"Miller angry about Gaustad trade"

2ForTripping

I'd be happy to take Gaustad back if his cap hit was $2.5 million or less and being able to front load it definitely makes the contract more enticing to most players. Something like 4 years $10 million with $7 coming in year 1 and salaries of $1 million for the last 3 years would be fine by me.

pretty sure the new CBA is going to address these types of contracts. I don't know what's been put forth so far in the CBA talks, but it was something a lot of GMs mentioned they would like to abolish.

Honestly, If we had three good centers for 3 scoring lines, I would take Goose back in a heartbeat for our fourth line.

Something like:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville

Gerbe - Ennis - (someone not Stafford)

Leino - Roy - Foligno

Tropp - Goose - Kaleta

wouldn't be too bad. Just a thought. Heck, you can mix and match the top three lines however you want, but my point stays the same.

Not that I want to send this thread further down the rabbit hole, but......

That is Steve Ott money. I'd rather make a play for Ott than have Goose at that price.

If Steve Ott were a UFA he'd bring in more.

I figure that the Cap will rise to 68. Making the mean salary 3.1M for teams that spend.

Front load that contract and some GM will be thinking that you can always cash that contract in for a 2nd rounder at least come trade deadline.

Who thought Connolly would get 4.75?

GMs will overpay for Centers.

pretty sure the new CBA is going to address these types of contracts. I don't know what's been put forth so far in the CBA talks, but it was something a lot of GMs mentioned they would like to abolish.

Honestly, If we had three good centers for 3 scoring lines, I would take Goose back in a heartbeat for our fourth line.

Something like:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville

Gerbe - Ennis - (someone not Stafford)

Leino - Roy - Foligno

Tropp - Goose - Kaleta

wouldn't be too bad. Just a thought. Heck, you can mix and match the top three lines however you want, but my point stays the same.

"Someone not Stafford" literally made me laugh out loud. That's a great catchphrase waiting to happen.

Anyway, I'll throw this out to you and anyone in general who may know as I don't have much of a sense what's going on with the Amerks, but does Chewy (Szcstfcszlitzura) have ANY chance at all at being a defensive, shut down kind of center?

GO SABRES!!!

"Someone not Stafford" literally made me laugh out loud. That's a great catchphrase waiting to happen.

Anyway, I'll throw this out to you and anyone in general who may know as I don't have much of a sense what's going on with the Amerks, but does Chewy (Szcstfcszlitzura) have ANY chance at all at being a defensive, shut down kind of center?

GO SABRES!!!

thank you :ph34r:

I was thinking about that as I typed up my response there. After watching him in his call ups, I don't see why we wouldn't give him a shot at least. I also didn't bother to put Adam on there either. who knows.

he

GO SABRES!!!

he is a fringe NHL player who is nothing but depth on a team with serious stanley cup aspirations. Same with Ellis.

They are buddies and were teammates for like 10 years.

I think Miller is worried ... that is two members of "the core" moved in less than a year.

Some poster illuded to this in some thread or other, but Miller should worry less about this stuff and concentrate on his game. If he and the rest of the Sabres played better throughout the year they would not be in the mess they are in now and the Goose would probably still be here.

I grok this post.

what if it's for a front loaded deal with a cap hit of 2.5?

It doesn't matter if it is front loaded or not, it is still 2.5 in cap space, so my answer is no. I view Gaustad as a 4th line center(they need more offense from the 3rd line...think Stoll), and you don't pay 4th line centers 2.5.

I have no issue with Miller whining that his bff was traded and he's gonna miss him. I do take issue with him publicly criticizing the move. It's embarrassing to DR, TB, and TP. Unprofessional and disrespectful. Hopefully Enroth gets an opportunity again down the stretch, shows promise, and we can dump Miller in the off season.

Rob Ray just painted a picture of a Miller who is in it for himself, and not acting like a team mate, or a friend, for that matter.

Good. Roby was critical of him this AM too. And as Chz (i think) pointed out in the other thread, are you gonna take a paycut so they can pay him in July? Please.

Rob Ray just painted a picture of a Miller who is in it for himself, and not acting like a team mate, or a friend, for that matter.

Ray didn't like what Miller said, but he didn't rip him a new one the way Roby did earlier today.

Miller's comments are counterproductive at best. In this case, he should have just stuck to "athlete-speak" and said he was sorry to see his teammate go before launching into a canned response about focusing on making the playoffs. Not sure why he decided to rant about how it was proof he didn't make the decisions within the organization or comment on how a lot of people probably can't understand why Paul Gaustad is so great.

This place is a riot. We get mad when players feed us the canned athlete speak after games and use that as a negative mark on their character, but when a player is candid about a situation it's also a negative mark on his character.

He can say he'll miss Gaustad.

He can say he doesn't run the show.

