Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Pointing out the few positives on a dreadful team while ignoring the glaring problems is.

Yes, but pointing out the few positives while acknowledging the glaring problems is OK, too. A good GM would have to recognize the diamonds in the turd pool, so that he doesn't flush them out with the rest of the crap. It's actually harder to spot the good players on a bad team than it is to spot the bad ones; much like it's hard to spot the bad ones on a good team (i.e., the guys who are being carried.) Both are there. If you're Darcy, you have to know which of your players to keep and which players on the good teams not to pick up. Too often, Deluca gives the impression that both those lists are empty.

Edited by carpandean

Yes, but pointing out the few positives while acknowledging the glaring problems is OK, too. A good GM would have to recognize the diamonds in the turd pool, so that he doesn't flush them out with the rest of the crap. It's actually harder to spot the good players on a bad team than it is to spot the bad ones; much like it's hard to spot the bad ones on a good team (i.e., the guys who are being carried.) Both are there. If you're Darcy, you have to know which of your players to keep and which players on the good teams not to pick up. Too often, Deluca gives the impression that both those lists are empty.

Actually I'm usually very specific on which players I'd like to see the Sabres acquire. There's no denying I have not thought much of this roster for some time and would gladly like to see any and all the pieces moved out. That's based up the lack of results from this current roster.

Edited by deluca67

You mean I watch successful teams and put an emphasis on what those teams do that make those teams successful? I think the point should be why doesn't everyone. If your not looking to the successful teams and what they are doing to be successful then what are you comparing what the Sabres are doing to?

But the Sabres haven't been bad because they lack power forwards. They have been awful because they have had 0 centers outside of Derek Roy for the past 7 years.

But the Sabres haven't been bad because they lack power forwards. They have been awful because they have had 0 centers outside of Derek Roy for the past 7 years.

[insert Gerbe joke]

My problem with Deluca's arguments are that they are rarely consistent, he always compares what makes that individual team/player good to what is bad about the Sabres. For example, he thinks Lucic is better than Bergeron because he is tougher, despite the fact that Lucic is MIA during the last few years playoffs. However, he then complains when a certain player disappears in the playoffs for the sabres, but never applies that criticism to Lucic or Kassian

They have been awful because they have had 0 centers outside of Derek Roy for the past 7 years.

That's one reason among many.

Having said that, Carp is right about not throwing out the baby with the bath water. There are plenty of good players on this roster.

Having said that, Carp is right about not throwing out the baby with the bath water. There are plenty of good players on this roster.

This forum is a much better place with voices like yours and carp around. I just feel the need to say that.

I think that this team has a ton of good up and coming young guys... my short list of guys I am high on...

Zemgus, Catenacci, Hodgson, Zadorov, and even Foligno (who I think will settle in this season)

[insert Gerbe joke]

My problem with Deluca's arguments are that they are rarely consistent, he always compares what makes that individual team/player good to what is bad about the Sabres. For example, he thinks Lucic is better than Bergeron because he is tougher, despite the fact that Lucic is MIA during the last few years playoffs. However, he then complains when a certain player disappears in the playoffs for the sabres, but never applies that criticism to Lucic or Kassian

First of all not many here would have given Bergeron any consideration prior to the reports of the injuries he played through.

Second, I would love to complain about Sabres disappearing in the playoffs, problem is they don't make the playoffs for me to have anything to complain about. The last time they were in the playoffs everyone was complaining about Roy and Connolly, I was hardly the leader or loudest voice in that regard.

Lucic? He was the Bruins 2nd leading scorer with 7 goals and 19 assists was a +12 with 102 hits in 22 games. I hope when the Sabres do make the playoffs again they have multiple players that disappear exactly how Lucic did. Kassian, I've openly talked about his need to be consistent.

I hope you wear a back brace when you post. Carrying all that straw can cause serious injuries.

I think that this team has a ton of good up and coming young guys... my short list of guys I am high on...

Zemgus, Catenacci, Hodgson, Zadorov, and even Foligno (who I think will settle in this season)

I will guess that LGR4GM could easily name another 5-10 prospects we would all love to see on the Sabres roster this season or next. Which means there are easily a dozen or so players projected to be on the Sabres this season that the fans would prefer not be. None of the remaining players are considered players this franchise can't do without.

First of all not many here would have given Bergeron any consideration prior to the reports of the injuries he played through.

Second, I would love to complain about Sabres disappearing in the playoffs, problem is they don't make the playoffs for me to have anything to complain about. The last time they were in the playoffs everyone was complaining about Roy and Connolly, I was hardly the leader or loudest voice in that regard.

Lucic? He was the Bruins 2nd leading scorer with 7 goals and 19 assists was a +12 with 102 hits in 22 games. I hope when the Sabres do make the playoffs again they have multiple players that disappear exactly how Lucic did. Kassian, I've openly talked about his need to be consistent.

