Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

In my mind Hodgson was Buffalo's best player yesterday.

Two perfect passes to create goals, and he was a monster on the dot.

The faceoffs are starting to come for him.

Definitely noticing the improved faceoffs. It will be interesting to track the numbers as the season goes on.

Somebody was saying Hodgson is another Roy. This is why he is not.

He's a hyper-competitive kid. If he has a hole in his game, he'll bust his ass to fix it.

And I think this is the quality that may eventually make this trade a clear win for Buffalo.

To me, he is the brightest spot in this dismal season.

Edited by dudacek

I still say we dealt Kassian for Foligno and not Kassian for Hodgson.

And you'd still be wrong.

Right now the development of Foligno and Kassian seem to be on similar tracks. Long term, IMO, this franchise would have been better off with both Foligno and Kassian in the Sabres lineup.

I'd still rather have foligno + Hodgson than Kassian + Foligno if that makes sense.

I would rather have all three but you gotta give up a youngin to get a youngin

That's understandable, I'm an old timer who has seen over the years that players like Foligno and Kassian are hard to come by. It was exciting for the two seconds that they were both Sabres. I am a believer in a bigger, stronger and tougher Sabres team.

Edited by DeLuca67

That's understandable, I'm an old timer who has seen over the years that players like Foligno and Kassian are hard to come by. It was exciting for the two seconds that they were both Sabres. I am a believer in a bigger, stronger and tougher Sabres team.

I understand the infatuation with what Kassian might become, but I cannot understand the lack of pure excitement for Hodgson. If Hodgson was a Sabres' draftee this board would be going gaga at his development and thoughts of what he can become.( I'm not talking specific to you). As we speak he is in the top 20 in scoring and climbing but instead some here in Sabrespace seem more infatuated about Armia or Catennaci(sic?)

I understand the infatuation with what Kassian might become, but I cannot understand the lack of pure excitement for Hodgson. If Hodgson was a Sabres' draftee this board would be going gaga at his development and thoughts of what he can become.( I'm not talking specific to you). As we speak he is in the top 20 in scoring and climbing but instead some here in Sabrespace seem more infatuated about Armia or Catennaci(sic?)

This. I think the play of Hodgson has been somewhat overlooked in everything else going on here.

I'll admit I'm a old curmudgeon. It's takes a lot for me to get excited about offensive players these days. As I've said before, I've seen a lot of talented offensive players come and go. Not trying to put what Hodgson has done down, at this point I have an idea of what i would like to see the Sabres become and certain players fit that vision and others don't.

Two things tempering the Hodgson excitement:

1. He's playing between our two best players so there's at least some question about how much of it is him and how much of it is Vanek/Pominville. (Yesterday was a good sign in that department though.)

2. He's still pretty lousy defensively. Every great Hodgson play can be paired with a horrible defensive play by Hodgson. That's not a total disaster since he's still young and can learn these things, but it does stick out.

Can't explain the Catenacci excitement (he's still a long shot to me) and the Armia excitement is because he's the most talented guy we've drafted since Vanek (Grigorenko is probably in that discussion now though).

Two things tempering the Hodgson excitement:

1. He's playing between our two best players so there's at least some question about how much of it is him and how much of it is Vanek/Pominville. (Yesterday was a good sign in that department though.)

I'm feeling good about Hodgson. He makes sound entries through the middle, and most shifts gets the puck to the scoring areas, or at least backs the defense up.

2. He's still pretty lousy defensively. Every great Hodgson play can be paired with a horrible defensive play by Hodgson. That's not a total disaster since he's still young and can learn these things, but it does stick out.

He looks pretty sound back-checking most of the time. The place he's been beat is in front of his own net when the D has coughed up the puck (Weber and Regher's come to mind recently) And earlier it was just a matter of a few errant passes.

He's pretty solid on the kill.

Not making excuses for him here, I'm just not worried about him being a defense liability, or making mistakes on open ice.

Can't explain the Catenacci excitement (he's still a long shot to me) and the Armia excitement is because he's the most talented guy we've drafted since Vanek (Grigorenko is probably in that discussion now though).

Catenacci is going to be an interesting player to watch. He's developed into a more stronger more feisty player and he's fast.

But by no means is he a lock to be an NHL player.

Right now the development of Foligno and Kassian seem to be on similar tracks. Long term, IMO, this franchise would have been better off with both Foligno and Kassian in the Sabres lineup.

Vancouver wanted Kassian or Foligno. So the trade would have been Foligno for Hodgson or Kassian for Hodgson. Thats why I compare those 2 instead of Kassian and Hodgson.

I'm feeling good about Hodgson. He makes sound entries through the middle, and most shifts gets the puck to the scoring areas, or at least backs the defense up.

He looks pretty sound back-checking most of the time. The place he's been beat is in front of his own net when the D has coughed up the puck (Weber and Regher's come to mind recently) And earlier it was just a matter of a few errant passes.

Not making excuses for him here, I'm just not worried about him being a defense liability, or making mistakes on open ice.

Catenacci is going to be an interesting player to watch. He's developed into a more stronger more feisty player and he's fast.

Hodgson has great vision....you could see that from his first few games here. He has a quiet cockiness in his offensive game....but like you said, in front and behind his own net, he has gotten outmuscled, and even goes into coast mode at times. Three or Four times this year he could have just tried to lay a partial body on a guy and he may have prevented a goal. In his own zone I long for the days of Derek Plante.

But I am starting to enjoy Hodgson for his vision and feeding.

