GDT - Buffalo @ Philadelphia - 4/5/2012 - 7:00pm

darksabre

Let's face it people, Myers and Ehrhoff weren't going to be playing in the first round of the playoffs, and if they did they wouldn't be totally effective due to their health. We probably would've lost to the Rangers in 5 games, probably 6 if our D was healthy.

Also, Ive been a long time fan of lindy Ruff. But I realized he needs to go. Put our assistant coach as head coach, he looked good behind the bench when Ruff was absent. How about Rob Ray as coach? That would be fun.

I wasn't the least bit upset at the end of the game last night. Actually, I was just happy that it was over. That was one of the most boring games I can remember. They Philly broadcast team was saying that it reminded them of a pre-lock out game. I supposed Buffalo had to do that with the 6 defensemen they had dressed, but man was that unwatchable.

edit: Oh, I did think one thing was absolutely hilarious though. Early when Weber roughed up Giroux, the Philly broadcast was praising Jagr for attempting to come to his aid. They conveniently ignored that fact that he was unable to push his way through a hobbit while doing it.

I wasn't the least bit upset at the end of the game last night. Actually, I was just happy that it was over. That was one of the most boring games I can remember. They Philly broadcast team was saying that it reminded them of a pre-lock out game. I supposed Buffalo had to do that with the 6 defensemen they had dressed, but man was that unwatchable.

edit: Oh, I did think one thing was absolutely hilarious though. Early when Weber roughed up Giroux, the Philly broadcast was praising Jagr for attempting to come to his aid. They conveniently ignored that fact that he was unable to push his way through a hobbit while doing it.

We were losing it at the bar. Gerbe just buries his face in Jagr's chest and pushes. It was....adorable.

Worst final 3 minutes of a "desperate" team I've ever seen. Philly was toying with the Sabres playing keep away. The Flyers probably could not stop laughing after that game. They weren't even trying that hard. Really, the Sabres in the playoffs would have been toast. At least now they can regroup, make changes and not delude themselves into thinking they are better than they really are.

I hope Sabres management/coaching was paying attention to how well the Flyers maintain puck possession and cycle. Men against boys in the last 3 minutes of the game. I'll take a 40-year-old Jagr and the intensity of Simmonds over anyone on our roster.

I hope Sabres management/coaching was paying attention to how well the Flyers maintain puck possession and cycle. Men against boys in the last 3 minutes of the game. I'll take a 40-year-old Jagr and the intensity of Simmonds over anyone on our roster.

Well said, i agree.

Worst final 3 minutes of a "desperate" team I've ever seen. Philly was toying with the Sabres playing keep away. The Flyers probably could not stop laughing after that game. They weren't even trying that hard. Really, the Sabres in the playoffs would have been toast. At least now they can regroup, make changes and not delude themselves into thinking they are better than they really are.

Worse than the Flyers laughing at the Sabres (although that alone is bad enough), Flyers fans must be doubled over with mirth at the Sabres performance last night. Despite being the team that Sabres and Sabre fans love to hate, Philly consistently drubs Buffalo every season. The Flyers organization is not afraid (obviously, after this past off-season) to make quite major changes in personnel. Yet, they still play the same aggravating but effective style that produces playoff appearances and the occasional run to the "final four". The Sabres organization, if they ever hope to achieve that level of success and consistency must undergo a paradigm shift in their thinking or be left with the status quo.....again.

At this particular point, I don't even want to speculate on who needs to go, or stay or whatever. I am just furious with this organization. After 41 seasons, some excellent, most disappointing, my patience is worn thin. I cannot live on half-delivered promises and sub-standard efforts. I'm not sure I can bear to hear one more "but just wait until next year!"

Time to shift into playoff mode - I will now be cheering for the Blackhawks. They were my favorite team prior to the Sabres entry in the league, and they have a South Buffalo kid playing for them. Now, when is that NFL draft?

tough loss. disappointing end to the season.

one of the local writers re-tweeted an out of town writer's observation that the 2011-2012 sabres did what the 2010-2011 devils did -- made a heroic run after they were left for dead and then fell just short. so, maybe we bounce back next year, like the devils did this year.

i will add this: last night's game was pretty clearly a forecast of what the team would have looked like in the playoffs. i was not a big fan of what i saw (rayzer's constant adulations notwithstanding).