What I believe irks some is he should have stopped there instead of going into the "I wouldn't have done it" part.

He can say he'll miss Gaustad.

He can say he doesn't run the show.

What I believe irks some is he should have stopped there instead of going into the "I wouldn't have done it" part.

Sure, but that's exactly the kind of speak posters on this forum have been begging for. They want a captain who will call out players to the media, they want fire and passion, they live for Terry Pegula making back-handed remarks about Miller's play. Now all of a sudden Miller is disagreeing publicly with the front office and that bothers them?

This place is a riot. We get mad when players feed us the canned athlete speak after games and use that as a negative mark on their character, but when a player is candid about a situation it's also a negative mark on his character.

You don't criticize your boss in the media unless you are stupid or looking to get fired. I don't think he's stupid, but maybe he made a mistake. As a veteran and media savvy player, that mistake should have been avoided. I've always appreciated his candor, but this is embarrassing to the organization (not unlike Pegula "my daughter could have made a save", fwiw). STFU and stop pucks.

Sure, but that's exactly the kind of speak posters on this forum have been begging for. They want a captain who will call out players to the media, they want fire and passion, they live for Terry Pegula making back-handed remarks about Miller's play. Now all of a sudden Miller is disagreeing publicly with the front office and that bothers them?

Exactly. Glad you don't work for me!

Yes.

Because no one publicly deflates this team like Miller does. Miller is basically saying he cares more about being comfortable making big $$$ playing hockey with his friends than he does about the team retooling for a cup run. Sure, it's an honest answer to a question but Miller needs to realize that type of honesty is only going to bring bad feelings and serves no positive purpose - especially for his current employers who are *finally* acting in the interests of winning the Stanley Cup.

Miller needs to have more perspective than just himself when he speaks publicly. He just comes off as a selfish whiner. It's embarrassing coming from someone who's supposedly a leader on the team. It makes him look like a spoiled little bitch.

If the Sabres new GM decided to trade Miller in the off-season and bring in a new goalie, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Miller's crappy play this season is as big a reason as any why they are closer to 15th in the conference than they are a playoff spot.

Maybe if Miller didn't give up 3+ goals for the majority of the games they wouldn't be in a situation where PG had to be shipped.

Here's my take on Miller. Take it for what it's worth. I've criticized him on here many times. I think his attitude stinks, I think he is an average goaltender at best, and I think up until recently he was too critical of his teammates' performances while never taking blame when he deserved it. It seems as though he's more open about his screw ups ever since Pegula openly criticized him. I think he is an important part of this team when he decides to play. Unlike many goaltenders in the league who can be up and down from game to game, Miller is usually consistent so when he is good he's probably good for a long string of games. And vice versa for when he is bad. I'd be more accepting of him if the staff didn't consider him a superstar and he was paid accordingly.

With that said, I like it when Miller speaks his mind. I wish more athletes were like that because these guys are professionals, if they can't take constructive criticism from a teammate speaking to the media they shouldn't be in professional sports. I wish the rest of the team would speak out about his performances on nights when Miller stinks up the joint. I agree with those who say goaltenders are an odd bunch (I remember an interview with Roloson on Versus after one of the playoff games last year and he was punching himself in the forehead lol......... sorry, kind of irrelevant but memorable). I'm sure in real life he has a dark personality and probably a difficult person to hang around with. I'm sure some of the things Miller says that we consider condescending and detrimental probably wasn't intended to be that way. I think that's why sometimes he pauses so much during his interviews because he's trying to think of what to say so it doesn't come out in a matter it wasn't intended. I'm sure he didn't like the trade, Gaustad played a big part in the defense and I'm sure he's going to miss that, not to mention the fact him and Gaustad are friends. I don't think Miller was implying that he should have had input on whether or not Gaustad stayed. I think it's getting blown way out of proportion. If Miller truly does believe he should have had input on the decision and is really upset at how this team is being ran, I'm sure he can ask for a trade during the offseason and DR would oblige. Miller seems to be on a tear lately and his game has improved greatly. Not sure if he's doing it so he is more attractive to teams next year if he does ask for a trade, or if he truly wants to win and thinks this team can go somewhere this season. I'd like to think the latter. Either way, I have to give him credit because at times this year it looked like he had given up completely and he's done a lot to improve his game.

In the buyers or sellers thread (at least I think it was there) there was a discussion that went along the lines of "not playing to win s disgusting and shouldn;t be tolerated". The point was related to the idea of mgt selling without concern for the short term and the point was made that players and coaches should perform without regard for draft position next season. What we have in Millers' comments is a player that is only concerned with the next win and doesn't really care about the next season and beyond implications of the trade. I guess we should expect nothing less from Miller (and the rest of his teammates for that matter).

Still, he does come off sounding like a whiny beeotch.

Archived