Vancouver wanted Kassian or Foligno. So the trade would have been Foligno for Hodgson or Kassian for Hodgson. Thats why I compare those 2 instead of Kassian and Hodgson.

I doubt it.....Foligno was called up on an emergency basis last year and even Darcy stated the organisation had him slotted as 3rd line talent going forward. It was a rare moment of complete honesty, but enough other people close to the situation have said similar. If Foligno brings his attitude every night, he can be a real nice 15-20 goal scorer who is a beast to play against. If Kassian puts it all together he has legit 30+ goal skills, and can kill you in a physical alterication. That's just the holy grail right there, and until we are 5 years removed from the trade.....I will feel it was a mistake to let him go unless it was in a package for a legit #1 center.

I feel really good about Hodgson overall. I was just pointing out why we aren't all going completely bananas over his (really impressive) point totals. I'm looking forward to him being here a long time and getting even better.

He's a little short (5'10") but he's 191 pounds this year according to the OHL. If he can bulk up to over 200 pounds in a couple years, his size shouldn't be a huge issue. (He's not Ennis and definitely not Gerbe.) He's almost certainly the fastest player in the organization and he was always pretty feisty. http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/1539

He's a super interesting player, but he's not a lock and I'm not really sure where he fits in long term. I'm guessing he gets at least one full season in the AHL before we start thinking about him in Buffalo.

Cody's offensive game is blossoming but every rose has its thorn and this thorn is named defensive zone coverage. I think Ron Ron's defensive system is more condusive for players like Cody. Hopefully he becomes at least mediocre in this department.

I feel really good about Hodgson overall. I was just pointing out why we aren't all going completely bananas over his (really impressive) point totals. I'm looking forward to him being here a long time and getting even better.

He's a little short (5'10") but he's 191 pounds this year according to the OHL. If he can bulk up to over 200 pounds in a couple years, his size shouldn't be a huge issue. (He's not Ennis and definitely not Gerbe.) He's almost certainly the fastest player in the organization and he was always pretty feisty. http://ontariohockey...er/show/id/1539

He's a super interesting player, but he's not a lock and I'm not really sure where he fits in long term. I'm guessing he gets at least one full season in the AHL before we start thinking about him in Buffalo.

He's already bigger than Derek Roy. not that Roy is any benchmark for size.

The kid kinda has a physical resemblance to a young Ray Ferraro.

There's not enough offensive talent on the team as it is with Hodgson.

In my mind Hodgson was Buffalo's best player yesterday. Two perfect passes to create goals, and he was a monster on the dot. The faceoffs are starting to come for him.
In my mind Hodgson was Buffalo's best player yesterday. Two perfect passes to create goals, and he was a monster on the dot. The faceoffs are starting to come for him.

I'd take your comment 1 step further and say he was the best player on the ice yesterday. And yet, in the idiocy that is the 3 star selection, he didn't even get a star. Pominville, who failed to clear the puck on the shift that led to NJ's 3rd goal and was set up beautifully on both goals by Cody, ended up #1.

Two things tempering the Hodgson excitement: 1. He's playing between our two best players so there's at least some question about how much of it is him and how much of it is Vanek/Pominville. (Yesterday was a good sign in that department though.) 2. He's still pretty lousy defensively. Every great Hodgson play can be paired with a horrible defensive play by Hodgson. That's not a total disaster since he's still young and can learn these things, but it does stick out. Can't explain the Catenacci excitement (he's still a long shot to me) and the Armia excitement is because he's the most talented guy we've drafted since Vanek (Grigorenko is probably in that discussion now though).

In most games, yes. On Saturday, there were at least 4 great plays (2 of which ended up in the net courtesy of Poms) but I can't think of any truly horrible defensive plays that game.

I'm feeling good about Hodgson. He makes sound entries through the middle, and most shifts gets the puck to the scoring areas, or at least backs the defense up. He looks pretty sound back-checking most of the time. The place he's been beat is in front of his own net when the D has coughed up the puck (Weber and Regher's come to mind recently) And earlier it was just a matter of a few errant passes. He's pretty solid on the kill. Not making excuses for him here, I'm just not worried about him being a defense liability, or making mistakes on open ice. Catenacci is going to be an interesting player to watch. He's developed into a more stronger more feisty player and he's fast. But by no means is he a lock to be an NHL player.

Agreed, the horrible defensive plays I've seen have been extremely poorly chosen breakout passes and getting lost / lazy in front of the net after the puck's been in their end for a while. I haven't seen many lazy backchecks reentering the Sabres' zone. I doubt the bad breakouts will ever be completely eliminated - guys that are supremely confident tend to be more human than they realize, but do expect those to be reduced some. The getting lost in front after a long cycle should be something he can work on.

I loved CoHo's goal shorthanded tonight against the Canes. I think I rather have him than Kassian any time, his stats are way better than kassian too.

Funny you should say this because

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/06/cody-hodgson-scores-insane-goal-ruins-wednesday-for-all-canucks-fans/

To make today a little less dreary after that loss I will pull 2 quotes from this:

"- I then realize that Cody beat all five guys on the ice, plus the goalie. I then stare out my window, reflecting on life.

- Just when I think I’ve recovered I notice Ehrhoff hugging Cody. I then look at the Canucks powerplay this year. I then begin to sigh deeply."

Some blogger in Vancouver thinks we have a good PP... bahahahahaha. I will say we have a good penalty kill though and CoHo's goal was a thing of beauty.