I hope you wear a back brace when you post. Carrying all that straw can cause serious injuries.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhh :unsure:

I will guess that LGR4GM could easily name another 5-10 prospects we would all love to see on the Sabres roster this season or next. Which means there are easily a dozen or so players projected to be on the Sabres this season that the fans would prefer not be. None of the remaining players are considered players this franchise can't do without.

No there are actually no more prospects who could be on the roster outside of Armia, Larsson (not included before), Zemgus, Risto maybe. We can do without a lot of players but I think it is far to early to tell who they are this season. Even Stafford may surprise us.

Hodgson and Foligno I consider up and coming but are already on the roster so I excluded them.

Like everything else in life, people fall into 3 categories when it comes to debating issues.

1) black

2) white

3) shades of gray

I can be disappointed with what has happened the last 15 years or so, without totally dismissing the notion that there is some reason for optimism.

No there are actually no more prospects who could be on the roster outside of Armia, Larsson (not included before), Zemgus, Risto maybe. We can do without a lot of players but I think it is far to early to tell who they are this season. Even Stafford may surprise us.

Hodgson and Foligno I consider up and coming but are already on the roster so I excluded them.

Not even Grigorenko or Mcnabb? Hackett?

Not even Grigorenko or Mcnabb? Hackett?

Grigorenko is already on the roster so I discounted him as well. That was my error for not adding him to that note. McNabb I am not that high on and don't think should be on the Roster this year especially considering the glut of defenders already there. Hackett won't be on the roster this year with Miller and Enroth taking turns in net.

I see now that you did mention next year. At this time I would defer commenting on next year til at least halfway through the current season.

The ironic part about all this is the fact that just last month you were sticking up for everybody who posts negative comments about Darcy in a selfish attempt to attack me. Gotta love them double standards.

Attacking you is selfish? And there's a difference between "negative about everything" and "negative about Darcy." I didn't mean to hurt your feelings for months on end.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhh :unsure:

My reaction as well.

Attacking you is selfish? And there's a difference between "negative about everything" and "negative about Darcy." I didn't mean to hurt your feelings for months on end.

So we can't be negative unless it's about Darcy. That in itself is another double standard. You can't hurt my feelings.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Grigorenko is already on the roster so I discounted him as well. That was my error for not adding him to that note. McNabb I am not that high on and don't think should be on the Roster this year especially considering the glut of defenders already there. Hackett won't be on the roster this year with Miller and Enroth taking turns in net.

I see now that you did mention next year. At this time I would defer commenting on next year til at least halfway through the current season.

This is why I say we are looking at a 4-5 year rebuild at least. Look at the players who feel have a chance to make the Sabres this season, and next. Figure a time line for the remaining prospects and we are looking at a 3-4 year process for a complete roster turnaround. 2-3 years (over lapping) of growing pains.

Like everything else in life, people fall into 3 categories when it comes to debating issues.

1) black

2) white

3) shades of gray

I can be disappointed with what has happened the last 15 years or so, without totally dismissing the notion that there is some reason for optimism.

Hey.....them 3 chicks in Ohio made it out eventually.......anything is possible! And am I the only one who keeps thinking about Dukakis on the tank when they look at Hodgson on that thing?

This is why I say we are looking at a 4-5 year rebuild at least. Look at the players who feel have a chance to make the Sabres this season, and next. Figure a time line for the remaining prospects and we are looking at a 3-4 year process for a complete roster turnaround. 2-3 years (over lapping) of growing pains.

At least a 4-5 year rebuild, on top of the 1-2 already in progress? A rebuild doesn't mean the entire team will consist of prospects drafted post 2010.

Well if I am going to assume you mean 4-5yrs to cup contender. Working with that you figure you have Girgensons, Armia, Grigorenko, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Catenacci all making the team next year or at most (Catenacci and Zadorov) the following season. So that puts you 2 years in. You need them all to have at least 2 years of experience in the NHL to develop those instincts and settle in. Now some of those guys will be there in 2yrs some in 3-4. No you also have all the 2nd round guys to consider who are at least 2-3yrs behind this. Ergo yes if you look at this rebuild and are thinking CUP, 2017-2018 would be a good year for you.

In the meantime I think we see something we have missed, great blue nosed hockey develop here.

At least a 4-5 year rebuild, on top of the 1-2 already in progress? A rebuild doesn't mean the entire team will consist of prospects drafted post 2010.

Exactly we are not going to have just 2010+ drafted players. We will be competitive (playoff team) after this season if my reading of things is correct. Next season we get playoffs again and we will be a 5-8 team for a couple years before vaulting into the cup contender category.

I also think that there are vets on the roster right now that can help the rooks develop for at least 4 years, and help them make the playoffs in 2015 or 16. Leino, Ehrhoff, Vanek, and Ott are a good stable of vets to take tough minutes. Adding a shutdown center and nasty 4/5 D to the vet list would be nice.