GDT - Buffalo @ Philadelphia - 4/5/2012 - 7:00pm

darksabre

Enroth played 25 games this year - Miller was fantastic January on. Tell me how you would have played Enroth at any point the last two months the way Miller was playing. Making moves in hindsight is easy

Hindsight is the only leg Deluca has to stand on anyway.

It's Lindy's fault that Tyler broke his foot? :unsure:

You mean you didn't read the Kevin Sylvester blog from last week where Lindy insisted Rip Simonick replace the D core's hockey blades with Olympic grade figure skates? Lindy hates toughness but he loves Triple Salchows in the defensive zone.

;)

Enroth played 25 games this year - Miller was fantastic January on. Tell me how you would have played Enroth at any point the last two months the way Miller was playing. Making moves in hindsight is easy

I'd have put him in against Pittsburgh on Friday night.

The Pens were planning on playing Buffalo's traditional pinata Johnson. They were planning on giving that game away. Why not play Enroth in the game against the 'better' team that weekend? If he wins it's a bonus and you are definitely in the driver seat; if he loses, yes, you've given the edge to the Caps but did anybody really expect them to run the table?

Ryan played his only 2 weak games since the AS break this past weekend. The main criticism I have of the HC is he has no feel for when to swap out his goalies. If you plan on splitting the goalies over the weekend (and I wouldn't be shocked if that wasn't the plan, though it should have been), play the backup in the 1st game, so if you lose, it doesn't mess up the plan and if you win, you're that much further ahead.

Leino was more concerned about getting out so he could go talk to his buddies in the Philly locker room? If this is true, I say FU Leino! I was actually supporting you the second half of the season for trying to help the team in other aspects since you couldn't get your head out of your ass long enough to score more than 8 goals this season. Stay in the locker and suck it up with everybody else who ran for the bus for 30 games while this team lost 12 in a row on the road. You're just taking up cap space, if nobody wants your contract I say you get cut to free up some space for somebody who really does care.

The Pens were planning on playing Buffalo's traditional pinata Johnson. They were planning on giving that game away. Why not play Enroth in the game against the 'better' team that weekend? If he wins it's a bonus and you are definitely in the driver seat; if he loses, yes, you've given the edge to the Caps but did anybody really expect them to run the table?

Ryan played his only 2 weak games since the AS break this past weekend. The main criticism I have of the HC is he has no feel for when to swap out his goalies. If you plan on splitting the goalies over the weekend (and I wouldn't be shocked if that wasn't the plan, though it should have been), play the backup in the 1st game, so if you lose, it doesn't mess up the plan and if you win, you're that much further ahead.

Ruff's use of the backup goalie has always been, and remains, a legitimate basis for criticism. But once that deep into trouble, and without 57 and 10, it is tough to pull Enroth into a must-win game.

This is exactly how I felt, particularly considering Pittsburgh is one team that Miller has consistently struggled against in his career and Enroth has had some of his better games against the Pens. On the other hand, the Sabres had played only once in the previous 5 days. I'd need to take a hard look at other goalies down the stretch but I suspect the schedule isn't quite as out of the ordinary as it appears--- but this is absolutely a recurring coaching flaw with Lindy over the years.

other teams with playoff positioning on the line managed to get their starter some rest and give their backup some games. it didnt hamper their chances at all. riding miller didnt work but ruff will never learn. just one example of why ruff is a tier or two below the elite coaches in the nhl.

Ruff's use of the backup goalie has always been, and remains, a legitimate basis for criticism. But once that deep into trouble, and without 57 and 10, it is tough to pull Enroth into a must-win game.

Except they were at a point where, if you expect the Caps to not run the table, they had A non-must-win game there. And even if the Caps ran the table from that point, they were in a must-not-lose-in-regulation situation there. Had the Sabres lost in OT that night, 4-0-0 would have given the Caps no recourse except to pass the Cats.

That is my major criticism of Mr. Ruff. He has absolutely no idea how to relate to goalies nor how to work them. Though I am a BIG Jim Corsi fan (his autographing his book on my birthday has NOTHING to do w/ that), I am disappointed that he can't convince the HC how to improve his goaltender management.

You know what they say about hindsight. Had Ruff gone with Enroth for a game and they lost and the Sabres missed out on the playoffs, everybody would have been calling for his head. I've never been a big fan of Miller, I think he is weak minded and his slumps don't usually end quickly (inured or not). But, when he is good, he's usually good for a long time. I blame Ruff and the front office for relying on him too much. It's just too many eggs in one basket. Miller was key in getting this team to where they were before they started this game, but he was also a big part of their total collapse mid-season.

Except they were at a point where, if you expect the Caps to not run the table, they had A non-must-win game there. And even if the Caps ran the table from that point, they were in a must-not-lose-in-regulation situation there. Had the Sabres lost in OT that night, 4-0-0 would have given the Caps no recourse except to pass the Cats.

That is my major criticism of Mr. Ruff. He has absolutely no idea how to relate to goalies nor how to work them. Though I am a BIG Jim Corsi fan (his autographing his book on my birthday has NOTHING to do w/ that), I am disappointed that he can't convince the HC how to improve his goaltender management.

I get it. I don't think that Friday night's rest would have translated into Saturday night's win. Ehrhoff and Myers are BIG losses; Enroth proved earlier in the year that he's not ready for prime time yet (and may have not looked good in practice, we don't know); and it was a home game.