Spot on. Yes I enjoyed the late season ride because thats all I expected them to be able to do however there in lies the rub.

I am a huge fan of this team since the mid seventies but after all these years supporting them I also refuse to just accept making the playoffs as accomplishing anything. If that puts me in the TSC group then so be it. Move over Deluca and Ghost because I am joining the band. The facts really do support the request for changes you both suggest.

Hell, I even like honoring former sabres players and rewarding employees like Lindy as much as anybody else. I say give him a nice position in the organization scouting up in Western canada where he can spend a little more time with his mom and dad before they are gone. This organization needs some changes that should run long and deep if they truly want to win Multiple cups like pegula said otherwise it is going to take a lot of luck and breaks there way to even win one as currently consituted and coached.

I am just Sorry I know I am not going to see it anytime soon. Same old wash rinse repeat I have seen so many times before. I might just need to embrace my second local team here the Pens for playoffs and I will actually root for Vancover form the west because of the Kassian/Erhoff connection . Now there your talking about winning formulas' and teams poised for multiple years of success,

Worse than the Flyers laughing at the Sabres (although that alone is bad enough), Flyers fans must be doubled over with mirth at the Sabres performance last night. Despite being the team that Sabres and Sabre fans love to hate, Philly consistently drubs Buffalo every season. The Flyers organization is not afraid (obviously, after this past off-season) to make quite major changes in personnel. Yet, they still play the same aggravating but effective style that produces playoff appearances and the occasional run to the "final four". The Sabres organization, if they ever hope to achieve that level of success and consistency must undergo a paradigm shift in their thinking or be left with the status quo.....again.

At this particular point, I don't even want to speculate on who needs to go, or stay or whatever. I am just furious with this organization. After 41 seasons, some excellent, most disappointing, my patience is worn thin. I cannot live on half-delivered promises and sub-standard efforts. I'm not sure I can bear to hear one more "but just wait until next year!"

Time to shift into playoff mode - I will now be cheering for the Blackhawks. They were my favorite team prior to the Sabres entry in the league, and they have a South Buffalo kid playing for them. Now, when is that NFL draft?

I hear ya. A good friend of mine who lives in NJ is a huge Flyers fan. We always go back and forth about our teams. Before the game last night he felt the mood around Philly was that they did not mind losing to Buf. The team and fans liked the 6 vs. 3 matchup better than 5 vs 4. Well go figure...Buffalo could not even beat a team that was definitely not playing their hardest. We've seen Philly so much more intense than that. Really a boring and bad effort by the Sabres imo. I don't care about injuries, you gotta be better than that. My buddy felt sorry for me that his team ended our season yet again...oh well. We get used to getting sand kicked in our faces around here.

I hear ya. A good friend of mine who lives in NJ is a huge Flyers fan. We always go back and forth about our teams. Before the game last night he felt the mood around Philly was that they did not mind losing to Buf. The team and fans liked the 6 vs. 3 matchup better than 5 vs 4. Well go figure...Buffalo could not even beat a team that was definitely not playing their hardest. We've seen Philly so much more intense than that. Really a boring and bad effort by the Sabres imo. I don't care about injuries, you gotta be better than that. My buddy felt sorry for me that his team ended our season yet again...oh well. We get used to getting sand kicked in our faces around here.

I hear you on that. My Best friend is Flyers all the way and he's just used to his team competing and being in the mix every year. Its sad really that we are used to getting sand kicked in our face but the worst thing is we have come to accept it. Year after friggin year.

Funny how you mention the Flyers just replacing players and still play the aggravating style they play. It's their personality and it's ingrained from generation to generation.

