), but I think I largely agree with what you're saying here.

Try frilly panties in the Winter and commando in Summer. It might change your outlook.

I do. I circled the rematch on my calander, too. I wore a suit, sat in a box, and chanted "we want RAY!"

The NHL is a joke. I love hockey but it's becoming silly.

From very poor officials (I long for Andy van hellemond)

From Shanny. (Weber should have gotten a game, but nope. Now look at it out there)

From the NHL calling games super tightly and zero tolerance to the game looking like the late 90's again.

I get so frustrated trying to understand calls nowadays.

From the ridiculous over the glass penalty.

I do agree that guys are absolutely killing each other all over the ice and it is fine, but don't flip the puck over the boards by accident or you'll find yourself if the box feeling shame!

Archived