GDT - Buffalo @ Philadelphia - 4/5/2012 - 7:00pm

darksabre

1. No one should be questioning his effort. Find one other player on this team wiling to stand in front of the net and take a pounding all game long, all season long.

2. He's playing hurt. Because of Point #1. But he keeps at it, so I'm wondering why his effort must be so terrible.

3. Vanek is overpaid but that really only matters for the salary cap. And since the free agent market is usually pretty bad, I wouldn't deal Vanek just to free up cap space.

4. Being paid "big time" money doesn't make you any more capable of being a "big time" player. If you double a guy's salary, he's not going to play twice as well. If you cut his pay in half, he's not going to be half the player. So Vanek signed a contract that he can't live up to. Oh well. I guess we'll have to live with having a player who is "very good" instead of "elite." It's not the worst problem in the world.

5. At this point last year, most Sabres fans thought Pominville was overpaid and useless.

On point #3, There's talk now of the salary cap actually going down in the next cba. There might be a reason to deal Vanek after all. Imagine how hard it becomes to move players with that salary after the cba.

Agreed, but we don't have anyone else. At one point we had notions of having Paul Gaustad stand in front of the net but it later turned out he was awful at hockey.

Vanek's chemistry with Adam early in the season came from the fact that Adam could go in front of the net, leaving Vanek to maneuver.

No argument there.

Just another reason we don't need anynore 5´10" skill players brought in.

On point #3, There's talk now of the salary cap actually going down in the next cba. There might be a reason to deal Vanek after all. Imagine how hard it becomes to move players with that salary after the cba.

If the salary cap went down you'd see a commensurate rollback in player salaries.

That's a big reason why you consider moving Vanek.

I like Vanek as a player, he is easily the most talented hockey player the Sabres have on the roster, IMO, there isn't even a close second. With too many opportunities for Vanek to step up and take control of hockey games that passed buy I really hope the Sabres consider moving Vanek. Vanek is being paid to be a big time player that should be coming up in big time spots. Vanek is 28 yrs old and is completing his 7th NHL season. We shouldn't be here talking about consistency in effort and performance.

I have to say I am in agreement on Vanek and his career thus far. He just never seems to show up when we really need him, and for the money he makes, it's a waste.

I think if you want to construct a new core, as seems to be the popular sentiment, you remove Vanek as well as Roy. Keep Pommers as veteran presence if he really is a leader, but start drafting ready-to-play talent.

1. No one should be questioning his effort. Find one other player on this team wiling to stand in front of the net and take a pounding all game long, all season long.

2. He's playing hurt. Because of Point #1. But he keeps at it, so I'm wondering why his effort must be so terrible.

3. Vanek is overpaid but that really only matters for the salary cap. And since the free agent market is usually pretty bad, I wouldn't deal Vanek just to free up cap space.

4. Being paid "big time" money doesn't make you any more capable of being a "big time" player. If you double a guy's salary, he's not going to play twice as well. If you cut his pay in half, he's not going to be half the player. So Vanek signed a contract that he can't live up to. Oh well. I guess we'll have to live with having a player who is "very good" instead of "elite." It's not the worst problem in the world.

5. At this point last year, most Sabres fans thought Pominville was overpaid and useless.

I strongly disagree on point 1. You're talking about his courage - standing in front and getting whacked. His effort is something completely different: He floats on backchecks, does not work hard along the boards, and is a liability in his own end because he simply appears uninterested and unwilling to hustle. The only time you see any burst or quickness in his skating is when the puck is loose in front of an opponents goal or when he tries to get involved in a breakaway where he thinks he might have a chance to score.

He's selfish, unmotivated, and needs to go.

You people need to give it up about Vanek's contract. It wasn't a bad business decision, had Regier not matched Edmonton's offer and kept Vanek the same time they lost Drury and Briere everybody would have been calling for his head. Nobody in their right mind would have done any different. As far as getting all those first round picks had he gone to Edmonton, how has Edmonton been doing with all those first overall picks?

You people need to give it up about Vanek's contract. It wasn't a bad business decision, had Regier not matched Edmonton's offer and kept Vanek the same time they lost Drury and Briere everybody would have been calling for his head. Nobody in their right mind would have done any different. As far as getting all those first round picks had he gone to Edmonton, how has Edmonton been doing with all those first overall picks?

Edmonton has some real good young talent on their team. If they can get a solid goalie at some point I could see them being a playoff contender as early as 2013-14. Plus they aren't handcuffed with bad contracts like NYI.

If the team really is looking to cut salary somewhere look no further than Miller. As great as his stretch run was, he still hasn't passed Enroth in save %.

