NHL becoming WWE

papazoid

I'm not convinced removing the instigator would do anything. It didn't prevent these types of hits before--the difference now is we know far more about what concussions really are and the long-term consequences on people, and hits that used to be acceptable no longer are.

I am convinced it would. I completely disagree that we've always had this amount of cheap and dirty hits in hockey. Obviously, there will always be transgressions, but they will go way down if there are real consequences. As long as the league is not serious about protecting it's players, hockey would benefit from the return of the pure enforcer.

An even better solution would be that the league actually took the problem seriously and start handing down some meaningful discipline. I would not be against seeing 10 and even 20 game suspensions for deliberately targeting the head for example, also for repeat offenders season long suspensions would not be amiss.

At the current rate, the NHL is turning into a bush league and the sport is losing relevance as a result.

Welcome to the goon show:

PHILADELPHIA -- That the NHL's safety and discipline machine is broken is patently clear.

Look at any headline or highlight from the opening week of the playoffs, and what do you see?

Marian Hossa taken off the United Center ice on a stretcher after being filled in by serial predator Raffi Torres.

Shea Weber cracking Henrik Zetterberg's head off the end glass in Nashville.

Arron Asham crosschecking Brayden Schenn in the throat then punching the defenseless Flyers player in the head.

Want more? Oh there's plenty.

Nicklas Backstrom crosschecking Rich Peverley in the face at the end of a game in Washington.

Andrew Shaw decking Phoenix netminder Mike Smith behind the Coyotes' net in Phoenix.

Carl Hagelin elbowing Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson in the head.

James Neal leveling an unsuspecting Sean Couturier then chasing down Claude Giroux later in the game and leaving the Flyers star wobbled.

Matt Carkner continuously pummeling a fallen Brian Boyle.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7828867/national-hockey-league-disciplinarians-need-find-solution-prevent-recent-rash-dirty-play

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393538

The hockey guru/genius up the QEW doesn't see a problem with whats been going on. He compared it to people complaining about rain at woodstock.

And no, I wasn't refering to Don Cherry..............

Its funny that even though he's not in the playoffs that blowhard finds a way to interject himself into the spotlight. You are not relevant right now Brian. Go watch the Marlies.

• 2 weeks later...

What I find funny amidst all of the crying this playoffs (yes, I feel it is crying), is that this has been the highest rated first round of the playoffs, ever.

1) That's somewhat skewed, since it's also the first time in history that every game has been nationally televised.

2) If you're using ratings to determine how things should be....then every show on TV should be American Idol.

1) That's somewhat skewed, since it's also the first time in history that every game has been nationally televised.

2) If you're using ratings to determine how things should be....then every show on TV should be American Idol.

1. I'm sure this has something to do with it. I think it is fantastic what NBC is doing with/for hockey this year and I'm not just saying that because they sign my checks.

2.Um, every show is American Idol. :lol:

1. I'm sure this has something to do with it. I think it is fantastic what NBC is doing with/for hockey this year and I'm not just saying that because they sign my checks.

1) Absolutely agree, love what NBC is doing. And they don't sign my checks, so there ;)

2) That makes me cry a little inside....because it's true :(

What I find funny amidst all of the crying this playoffs (yes, I feel it is crying), is that this has been the highest rated first round of the playoffs, ever.

Highest rated in the US, highest rated overall, or other?

Bringing Mike Milbury into our homes on a nightly basis? :unsure:

And Idol gets 40 million viewers per show.

Archived