But I always have had--and anyone can look back at my pre-season posts--a problem with how the backup is managed. Why Ruff cannot break a season down into 20 four-game blocks, and assign the backup to one of each four, remains beyond me. Why that might change late in the year, with the playoffs (or even playoff positioning) on the line, I understand. But the goaltending plan from the beginning is to not have a plan, and that is my major complaint with the guy.

It doesn't help that when he started as a head coach, he had a goalie who could play about 120 regular season games and still have playoff energy.

That said, I'm looking forward to Ruff next year, and the year after that, too. It's a problem that he needs to work on, but it's not fatal to his ability as a coach, IMO.

I get it. I don't think that Friday night's rest would have translated into Saturday night's win. Ehrhoff and Myers are BIG losses; Enroth proved earlier in the year that he's not ready for prime time yet (and may have not looked good in practice, we don't know); and it was a home game.

But I always have had--and anyone can look back at my pre-season posts--a problem with how the backup is managed. Why Ruff cannot break a season down into 20 four-game blocks, and assign the backup to one of each four, remains beyond me. Why that might change late in the year, with the playoffs (or even playoff positioning) on the line, I understand. But the goaltending plan from the beginning is to not have a plan, and that is my major complaint with the guy.

It doesn't help that when he started as a head coach, he had a goalie who could play about 120 regular season games and still have playoff energy.

That said, I'm looking forward to Ruff next year, and the year after that, too. It's a problem that he needs to work on, but it's not fatal to his ability as a coach, IMO.

If you didn't have an issue with how he handles the goalies I'd have an issue with whether you knew as much about this game as you appear to. (Or something to that effect.)

I honestly believe part of how he can't figure out how to handle a backup goes back to where he benched Hasek a game or 2 his 1st season and he caught holy hell for it.

As good a coach as he is come playoff time, he is equally as bad at managing the goalies during the regular season.

I'm kind of shocked and disappointed at all of the Ruff and Regier apologists on this board. Somehow DeLuca67 has become a voice of reason here. It's bad enough that there is no accountability within the Sabres organization. It's even worse, however, to see all the loyalist fans continue to accept two guys who have failed to lead the team into the second round of the playoffs for FIVE straight years. It's unheard of for any other NHL franchise to keep a mediocre GM and HC around for as long as the Sabres have. We are a ###### laughingstock around the league now for this specific reason.

I cringed when Myers and Ehrhoff went down, not just for the fact that we lost two good players, but because I KNEW these two would be the latest excuse Ruff and Regier could use for their team to choke once again in clutch situations. The Sabres will miss the playoffs by 1-4 points this season. Sure, let's assume they blew 6 points to the Penguins, Leafs, and Flyers solely due to Myers and Ehrhoff's injuries. But what about all those other points during the season that were not captured when Myers and Ehrhoff were healthy? Did we forget about those other games already?

Personally, I am done supporting the Sabres with my money and my time until Pegula decides to drop his hardcore schoolgirl crushes on Ruff and Regier and start holding his franchise accountable. Good day and good night, SabreSpace faithful.

He did? For a rookie, I thought he looked very composed and played well. How is a player to gain experience in/for situations other than playing?

It's Lindy's fault that Tyler broke his foot? :unsure:

Myers' poor play prior to is.

There were many games on the schedule that Enroth could have played. Ruff's inability to properly use his goaltenders has been a long standing complaint of Lindy Ruff, that is not the definition of hindsight.

Hindsight is the only leg Deluca has to stand on anyway.

Why do you use that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

4 final fours in his tenure. Gimme the list of teams.

And it's "know," FFS. Let's get some basics down, regardless of consumption.

4 final fours and a 1-3 record, as GoDD likes to point out, ZERO series wins in five years and 8 sub .500 seasons.

Ruff's tenure can be broken down as simply as The Hasek Years, Two Seasons Post Lockout, Miller's Vezina year and too many playoff misses. That's Ruff's career which totals to 14 seasons and ZERO championships.

Way to go boys....lose 3 out of 4 in regulation in the most desperate, critical time of the year. Golf clap for making things interesting in March but overall, this team deserved what it got. Really disappointed they couldn't even get these late season losses to OT to at least get the loser point and give themselves a chance vs. Boston.

Myers' poor play prior to is.

I guess we're just not watching the same game. I thougth Myers was playing some pretty good hockey out there the second half of the year. The last four games really showed how valuable he is to this team IMO. The reason for the Sabres turnaround the second half of the year (as I see it) was the Foligno/Ennis/Stafford line and the considerably better play from Ehrhoff and Myers (which lead to the better play of Miller).

tough loss. disappointing end to the season.

one of the local writers re-tweeted an out of town writer's observation that the 2011-2012 sabres did what the 2010-2011 devils did -- made a heroic run after they were left for dead and then fell just short. so, maybe we bounce back next year, like the devils did this year.

i will add this: last night's game was pretty clearly a forecast of what the team would have looked like in the playoffs. i was not a big fan of what i saw (rayzer's constant adulations notwithstanding).

I guess we're just not watching the same game. I thougth Myers was playing some pretty good hockey out there the second half of the year. The last four games really showed how valuable he is to this team IMO. The reason for the Sabres turnaround the second half of the year (as I see it) was the Foligno/Ennis/Stafford line and the considerably better play from Ehrhoff and Myers (which lead to the better play of Miller).

Good post man........I think if the Hoff and Myers had state healthy we make the playoffs.

Worst final 3 minutes of a "desperate" team I've ever seen. Philly was toying with the Sabres playing keep away. The Flyers probably could not stop laughing after that game. They weren't even trying that hard. Really, the Sabres in the playoffs would have been toast. At least now they can regroup, make changes and not delude themselves into thinking they are better than they really are.

Archived