What is the Sabres personality? It used to be the high-flying fancy dans who couldn't finish of the mid-seventies. Personality got swallowed up in the 80s and in the 90s it went back to the high flying fancy dans who couldn't finish. Then it went to the hardest working team in hockey, followed by the Hasek Era, which featured 1-0, 2-1 scores. I think they've tried to come back to the high-flying fancy dans but this time with a smaller body frame.

Our personality needs to be redefined. The fancy dan era should be over forever and replaced with a personality that more suits the city. Hard working, gritty and resilient. This is what should characterize the Buffalo Sabres and not some sort of flash in the pan.

Funny how you mention the Flyers just replacing players and still play the aggravating style they play. It's their personality and it's ingrained from generation to generation.

What is the Sabres personality? It used to be the high-flying fancy dans who couldn't finish of the mid-seventies. Personality got swallowed up in the 80s and in the 90s it went back to the high flying fancy dans who couldn't finish. Then it went to the hardest working team in hockey, followed by the Hasek Era, which featured 1-0, 2-1 scores. I think they've tried to come back to the high-flying fancy dans but this time with a smaller body frame.

Our personality needs to be redefined. The fancy dan era should be over forever and replaced with a personality that more suits the city. Hard working, gritty and resilient. This is what should characterize the Buffalo Sabres and not some sort of flash in the pan.

I couldn't agree more.

It seems like teams like the Flyers, Pens, Red Wings, and a few others just "plug and play" every year. NO matter who they put on the ice, they are expected to win and compete at the highest level... Like was said above, it's ingrained into their hockey culture. The Sabres play in a very good hockey environment. Next year they need to assemble a team that first and foremost is dominant on home ice... Maybe that means bigger bodies with a couple Ennis types thrown in. Whatever it is...they can't suffer 2 or 3 injuries and have everything grind to a halt like this year. That doesn't happen in those other markets when they suffer a few injuries. Why here?

It seems like teams like the Flyers, Pens, Red Wings, and a few others just "plug and play" every year. NO matter who they put on the ice, they are expected to win and compete at the highest level... Like was said above, it's ingrained into their hockey culture. The Sabres play in a very good hockey environment. Next year they need to assemble a team that first and foremost is dominant on home ice... Maybe that means bigger bodies with a couple Ennis types thrown in. Whatever it is...they can't suffer 2 or 3 injuries and have everything grind to a halt like this year. That doesn't happen in those other markets when they suffer a few injuries. Why here?

Pittsburgh and Detroit do not belong in that same list as Philly. They may plug in secondary pieces, but that is infinitely easier when you're adding depth to Crosby-Malkin-Staal-Letang-Fleury and Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Lidstrom (ok, not for much longer)-Franzen-Holmstrom. What Philly has done this year deserves far more credit than Shero and Holland.

The Flyers did an impressive job rebooting their team from scratch, in large part due to the Sabres success post-lockout. And the Pens were a mess for several seasons while they were in financial disarray. Both teams are now able to spend freely, which is a party the Sabres have only just joined. I'm willing to give them more than one offseason with an open wallet before I declare them incapable of transforming the hockey culture. I think they're on the right path, but I also give them very little margin for error considering how quickly teams can overhaul their rosters in today's NHL. They can't afford to screw this up.

The Sabres need change in all areas, I think we can all agree on that.

Besides a new GM and coach it needs a different mix of players. We have some very good dmen locked in for years and some good young fwds.

But where Change really needs to come is in the front office.

Vancouver has said over and over that they want to be thought of like the Detroit Red Wings. And that is what we should be striving for as well.

The Canucks were out of the playoffs 3 of 4 years but since then one of the top teams in the NHL. They too, have and will make changes necessary to make the team a championship calibre one year in year out.

It takes time to be the Wings but that should be he goal.

The Sabres need change in all areas, I think we can all agree on that.

Besides a new GM and coach it needs a different mix of players. We have some very good dmen locked in for years and some good young fwds.

But where Change really needs to come is in the front office.

Vancouver has said over and over that they want to be thought of like the Detroit Red Wings. And that is what we should be striving for as well.