Edmonton has some real good young talent on their team. If they can get a solid goalie at some point I could see them being a playoff contender as early as 2013-14. Plus they aren't handcuffed with bad contracts like NYI.

No doubt they have great players, I just don't think with the talent they supposedly have that goaltending is the reason they're near the bottom of the league again. Haha, they're not handcuffed with contracts like NYI, but let's see the situation they're in when all these first overall picks ne to re-sign.

I just looked at NYI. Unless you mean Yashin's 2+ million for the next few years, where are the Isles hurting? If DiPi can't come back, no doubt they'll be able to get rid of him and break that contract, no?

I think he's talking about the fact that they have 8 UFA's at the end of the season.

Had Vanek gone to Edmonton and received 4 first rounders, how much would said 1st rounders contracts add up to? A whole lot more than what Vanek is being paid. So Buffalo would have had 4 first rounders, plus their own 1st rounders and a bunch of high school talent to go with because they would not have been able to fit under the cap.

You mean all those kids who are still 19 and 20 years old? Just fine. Which is why I'd trade Vanek this coming draft day, add a first rounder at the very least, and see if I couldn't get Nail or Grigorenko.

Had Vanek gone to Edmonton and received 4 first rounders, how much would said 1st rounders contracts add up to? A whole lot more than what Vanek is being paid. So Buffalo would have had 4 first rounders, plus their own 1st rounders and a bunch of high school talent to go with because they would not have been able to fit under the cap.

I'd willingly take my chances with guys like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Truth be told, those picks could have gone toward acquiring top end talent at the trade deadline or draft day year after year as well.

You mean all those kids who are still 19 and 20 years old? Just fine. Which is why I'd trade Vanek this coming draft day, add a first rounder at the very least, and see if I couldn't get Nail or Grigorenko.

I can see where you're coming from. But IMO if they want to gather up another first rounder I would deal Miller before I even thought aboout dumping Vanek. I still think he is a good goaltender at best, he will go through another slump next year and find something or someone to blame it on. With the tear he was on at the end of this year he would be worth something this offseason.

I can see where you're coming from. But IMO if they want to gather up another first rounder I would deal Miller before I even thought aboout dumping Vanek. I still think he is a good goaltender at best, he will go through another slump next year and find something or someone to blame it on. With the tear he was on at the end of this year he would be worth something this offseason.

I hear ya. And to make sure I don't sound like I'm anti-Vanek, the ONLY reason I'm thinking it's Vanek we need to trade is because I am basing a decision on what I'm hearing about Darcy not even C ONSIDERING getting rid of Leino so soon into his contract.

And as I just said in another thread somewhere, the way Leino is mailing this last game in, I truly wish Darcy would prove those people wrong and get rid of him so we can keep Thomas. But IMO, one of those two needs to go and the other one secure a LW spot with Hodgson and Tropp.

I hear ya. And to make sure I don't sound like I'm anti-Vanek, the ONLY reason I'm thinking it's Vanek we need to trade is because I am basing a decision on what I'm hearing about Darcy not even C ONSIDERING getting rid of Leino so soon into his contract.

And as I just said in another thread somewhere, the way Leino is mailing this last game in, I truly wish Darcy would prove those people wrong and get rid of him so we can keep Thomas. But IMO, one of those two needs to go and the other one secure a LW spot with Hodgson and Tropp.

You didn't sound anti-Vanek. There's no question his contract is hefty. But we all know Darcy had no choice but to match it. I'm with you on Leino. I have been a little bit impressed with the way he changed his gamme up around mid season to try and help the team in other aspects since he obviously wasn't going to score goals. But after what I heard him do after the Philly game in declining an interview because he wanted to go visit his buddies in the Flyers locker room negated all the support I gave Leino. Nobody would be dumb enough to trade for his contract. I'm with you, they just need to cut ties with Leino.

Way to go boys....lose 3 out of 4 in regulation in the most desperate, critical time of the year. Golf clap for making things interesting in March but overall, this team deserved what it got. Really disappointed they couldn't even get these late season losses to OT to at least get the loser point and give themselves a chance vs. Boston.

Yep. The regulation loss to the Maple Leafs - those were the sorts of games they needed to win more of all season, and didn't. Too little, too late. It was like they felt after they beat Washington at home, that they didn't need to do anything else. Boy were they wrong.

Also, for a while there this season, seemed like the team was trying to get the coach fired ala Washington Capitals... not sure why the change in heart.

And we complain about our front office??? (Yeah, I've had my gripes with them from time to time and forgot to look at other FO's around the league). My goodness, the Isles look like they're one of the most mismanaged teams in the league. Must be something in their water for corporate culture.

Archived