Myers to have Shanahan hearing

BetterDays06

It's almost impossible to figure out what the NHL is going to do with any given hit. I can easily picture a Shamahan video where any of the reasons for a suspension or no discipline discussed here are used. The height factor, malicious intent after taking a high stick, the quick turn, the follow through....it's like they decide supplemental discipline with the draft lottery machine, just instead of numbers they have justifications and whatever pops up determines if there's a suspension.

It's almost impossible to figure out what the NHL is going to do with any given hit. I can easily picture a Shamahan video where any of the reasons for a suspension or no discipline discussed here are used. The height factor, malicious intent after taking a high stick, the quick turn, the follow through....it's like they decide supplemental discipline with the draft lottery machine, just instead of numbers they have justifications and whatever pops up determines if there's a suspension.

And the top teams are much less likely to have their names come up.

Another reason this league is a joke. That's a boarding penalty. No hit to the head. A board.

This crap goes on every night with nothing and now Myers gets summoned?

What an effing joke.

Rickshaw -- you're certainly not the only one frustrated by this, but that was a dangerous play, albeit mitigated IMHO by Gomez turning his back at the last moment. There have been plenty of suspensions handed down this year for similar plays. If the roles had been reversed and it had been a Sabre that got rammed into the boards from behind like that I'd want a hearing and I suspect many others would as well.

Edit: and the calls of a conspiracy theory or unequal treatment for certain teams coming from many here are just silly.

Rickshaw -- you're certainly not the only one frustrated by this, but that was a dangerous play, albeit mitigated IMHO by Gomez turning his back at the last moment. There have been plenty of suspensions handed down this year for similar plays. If the roles had been reversed and it had been a Sabre that got rammed into the boards from behind like that I'd want a hearing and I suspect many others would as well.

Edit: and the calls of a conspiracy theory or unequal treatment for certain teams coming from many here are just silly.

As to the first bold, you are absolutely correct - there have been plenty of of suspensions for similar plays, but there have been more that were flat out ignored - many of them committed against buffalo players. The inconcistency fuels the conspiracy. In a kangaroo league like the NHL where in game screw ups that decide championships are covered up after the fact is it really surprising that they would have a credibility issue?

watch the video again closely. the boarding call should've never been called. campoli high sticks 57 right in the yap and that never gets called . all in all the stripes have been bad all season long

That hit still happens whether or not the call is made on Campoli. At best, Montreal gained possession right before Myers hit Gomez. It would never have been whistled dead until that moment.

Chara gets away with this every night. He almost killed Max Pacioretty and got nothing. If Myers gets a suspension, he probably deserves it, but when it happens every night and nothing happens it gets really frustrating.

So you really want to compare the face-to-face hit on Pacioretty to this one? Talk about intent or interference, you have an argument. But don't go comparing that to a hit from behind with a boarding call.

As to the first bold, you are absolutely correct - there have been plenty of of suspensions for similar plays, but there have been more that were flat out ignored - many of them committed against buffalo players. The inconcistency fuels the conspiracy. In a kangaroo league like the NHL where in game screw ups that decide championships are covered up after the fact is it really surprising that they would have a credibility issue?

I think someone would need to attack Kaleta with a hatchet before the NHL would step in.

It kinda looks like Tyler tried to force him down rather than into the boards. That being said, I'll take a 5 game suspension if he does that to Marchand (hopefully with more carnage).

Lucic? Myers already crushed Marchand twice in the last game.

So you really want to compare the face-to-face hit on Pacioretty to this one? Talk about intent or interference, you have an argument. But don't go comparing that to a hit from behind with a boarding call.

I'd dig up video of the hit from behind Kaleta took a few games ago and bring that in, and ask what's different.

as one of the beat writers pointed out on twitter (and maybe upthread?), shanahan will likely weigh this incident as well (even if not expressly):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5ysUDLTeg

p.s. isn't the hit on zubrus a little reminiscent of the nystrom-letang incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COONNB84ERc&feature=related

I wasn't really trying to compare the two, I was pointing out how frustrating it is that Myers is up for a hit that goes unpunished every night while players like Chara get away with attempted murder because they have Star Factor or play in Philly and Boston

You guys are nuts if you don't think that is suspension worthy. Gomez has his back to Myers the whole time watching the puck and Myers just lights him up.

2-3 games.

I agree, but whatever Meyers gets, f### Gomez.

I'd dig up video of the hit from behind Kaleta took a few games ago and bring that in, and ask what's different.

There's no need to dig up the video. It seems like it happens to Kaleta nearly every game. Their random phone call reviews for these hits are odd. It almost seems like they're randomly pulling in a guy or two each week just as a way of sending a "hey guys, be careful" message. There won't be any suspension here.

Another reason this league is a joke. That's a boarding penalty. No hit to the head. A board.

This crap goes on every night with nothing and now Myers gets summoned?

What an effing joke.

I agree - I'm struggling with the logic string here. Isn't this why the boarding rule exists? It was a penalty and it was called. Incidents like Lucic blowing up Miller and Chara nearly killing a guy, along woth more egregious acts should absolutely be reviewed. This was boarding. What next, he's going to start reviewing tripping penalties? Those can be dangerous too.

Archived