The Canucks were out of the playoffs 3 of 4 years but since then one of the top teams in the NHL. They too, have and will make changes necessary to make the team a championship calibre one year in year out.

It takes time to be the Wings but that should be he goal.

I think they rebuilt the blue line last year. Outside of some very minor changes there, maybe moving Leopold, that group is in good shape. Up next, you work on the forwards. At this point, I'm of the mindset that you build a team from the blue line out. They've got a good group back there, but just like any team, they're going to have to hope they can get depth from the young guys when the injuries happen. Now it's time to rebuild up front. Do that and they'll be in a good spot.

I think they rebuilt the blue line last year. Outside of some very minor changes there, maybe moving Leopold, that group is in good shape. Up next, you work on the forwards. At this point, I'm of the mindset that you build a team from the blue line out. They've got a good group back there, but just like any team, they're going to have to hope they can get depth from the young guys when the injuries happen. Now it's time to rebuild up front. Do that and they'll be in a good spot.

How would you feel about moving Vanek at the draft to grab a top 3 pick?

Pittsburgh and Detroit do not belong in that same list as Philly. They may plug in secondary pieces, but that is infinitely easier when you're adding depth to Crosby-Malkin-Staal-Letang-Fleury and Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Lidstrom (ok, not for much longer)-Franzen-Holmstrom. What Philly has done this year deserves far more credit than Shero and Holland.

Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall.

Datsyuk 171st

Franzen 97th

The Wings are the model sorry. The players you mentioned on the Pens are high picks, so I agree with you there. The Flyers have done a nice job but I like how the Wings go about their biz.

You put your finger on exactly what I was trying to say - what IS the Sabres' personality...and legacy? And why can't the Sabres be the team everyone hates to play? After having sand kicked in our faces for YEARS, when does this team bulk up and begin kicking some sand of its own?

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of moving him. I'm not so sure it would be involved in that type of package, but it could happen. I just don't see him being a piece that one of those teams would be looking to add in their current states, especially Edmonton.

Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall.

Datsyuk 171st

Franzen 97th

The Wings are the model sorry. The players you mentioned on the Pens are high picks, so I agree with you there. The Flyers have done a nice job but I like how the Wings go about their biz.

That's not the point though. Regardless of where they were picked, they are now elite players. So just like PIttsburgh, Detroit enters every offseason looking to find pieces that complement the elite players they currently have on their roster.

I think you'll find that if Ruff is still in charge, TV will be requesting a change on his own.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of moving him. I'm not so sure it would be involved in that type of package, but it could happen. I just don't see him being a piece that one of those teams would be looking to add in their current states, especially Edmonton.

That's not the point though. Regardless of where they were picked, they are now elite players. So just like PIttsburgh, Detroit enters every offseason looking to find pieces that complement the elite players they currently have on their roster.

It is the point because those 3 were added to the team as well. They were "plugged" in too!!!! The Wings have been doing this for 20 yrs.

i was thinking about the same thing this morning.

i have no doubt that #26 faded and became a shadow out there because he was struggling through difficult and painful injuries. what happened in the second half of the season wasn't a matter of him going through one of his streaks (well, maybe some of it was, but the majority of it seemed tied to injuries/maladies). i didn't get the sense that he was gripping the stick, as they say, i did not see him giving those bewildered upward gazes or slamming his stick into the boards when he came back to sit on the bench. the guy just did not look right when he was out there on the ice, and often looked gassed and pained when he returned to the bench.

i am concerned that the style he plays -- the abuse that he takes -- makes it a virtual certainty that he will be out of the lineup and/or largely ineffective for significant periods of time.

the conclusion i came to, though, was two-fold: (1) with his price tag, we would be required to take back some undesirable salary and (2) i do not think he would yield the sort of value we would hope for/desire.

I'm open to moving Vanek. But I'm willing to see that happen so he can finally be allowed to become the best player that he can.

I am against every aspect of that line of thought. I do not want him having a better career elsewhere. If he's going to be incredible, it better be here.

Archived